Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 02-06-2014, 11:09 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

How many gallons per 1,000 with your spray rig?

I'm trying to get things calibrated so I can get the most done in a day without having to refill my spray tank. When I initially calibrated things, I had it spraying 7.5 gallons per 1,000 sq/ft but as I work the numbers, that just won't do. So I'm now working on getting my nozzle and pressure settings so that I can treat 1,000 sq/ft with about 3 gallons.

I'm curious to know if that's in line with the rest of you, if its a little high or a little low.

At 3 gal/1,000, I can treat 68k with one tank, which comes to roughly 13 properties at an average of 5,000 sq/ft of turf. I think that should put me at about mid-day needing to refill, which works OK. But I'm new to this so I could be way wrong...
Old 02-06-2014, 12:22 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Keep in mind your nozzle compliments your calibration. I usually set my gpm to where I want to be utilizing the regulator and calibrate without the nozzle. The nozzle comes into play after I have the flow rate established. With all that set you will have proper atomization of liquid without excessive recoil on the gun or over-spray.

The Arena, the Field of Battle, the site where the fight actually takes place is our own heart and all of our Inner Man. The time of Battle is our whole life.
Old 02-06-2014, 09:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

With my skids I try to get them to 1:1 ratio. New guys typically do good at 1.5-2 gal per k.
Old 02-06-2014, 09:44 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

The most important question is: are you adding fertilizer to your liquid mixture? If yes, you cannot get the solution highly concentrated, as it might burn the grass. Then 3 gals per thousand sqft is about right.

However, if you are not adding urea or other fertilizer--then you can spray a lot less water as carrier for your herbicide. Try to get down to a gallon per thousand sqft. Easy, reduce pressure to about 50; you may need to go with a different nozzle--perhaps a JD-9 spray gun. Or T-Jet.
http://www.teejet.com/media/7b90a63a...LoRes_p111.pdf
Old 02-06-2014, 10:12 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I am spraying urea, 1/2# per 1,000. I'm using this gun - https://www.gnci.org/mag-i-do-all-kit-assembly - with the yellow nozzle. I can try the blue and see if I can get it adjusted down and still get good coverage.

I think I'm going to play around with it some over the weekend and see how I can dial it in.
Old 02-06-2014, 10:23 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I am doing 2g/k
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-06-2014, 10:33 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcg View Post
I am spraying urea, 1/2# per 1,000. I'm using this gun - https://www.gnci.org/mag-i-do-all-kit-assembly - with the yellow nozzle. I can try the blue and see if I can get it adjusted down and still get good coverage.

I think I'm going to play around with it some over the weekend and see how I can dial it in.
How are you liking that gun? Is it as heavy as a JD9?
Old 02-06-2014, 10:37 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't really have that much experience with it yet, and have never used a JD9, but it seems well built. It isn't super light but it isn't all that heavy either. I think the hose is probably going to get heavy a lot sooner than the gun, no matter which gun it is but like I said, I'm still new to this so we'll see.
Old 02-07-2014, 04:16 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

i've got a 100 gallon skid and 50 gallon skid. I've got both of them calibrated at 1.5 Gallons per k with the blue lesco spray tips / chemlawn guns. I get about 100k sq. ft. out of a fill. I only spray pre/post emergent and i end up going granular on any fert i have to put down.

Servicing Dallas, Acworth, Kennesaw, & Woodstock, Ga
Old 02-07-2014, 07:04 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddensLawnCare View Post
I am doing 2g/k
Posted via Mobile Device
you put down fert with this as well at 2 gal/1k?