Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-20-2013, 12:56 PM
LawnSite Member

Looking for buying advice on a new ZTR mower

Hello everyone, finely got around to creating an account, but I've been lurking on the site for awhile now...

After years of having an average yard of whatever happens to be green and growing and mowing with an old Murray 42" rider that was given to me I finally decided it was time to get lawn to be proud of and as such, its time to get a mower to go with it and help make it look its best.

My current yard is about 1/3 acre, but I do own about 3 acres of vacant lots that we will be building a new house on and need to keep mowed to keep the city off my back. The yards are all flat with the ditches being the only slopes needing mowed. As for the mower itself, I don't have any brand loyalty, but as I told my wife, I want a mower that will leave a beautifully cut lawn and great stripes. Budget wise, I don't really have a set budget yet, but I'm willing to pay for a quality mower that is going to last a long time.

I'm sure I'm probably leaving some needed information out, but thank you in advance for any advise.
Old 08-20-2013, 04:43 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Are you having to transport your mower to different locations to do this lot mowing? Is a walk behind out of the question? I ask cuz it will save you money and they are not as heavy when it comes to mowing in (sometimes soft/softer soil) drainage ditches.

To get a feel for dealer support you might ask a few local lawn mowing companies who they like and more importantly who they don't like to deal with. I fully realize that everyone wants to save money, but getting the best bang for the buck over time usually starts with good dealer support for when the unexpected/unanticipated happens.

Good research is available right here at LS re: brands/models/etc...
Some folks are so contrary that if they fell into a river,
they'd insist on floating upstream.
~ Josh Billings
Old 08-20-2013, 05:25 PM
LawnSite Member

I will need to transport to the other lots, but I've got a 20' car trailer so size/weight isn't an issue. As for checking with the local lawn companies, I will do that, but it seems most of them are running walker mowers, which narrows it down to 2 dealers in the area.
Old 08-20-2013, 09:15 PM
LawnSite Member

Kubota is my first choice exmark is my second then hustler scag gravely I choose kubota because I have 3 kubota Nd exmark dealers in a 50 mile radius all with great service so for me they are my top two but the others are great also but there isn't a dealer for 70 miles on them. Just talk to people and do research and then when you think you've got it do more ad you can even demo mowers that's what I'm doing now good luck with your journey it can be a pain in the but
Old 08-20-2013, 11:33 PM
LawnSite Member

From the little bit of research I've done on the commercial mowers, just about every major brand is sold at a dealer within about a 30-40 mile drive from here, but as for service after the sale from each of those I still need to check on that. Haven't completely decided yet, but I was thinking of sticking to around a 48" deck, since I've read that the larger decks have a tendency to scalp more than the smaller decks.

I've heard the Kubota are nice mowers, will definitely check on them... how is the cut quality and do they stripe well?
Old 08-21-2013, 11:21 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FGuy View Post
From the little bit of research I've done on the commercial mowers, just about every major brand is sold at a dealer within about a 30-40 mile drive from here, but as for service after the sale from each of those I still need to check on that. Haven't completely decided yet, but I was thinking of sticking to around a 48" deck, since I've read that the larger decks have a tendency to scalp more than the smaller decks.

I've heard the Kubota are nice mowers, will definitely check on them... how is the cut quality and do they stripe well?
as far as scalping in concerned you should be fine with something in the 52-60 range
if you want to really get something with an amazing cut and striping get a lasted articulator
you are going to spend more money up front, but you will be able to get down in those ditches without scalping with these.
Im not affiliated with them, but i like to brag on them because the manufacture is literally down the road from me. Iv been there and met the guys that build these things and service them....they are the best crew you could ask for. I even got a chance to meet the CEO and talk with him. He is as down to earth as they come.
anyways....heres a link
enjoy
http://www.lastec.com/lastec2/Produc...ries61Cut.aspx
Old 08-21-2013, 11:54 AM
LawnSite Member

The lastec's are good looking mowers, but unfortunately the nearest dealer is 6 hours away.
Old 08-21-2013, 11:57 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FGuy View Post
The lastec's are good looking mowers, but unfortunately the nearest dealer is 6 hours away.
call them up and see if there is a golf course close to you that has some of their machines. If so, you could probably hop over there and check some out
Old 08-21-2013, 12:52 PM
LawnSite Member

The little kubota 221 diesels with the 48 or 54 decks are sweet little machines
Old 08-21-2013, 04:59 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern grass View Post
The little kubota 221 diesels with the 48 or 54 decks are sweet little machines
Little mowing deck maybe, but I'll bet their heavy. A diesel engine mower might outlive you...so put it in your will!
Some folks are so contrary that if they fell into a river,
they'd insist on floating upstream.
~ Josh Billings