Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-07-2014, 11:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

permagreen magnum replacement engine

I'm thinking about replacing the honda gx200 engine on my 2007? permagreen magnum. I only do 20 some yards but can't have it broke down when i need it. It has 1030hrs on it, as far as I know its the original motor. Runs good, but occasionally leaks oil out the bottom somewhere. I pulled the engine and took the shield off the bottom of the head and it was full of dirt and crud. Does anyone have a good used engine for sale? And does anyone know if the Kohler courage 6.5hp is direct replacement?? Not sure whose local honda dealer, but my friend used to work at kohler dealer and that engine is supposed to be direct replacement, and only cost 250 or so.
Old 02-08-2014, 07:54 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by agent walker View Post
Runs good, but occasionally leaks oil......my friend used to work at kohler dealer

Yer friend must not be a mechanic eh ?

If the leak is under the cylinder shield, There's only two things it can be.....

The head gasket or valve cover gasket, If it "runs good" replace both these gaskets (15-20 bux), Re-adjust the valves and be done with it.

1000 hrs on a Honda ain't nut'n, And..... The last thing I'd ever do is replace a Honda with a Kohler.....

"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Old 02-08-2014, 09:59 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

he is, just not a honda one. I wasn't sure how carried away I wanted to get spending money on an old engine thats been run in fertilizer. But the guy I bought it from said they always used synthetic oil in it. I didn't know how many hrs is typical for that engine to last. I don't want to get more into fixing it then its worth! but at maybe 35hrs a year its not really worth it to put a new engine on it. Any good places to order honda parts online?
Old 02-08-2014, 10:18 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by agent walker View Post
he is, just not a honda one.
A engine is a engine..... It doesn't matter who's name is on it, All the needed info for this job is on the net..... Google is your friend !

I've bought parts from here which is where I priced those two measly gaskets; http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Honda/parts.html

I've got GX160's - 340's and 390's that have been in my rental fleet over 20 years, Only two started smoking and all I had to do is re-crosshatch and install new rings. The cylinders are hard and seldom wear any at all.....

"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Old 02-08-2014, 11:52 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I've been using those guys for honda parts for quite a while. They have the best prices that I know of, and they ship fast. They also let ya know of any B.O. items.

......AMF!
Old 02-08-2014, 01:02 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

The engine on those uses a 2:1 reduction with a wet clutch that is all Honda. So the question becomes does Kohler even offer such an animal. Second, do the dimensions fit where the Honda was. Third is the shaft in the right location as the honda is?

Basically what I am getting at is if you really want to replace the engine, get another Honda. I would figure around $600 for a new Honda GX200 RH2.

Tags
honda gx200 , kohler , magnum , permagreen