Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 02-09-2014, 06:58 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

If the owner likes the tree it could be cut down and allowed to resprout. Pick a good stem and remove the rest. Pruning every few years will be enough to control the size.
Old 02-09-2014, 08:48 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for the replies guys. Lots of comments to take in. Yes the tree is on my property so there no lawsuits or anything like that waiting to happen. I enjoy the tree here next to the windows as it blocks the view into the windows for people coming down the road. Just from looking at the tree it appeared to been getting top heavy as the top is starting to spread apart and I know someone mentioned about the snow on the tree causing sagging but actually the tree looks like that all the time. The tree is on the north east side of the house. I think the house actually helps keep alot of the wind off the tree. The tree splits into the 2 trunks at about 6-7 ft up.

Right at the moment I just dont want to cut the tree down. We enjoy looking at the tree and having it here. The tree is 15 years old or so I think. We had just bought the house last year but I grew up with the original owners son so know the place very well. If I was to just cut off 10ft of the tree to eleiminate most of the weight. How would the tree handle it? I have heard these trees are very tolerant to cutting.
Old 02-09-2014, 09:05 PM
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mxrider52 View Post
Thanks for the replies guys. Lots of comments to take in. Yes the tree is on my property so there no lawsuits or anything like that waiting to happen. I enjoy the tree here next to the windows as it blocks the view into the windows for people coming down the road. Just from looking at the tree it appeared to been getting top heavy as the top is starting to spread apart and I know someone mentioned about the snow on the tree causing sagging but actually the tree looks like that all the time. The tree is on the north east side of the house. I think the house actually helps keep alot of the wind off the tree. The tree splits into the 2 trunks at about 6-7 ft up.

Right at the moment I just dont want to cut the tree down. We enjoy looking at the tree and having it here. The tree is 15 years old or so I think. We had just bought the house last year but I grew up with the original owners son so know the place very well. If I was to just cut off 10ft of the tree to eleiminate most of the weight. How would the tree handle it? I have heard these trees are very tolerant to cutting.
Your emotional attachment for this tree is incredible.
Just make sure your home owners policy is paid up.
I really do hope you have no future problems with regard to your tree.
easy-lift guy
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-09-2014, 11:01 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mxrider52 View Post

dude just get rid of it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-10-2014, 08:31 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

If it looks like that normally it might be a dahoon holly. When you cut down most trees the regrowth is vigorous. I cut down a maple that had storm damage about 6 years ago and let it come back. It is now larger than another maple (they matched) across the yard. It grew about 6 feet a year.
Old 02-10-2014, 10:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by windflower View Post
If it looks like that normally it might be a dahoon holly. When you cut down most trees the regrowth is vigorous. I cut down a maple that had storm damage about 6 years ago and let it come back. It is now larger than another maple (they matched) across the yard. It grew about 6 feet a year.
Hey you might be quite right about it being a dahon holly.I googled dahon holly and found a image comparing all the different leaves of hollys. I was trying to zoom in on a picture of the leaves I had to see what the leaf looked like and it does look like a dahon holly leaf. From what I remember the leaves did not have the prickly tips and from the size comparisons I think you are right it a dahon holly. Is there any different care for them?
Old 02-11-2014, 06:59 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I think they can tolerate a little more water. Growth habit of dahoon is pretty distinctive, that's what I guessed on.
Old 02-11-2014, 10:41 PM
LawnSite Member

You can take the top out no problem tree is not big enough to ever cause major damage to home especially if you take top out
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-12-2014, 08:25 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Middle Tennessee Lawn View Post
You can take the top out no problem tree is not big enough to ever cause major damage to home especially if you take top out
Posted via Mobile Device
Yea that is what I am saying. I am not worried about home damage from it splitting or anything. It close enough to house if it was to split it would just brush the house anyways. It would never gain enough speed to damage anything. Maybe put a dent in the gutter but that would be it. I think I am just going to top it down to the gutter line and call it that for now and then trim it every year.
Old 02-12-2014, 08:45 AM
LawnSite Member

Should I top this American Holly tree?

If you're going to top it just take it down...