Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 02-08-2014, 01:37 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

The policy limits generally have a smaller effect the price than the deductible amount. When you got the gl quote, what was the deductible.
Old 02-08-2014, 01:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

She never mentioned. It was a phone quote and she seemed pissed off to even have to talk to me. As soon as I told her it was a new business she was obviously ready to get off the phone. Kept informing me "you probably can't afford this" and eventually asked "Is there anything else I can help you with today". At that point, I hung up. I answered phones for a year for a company and never acted that rude to a potential customer/client.
Old 02-08-2014, 01:50 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

So I would call , or go see , another independent agent. A good place to start would be the agent your parents use for their insurance. If that person doesnt offer the gl line of insurance, they can probably refer you to someone
Old 02-08-2014, 01:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ztman View Post
So I would call , or go see , another independent agent. A good place to start would be the agent your parents use for their insurance. If that person doesnt offer the gl line of insurance, they can probably refer you to someone
I did visit my parents insurance agent. They referred me to the company that quoted the $1500. Also said they have no other referrals, that the company the referred to me is the only one they refer to. Go figure.
Old 02-08-2014, 01:55 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonesLawnCareWV View Post
Thanks for the info. I'm looking around at some of the other insurance threads on LS (most of them archived) and seeing that some are finding million dollar policies for a for a few hundred, 300k for ~150

A plan like that I could afford and would want - coverage for any situation. But I don't understand why a local agency would quote me $1500 for only 100k worth of coverage. They did mention that their rates are higher if the business is new (less than 3 years old), but how do they expect a brand new business to afford that when they aren't operating for lack of insurance!!
we where in your same shoes for a while. spend 2 hours calling around. My price had a 1k swing depending on who i was getting the quote from.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-08-2014, 01:57 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I see Geico has on line gl insurance quotes for business, give that a try
Old 02-08-2014, 02:02 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Can't get the online quote for Geico. Says I'm ineligible for the Hiscox services they offer. Go figure. Tried that one early on. Perhaps I don't know which "Primary Service" to select. They have an entire list and the only thing relevant to lawn care is literal "Landscaping" which is what gives me the error saying they don't offer it here.
Old 02-08-2014, 02:04 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonesLawnCareWV View Post
Can't get the online quote for Geico. Says I'm ineligible for the Hiscox services they offer. Go figure. Tried that one early on. Perhaps I don't know which "Primary Service" to select. They have an entire list and the only thing relevant to lawn care is literal "Landscaping" which is what gives me the error saying they don't offer it here.
Shop brokers. They can generally get quotes from multiple systems kinda like priceline does for traveling.

Sending PM
Old 02-08-2014, 02:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'm so overwhelmed with this insurance deal its unreal. 19 years old, juggling a family, full time college, trying to get my business going, and more and more fees piling up to get that business going. I can't find any insurance brokers around here, all the agents simply want you to buy their insurance and not consider anyone else. Half the online-quotes I'm getting are absurdly expensive or are asking questions that I literally have no idea what the answer would be. And the local agents don't seem to have any interest in a young adult starting a new company; they shrug me off just like my family has done.
Old 02-08-2014, 02:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Afraid for Monday to come.. my phone is going to be ringing every 5 minutes with quotes and people trying to sell my more insurance than I'm asking for.

Tags
insurance