Register free!

Old 02-13-2014, 03:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Well, one question I have would be: Do you mix the same ratio of water with your product? Does that vary with the exact same product, or is that specific to the instructions?
Old 02-13-2014, 04:04 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

It is specific to the instructions. Application method may also be specific as well. Many of the products I use in my area call for flat fan nozzles on a boom, operated under specific parameters.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 02-13-2014, 04:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

So your app rate is calibrated based on how fast you walk...right? Or am I missing something here?
Old 02-13-2014, 06:34 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyRocker View Post
So your app rate is calibrated based on how fast you walk...right? Or am I missing something here?
Here's how I figured mine.

I measured a 20 x 25 area in my parking lot and marked the corners with paint 9so I can re-use it). This is 500 sq/ft. I put some water in my tank, set my pressure and selected a nozzle and then timed how long it took me to cover that area 2x. I then used the same nozzle/pressure and sprayed into a bucket for that amount of time and measured it. Whatever it came up to was my gross quantity per 1,000 sq/ft.

In my case, it takes me 60 seconds +/1 to cover 1,000 sq/ft and I have my nozzle and pressure adjusted to 3GPM so I'm applying 3 gross gallons per 1,000 sq/ft. The fert/chem that I'm applying comes out to about 3 oz per thousand combined so I can safely call it 3 gallons of carrier per 1,000.

Make sense?

It will be based on how fast you move, which nozzle you've selected and what pressure you're spraying at.
Old 02-13-2014, 06:52 PM
LawnSite Member

Here is a lot of beginning information. Page 85 for calibrating a lawn gun.

http://turf.uark.edu/publications/fa...0CDHORT200.pdf
Old 02-13-2014, 09:34 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

It is best, (in my opinion), to spray a large area at your usual pace and swath. Carefully mark the start and stop gallons level on your tank; (50 gallons is easier). Use a large rectangular grass area of about 12,000 sqft. Measure the area carefully.
Then calculate the number of gallons applied per thousand sqft. For instance, 50 divided by 12 equals 4.16 gal per thousand.
Naturally, you need a tank with graduations marked or some way to measure the solution or water applied. And you need a measuring wheel or tape to measure the area sprayed.
Old 02-13-2014, 09:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thank you guys for helping me with this. By the time I get this down, you will be certified to be college professors at Yale.
Old 02-13-2014, 09:52 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

So if I use 50 gallons, then spray lets say 8,000 square feet...then i will know that it is set at 50/8,000= 6.25 gallons/1,000 square feet....then calibrate until its to the specifications on the product label for the amount to be sprayed per x amount of square feet?
Old 02-14-2014, 10:44 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I think youíre confusing calibration with the suggested carrier volumes on the label. Manufacturers canít test all possible carrier volumes, so they test a range of volumes and list those ranges on their labels. For example, the Celsius herbicide label recommends that it be applied using a minimum of 25 gal/A. The Trimec Classis label uses older language. It says to apply 3.25 to 4.0 pts of product per acre with spray volumes of 20 to 260 gal/A (or 1.2 to 1.5 fl oz of product in 0.5 to 6 gal of water per 1000 ft2). All that means is that they have tested the product at carrier volumes in that range (20 to 260 GPA) and they have gotten good results.

The product application rate (using Trimec Classic as an example) is the 3.25 to 4.0 pts of product per acre. So, it doesnít matter what your carrier volume is, you only use 3.25 to 4.0 pints of Trimec Classic per acre.

Where the carrier volume comes in is that it helps you to know how much product to load into your tank. Your carrier volume tells you how much area a particular amount of mix will cover and the rate tells you how much product to put in the mix.

So (using your example), if youíre spraying at 6.25 gal/M, that comes out to 272 gal/A (maybe a little high, but this is just an example). Letís use the 4.0 pts/A Trimec rate to use a whole number. You would load into your tank 4 pints for every 272 gal of total mixture. If youíre only loading up 50 gallons, you can use the ratio (50/272 = x/4) or you can use the area figure (50/272 acres * 4 pts).

This thread has shown that there are lots of different application volumes to use and lots of reasons why to use them. But, the amount of product you put in the tank will always be calculated on how much product will cover the area covered by your carrier volume.
Old 02-14-2014, 11:01 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

When you are mixing the product with water, do you use the same amount of water per certain amount of product? I wish I could ask this in a way that makes sense. If it is particular to the label, then how are we adding different levels of product per gallon of water, I mean why is the ratio of water/product varying if it is the same product?