Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 02-15-2000, 08:47 PM
jeffclc

While measuring is important, remember to take into account terrain, obstacles, type of grass, parking situation, location of property, gates, dog poop, debris in the yard, type of customer, ect. All these things factor into your price.<p>2 lawns can be the exact same square footage, and get the same service, mowing/trimming/bagging, but one could take twice as long to do as the other. Use your measurements as a starting point only.
Old 02-15-2000, 09:00 PM
LawnSite Member

Jeffclc's post is correct. I feel it is critical to have a square footage especially for fertilizing. I can then budget closer how much fertilizer I must purchase as well as see if I have my spreader settings correct once I start a round.<p>I fill you must use a wheel. It gives a closer estimate on sq. footage. Plus, if the customer see you using a wheel, it shows that you are making a serious effort to give them a well though quote and service. <p>When giving quotes also look up. If you are quoting leaf removal in your maintenance, you can get crushed during leaf season. I got several accounts last year because guys quoted cheap prices for mowing but then couldn't handle the leaves.
Old 02-15-2000, 09:13 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

okay we all agree that square footage is great now what? #'s anyone?
Old 02-15-2000, 09:13 PM
Banned

That is very true, terrain and general landscape must be taken into consideration for bidding. These are things you learn as you go. You'll do better some places than others. Sooner or later, you will be able to attribute that to factors you discover. Mowing a hillside or bumpy terrain would be more obvious factors that would slow you down and therefore make a property worth more than if it were flat, smooth ground.&lt;P&gt;John<br>
Old 02-15-2000, 09:41 PM
LawnSite Member

CJCland:<br>As stated in the previous posts square footage is just a start. Alot of the quote comes from experience and learning from mistakes on what is easy and what takes lots of time. <p>An Idea if you are just starting out. Take your own or a friends yard and measure the square footage and linear footage for edging. See how long it takes to mow trim edge etc. Then multiply the time by your hourly rate ($30-40 per hour is a good starting point IMO). That at least gives you a ballpark to start from on your estimate. If you are using linear feet, remember to factor in the natural areas. Most homeowners expect you to edge these areas as well.
Old 02-15-2000, 09:52 PM
LawnSite Member

I know I spare expense once in awhile (call me cheap), but my somewhat invention works and accuratly too. <br> If you don't want to spend the 60 bucks on a manufactured wheel - make your own. I made one out of a six-foot piece of 3/4&quot; pipe, an old push mower wheel, 1 drywall/wood/metal screw,and a bale counter off the back of a baler. I spent about a whopping $0.00 on it.<p> P.S. Sorry guys - I don't have any blueprints for it, but maybe Larry (jesus)can draw some up seeing how he has a good imagination
Old 02-15-2000, 09:59 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

thank you mountain man thats help me alot
Old 02-15-2000, 10:14 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I hate to say it but people are reluctant or wont give out their prices . I have tried to ask before and I got about as for as you did. Best thing to do is find a friend that mows in your area and ask him. People just dont give out prices but heres my help even though i am not too experienced in the field. I think that if you break down an acre to square foot you can get your square foot price and some of these guys charge 30 to 40 per acre and thats about what i charge if i can sometimes more sometimes less it depends where you live the type of work. You can have a small job that will take 8 minutes to do but you have to charge at lest 15 per cutting then there will be a job you will have to charge 100 for 3 hours of work. When you compare the two the 15 dollar will probaly make 3 times more per sq ft than the 100 dollar job but that is just the way it is . You got your small jobs which are quickes but are fast and easy then you got your bigf jobs which are hard, long and detailed but pay alot better. So try to ask around and get ideas but dont be suprized when they wont tell you or even laugh. I found that out myself.
Old 02-15-2000, 10:47 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

bedmir,<br>I don't think there is a lack of helpfulness on this board, even regarding pricing. Numerous posts have stated that hourly fees should range from $30-$40 per hour.<p>As far as price per square footage goes, the variation between sites and around the country are huge. Different sites have so many different parameters that square footage prices for mowing would range greatly.<p>Range: $.70/1000 to $15/1000. <p>Perhaps 1.50/1000 + 20.00 stop fee would be reasonable for the type of accounts I service.
Old 02-15-2000, 11:19 PM

Lets look at it this way. If we tell you a price, We would have to kill you. Ahhh just kidding. price fer square foot all depends on what size mower your using and how long it takes you to mow a given area. It's dirrerent for everyone. If we give you a figure, it's not of much value to you realisticly.