Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 02-20-2014, 10:30 PM
LawnSite Member

New guy

Hi
I am in Toronto new to the business starting snow plowing this winter did pretty well 80 clients not bad .
My question is i am a one man show as of now and want to get an idea of what i should buy to start lawn maintenance residential to start..
As of now only have a few clients but want to buy equipment that i can grow with and get the most out of looked at the following any opinions?

2014 toro commercial heavy duty 21"
2014 toro turfmaster commercial 30"
Echo back pack blower pb- 770 commercial
Echo Weed wacker trimmer srm-266t commercial
Echo Hedge trimmer hc-152 commercial

Also instead of a trailer i was thinking to remove my tailgate and install the Banner truck loading ramp seems like a good idea.
I drive a 2011 ford f250 short box.
Anyways any help would be great.

Last edited by mikecharles; 02-20-2014 at 10:37 PM.
Old 02-20-2014, 10:33 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikecharles View Post
Hi
I am in Toronto new to the business starting snow plowing this winter did pretty well 80 clients not bad .
My question is i am a one man show as of now and want to get an idea of what i should buy to start.
As of now only have a few clients but want to buy equipment that i can grow with and get the most out of looked at the following any opinions?

Also instead of a trailer i was thinking to remove my tailgate and install the Banner truck loading ramp seems like a good idea.

Welcome to LawnSite! I wouldn't bother with the 30 and get a 36" walk-behind instead.

"You have the ability to choose which way you want to go. You have to believe great things are going to happen in your life. Do everything you can - prepare, pray and achieve - to make it happen."
- Dr. Benjamin Carson

"Leadership - leadership is about taking responsibility, not making excuses."
- Mitt Romney

"The Constitution only gives people the right to pursue happiness. You have to catch it yourself."
- Benjamin Franklin

Old 02-20-2014, 10:37 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Also starting out if your on a budget, I would get a stihl or redmax kombi system. One handheld motor that can have edger, trimmer and pruners. Get a good back pack blower and a 36" like gallihergreen said and you will be good to go.
Old 02-23-2014, 09:42 AM
LawnSite Member

Don't mow so much starting out... More clean up's, mulch, odd jobs, tree work... Want work that you get paid for at the end of the job.

Small chipper, Toro dingo..

Bucket Truck/Chipper

Landscapes/Hardscapes

7 Trucks
2 Loaders
1 Mini skid steer
A Army of MEN

Old 02-23-2014, 11:33 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikecharles View Post
Hi
My question is i am a one man show as of now and want to get an idea of what i should buy to start lawn maintenance residential to start..

I drive a 2011 ford f250 short box.
I wouldn't get a 21 and a 30. The production difference between the 21 and 30 wouldnt make the investment worth it. I started last year, with a 48 hydro walk behind with a sulky, and 21 commercial. This combo has been great for me. I make great time on the larger lawns, squeeze into most back yards and have a 21 to take care of the small areas. I try to use the 48 everywhere I can, if I can't get into a backyard with the 48, I price it accordingly. Even if it means loosing the account. If its a lucrative account, I will offer to widen the gate with a prepayment of x amount of cuts.

My equipment list is as follows, and so far I haven't had a problem nor felt I needed more equipment.

Exmark Viking 48 hydro
Exmark 21x
Stihl FS70 trimmer
Echo PAS-266 Multi tool with straight edger and string trimmer
Husky BT460 blower
Echo HT150 hedge trimmer

The PAS-266 is my backup to my trimmer. If the trimmer dies, I can put what ever attachment I need on it. If i take a job and need another tool, I can buy the attachment, that costs a lot less than a dedicated tool.

Of course if you went with a similar setup, you would probably need a trailer. That being said, a trailer does open a lot of versatility to your operation.

Some customers may want you to mow and do a clean up. Hard to take the debris away when your mowers are in your truck bed. And a return trip will cost you time and money. Need to be efficient to make money.

Need to do a small mulch job while your on site mowing? Load the mulch in the truck, and haul the equipment on the trailer.

Doing a larger mulch job? Load the truck and the trailer with mulch.

Some customers will insist on bagging the clippings. With your equipment in the truck bed, you may not be able to do this, thus loosing the customer.

Same goes for doing a quick shrub trimming on your mowing route. It may only take 30 min to trim, but what do you do with the trimmings?

If your going for a "justmowit" business plan, then never mind. But if your going for more of a full service outfit, then make sure you consider the versatility and potential extra revenue a trailer could provide.

Generally, with what you have above, I would get a 21 OR a 30. Not both.

Last edited by TuffTurfLawnCare; 02-23-2014 at 11:41 AM.
Old 02-23-2014, 01:34 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

30" commercial mowers are really expensive for how much less production value they add. A 36" walk behind is a way better investment.

Get a trailer. Don't put it in the back of your truck, if you're going to be doing anything other than mowing. Just Mowing companies can get away with this for efficiency purposes, but in reality, a growing landscaping business needs a trailer.
Old 02-23-2014, 08:29 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenningsLandscaping View Post
30" commercial mowers are really expensive for how much less production value they add. A 36" walk behind is a way better investment.

Get a trailer. Don't put it in the back of your truck, if you're going to be doing anything other than mowing. Just Mowing companies can get away with this for efficiency purposes, but in reality, a growing landscaping business needs a trailer.
+1 here

30" mowers are only useful for two things.

1) for companies with small lawns that have insanely stupid high turn over rates and the 30" mower takes basically no training
2) for companies that do lawn only push mowers can fit on but need higher production than the 21"
San Diego, San Fran and Flushing are places Ive been where i can think of this working out well