Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 02-07-2014, 10:01 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgialawn88 View Post
you put down fert with this as well at 2 gal/1k?
Only fert is liquid iron with a little NPK already mixed in.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-07-2014, 05:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RigglePLC View Post
The most important question is: are you adding fertilizer to your liquid mixture? If yes, you cannot get the solution highly concentrated, as it might burn the grass. Then 3 gals per thousand sqft is about right.

However, if you are not adding urea or other fertilizer--then you can spray a lot less water as carrier for your herbicide. Try to get down to a gallon per thousand sqft. Easy, reduce pressure to about 50; you may need to go with a different nozzle--perhaps a JD-9 spray gun. Or T-Jet.
http://www.teejet.com/media/7b90a63a...LoRes_p111.pdf
If the lawn you are spraying is irrigated (every lawn I service is) isn't it ok to spray fertilizer at lower volumes as long as it's watered in immediately? I've always done granular but I have a sprayer this year and want to start spraying fert.

We spray fert at 60 GPA at the golf course. I don't see why you couldn't spray a lawn at the rate as long as it's watered in.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-07-2014, 05:30 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

It would work. Question is are you going to schedule your applications around their irrigation schedule or are you expecting them to pay for extra watering so you don't have to spray at higher volumes. Are all irrigation controllers outside the house? If its in the garage and they aren't home what do you do? What if an area has a water restriction in place? Not saying it can't be done just playing devils advocate. Golf courses don't worry about the cost of water.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawnsharkMB View Post
If the lawn you are spraying is irrigated (every lawn I service is) isn't it ok to spray fertilizer at lower volumes as long as it's watered in immediately? I've always done granular but I have a sprayer this year and want to start spraying fert.

We spray fert at 60 GPA at the golf course. I don't see why you couldn't spray a lawn at the rate as long as it's watered in.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by fl-landscapes; 02-07-2014 at 05:34 PM.
Old 02-07-2014, 06:06 PM
LawnSite Member

With our skids we treat at 2gal per k. Thats pre/post and urea and have never had an issue. We go higher volume when doing fungicides. With our z-sprays we are doing .5gal per k with pre and post emergents only and have great results.
Old 02-07-2014, 06:58 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fl-landscapes View Post
It would work. Question is are you going to schedule your applications around their irrigation schedule or are you expecting them to pay for extra watering so you don't have to spray at higher volumes. Are all irrigation controllers outside the house? If its in the garage and they aren't home what do you do? What if an area has a water restriction in place? Not saying it can't be done just playing devils advocate. Golf courses don't worry about the cost of water.
Yea I didn't really think about that. A lot of them are older and home all day but for the ones that are not it might be a problem.

Even if I sprayed at 2-3 gallons wouldn't it still need to be watered in though?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-07-2014, 09:40 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

just fyi, It doesnt matter if you spray pre-m at 12 gallons per acre or 100 gallons per acre. neither is actually "watering" it in. both ways need watering. fert is different.
Old 02-07-2014, 10:13 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Yea I didn't really think about that. A lot of them are older and home all day but for the ones that are not it might be a problem.

Even if I sprayed at 2-3 gallons wouldn't it still need to be watered in though?
Posted via Mobile Device
Lot of variables. No one correct answer. Depends on turf type, temperature, health of turf sprayed, and how many pounds of, and what you have in your mix including but not exclusively your N source. I spray at 3.5 fert and insecticides and follow up with 1 gallon per k herbicides. Im not claiming to have the correct answer but I can tell you for sure if you take a mix at 1.5 gallons per k and spray the same mix at 3 or more the later will have less chance of burning or striping and be more effective with most insecticides. labels give a range of rates and some actually specify minimum carrier to not need irrigating after. Don't take it to the bank but three gallons is usually that threshold. Again it depends how much material you shoehorn into it.
Old 02-09-2014, 08:53 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgialawn88 View Post
just fyi, It doesnt matter if you spray pre-m at 12 gallons per acre or 100 gallons per acre. neither is actually "watering" it in. both ways need watering. fert is different.
So for fert how much would you want to water after spraying? Just a light watering?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-09-2014, 09:06 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

One thing to mention at the golf course we are spoon feeding. Youre only putting out around .15 lbs N per k at 1.2 gallons per k not watered after every 10 days. I'm gonna want to spray .5 N per k on my lawns.

Does liquid fertilizer have less potential to burn than soluble and can you get ammonium sulfate and potassium nitrate in liquid?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-09-2014, 09:28 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
One thing to mention at the golf course we are spoon feeding. Youre only putting out around .15 lbs N per k at 1.2 gallons per k not watered after every 10 days. I'm gonna want to spray .5 N per k on my lawns.

Does liquid fertilizer have less potential to burn than soluble and can you get ammonium sulfate and potassium nitrate in liquid?
Posted via Mobile Device
Do a search on liquid fert, good info. As always GreenDoc has great knowledge.

One thing about sprinkler systems, in my area some are so poorly designed I would not depend on them to water in liquid fert. They barely keep the grass alive in some places.