Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 02-15-2000, 04:35 PM
LawnSite Member

<br>what is the best way to measure a yard? If you use a landscapers wheel how do you use it? Are there better ways? How do you account for curves? <br>thanks for any input<br> Dingo
Old 02-15-2000, 04:52 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Well if its for mowing I just walk it off, number of steps = number of yards, this way I can also get the feel of the terrain, trimming obstacles, what have you. <p>I only accurately measure for installations. Mowing measurements dont have to be precise.<p>YMMV<p>Bill
Old 02-15-2000, 05:01 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I just measure for fertilizing. Measure the 4 corners of the lot and measure the house, Subtract the house from the total, if you have sidewalks and driveways that bother you then subtract a standard that you know i.e. 3 ft sidewalk x 50 ft lot=-150 sqft. You dont have to get too technical after all whose spreader is 100% calibrated correctly anyway.
Old 02-15-2000, 05:15 PM
LawnSite Member

I use paces except on my price per pace I adjust for the fact I am not pacing 3 foot stride, or a yard. My standard pace is 7.5 sq foot not 9.<br>I have a 28&quot; inseam is all.<br>
Old 02-15-2000, 05:23 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

if I need to know the dimensions of a lawn I pace it. knowing your stride plus or minus the inches to make a yard in legnth is the easy and accurate enough way to measure.<p>lots of homeowners know the dimensions of their property because they measure before you get there to see if you are trying to rip them on the cost per square foot. walk off the measure right and give it to 'em straight and they are comfortable with your ability. works for me.<p>practice makes perfect. I spent about 20 years popping woodchucks at distances of up to 500 yards. after the shot you always pace it off. ahhhh...those days spent in glorious adolesence!<p>GEO
Old 02-15-2000, 05:28 PM
LawnSite Member

Dingo,<p>Spend the 65.00 for a measuring wheel and you will find yourself money ahead. If you approach it on a professional basis from the start you won't regret having to cut someones lawn for 10% less than you should have been charging from the get go. Eyeballing a yard is deceptive and you may think your good at it but your only cheating yourself. You need to know how long it takes to mow a given area and how many square feet in that area and then you are able to develop a formula when you determine you per hour costs.
Old 02-15-2000, 06:50 PM
Banned

GOOD ADVICE.
Old 02-15-2000, 07:01 PM
LawnSite Member

A question related to Dingo's post, what is an average per square foot/yard/acre, etc. that is charged? I have seen the discussion on price per hour based on cost of equipment operation and overhead, but what is a good rule of thumb for quoting? <p>Thanks to all. Appreciate the information.<p>Brad
Old 02-15-2000, 08:36 PM
Banned

A measuring wheel is important. You can guess, but paces are really only guesses. I'd rather be able to have it nailed down precisely. The less variables involved, the better. <p>Once the mowing is figured precisely, you will be able to more accurately record and or predict performance times for other tasks. <p>Many people just eyeball. Just depends how important it is to you. Tearing a dollar bill in half and a half-dollar aren't the same thing. after spending the money, any of you would realize immediately after using it that you had made your money back just in peace of mind knowing you can more accurately predict task times. <p>I think it was finecut who said it, but yes, it is more than worth the money. Any of you old dogs not wanting to learn new tricks really should give it a thought. It took one inaccurate bid for me to quit measuring by paces. <p>Fifteen minutes or less of measuring on a small property isn't too much to invest in your future, especially if it helps you to price future work.<p>I measure linear ft of edging, sq ft of flower/bush beds and sq ft of mowing. You have to know square footage for good results and proper application of chemicals. Any pesticide certification program will tell you to measure, no matter what state you are in.&lt;p&gt;John
Old 02-15-2000, 08:44 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

could someone give me a list of the average price of<br>square foot mowing<br>linear feet edging/weedeating<br>thank you