LawnSite Member

Pine straw

How do you quote pine straw jobs? Thanks,
Old 02-09-2014, 05:18 PM
LawnSite Member

I quote by the bale.
Old 02-09-2014, 05:28 PM
LawnSite Member

pine straw estimation is a moving target. I honestly walk the property with a pen a paper (which you should always have to take notes) count out how many bales you believe you might need. Lets say you count 120 bales...go ahead and quote it for 130 bales to be sure you have enough. Multiply that by your bale price. Depending on where you are and the price of pine straw it is pretty common around here to get 2x's what you paid for it, installed.

Hope this helps.
Old 02-12-2014, 07:19 AM
LawnSite Member

That does help. How many square feet would you say one bale covers? Thanks,
Old 02-12-2014, 08:30 AM
LawnSite Member

square feet not a good idea (at least not for us) for whatever reason over the last 3-4 seasons our bales have varied more than you would think they should... Grab a few bales from wherever you get them and spread them as thick as you want it then i guess you could measure the area. Maybe do this at your house or shoot even on the yard and then pick back up and put into trash bag?!
Old 02-12-2014, 10:14 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

If the beds are clean and everything is trimmed I charge 1.25$ to 1.50$ per bail, once the season starts I don't do it.
Old 02-12-2014, 01:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

We charge 2 to 3 dollars per bale over our cost depending on the job size and travel distance. For good thick coverage an average bale will cover 6 by 6 feet.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-12-2014, 10:35 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

What I always do is try to talk to the customer and look at the property. I am upfront on how we charge for pine straw. We get pinestraw for 6 dollars a bale and pick up, deliver and install for 12 or double the price. I tell them I'm guessing that it should take "x" amount of bales and it should be "x" dollars. If we use less your price will be reduced. If we use more your price will be slightly hire. Inform them that you are a professional and you do this everyday and normally very close to the number you estimated. I normally estimate slightly hire. People like getting a lower cost than estimated. That also builds a relationship for your trust and honesty. Always be honest. If people want a firm bid , I bid heavy and extra. There is nothing worse than not making money because you under estimated or thought you and your crew were superman. The double your price method for straw is the easiest way.
Old 02-13-2014, 07:29 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcl4slc View Post
What I always do is try to talk to the customer and look at the property. I am upfront on how we charge for pine straw. We get pinestraw for 6 dollars a bale and pick up, deliver and install for 12 or double the price. I tell them I'm guessing that it should take "x" amount of bales and it should be "x" dollars. If we use less your price will be reduced. If we use more your price will be slightly hire. Inform them that you are a professional and you do this everyday and normally very close to the number you estimated. I normally estimate slightly hire. People like getting a lower cost than estimated. That also builds a relationship for your trust and honesty. Always be honest. If people want a firm bid , I bid heavy and extra. There is nothing worse than not making money because you under estimated or thought you and your crew were superman. The double your price method for straw is the easiest way.
This^ Remember if you are only charging $1-$3 per bale you may just be covering ur actual cost after buying it, going to get it, loading it bringing it back and unloading it then putting it out. If you are a weekly 10-12month customer i usually do it for 10.50-11.00/bale other than that we are around 12-12.50
Old 02-13-2014, 10:18 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I quoted a 200 bale job for 1.25$ per bale and the feller said I was too high. I didn't argue with him, I just got off the phone real fast. Ill do some little jobs on the cheap this time of year, and 1.25$ per bale is cheap.