Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 02-11-2014, 03:44 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have one f-450 12' flatbed that has milk crate storage down one side for fittings. It's about 8 crates long by 4 crates high. Then we have four rki boxes down the other side, two boxes long by two high.

Pipe rack above the cab for PVC storage and a fold up ramp that we can pull the trencher into the bed if need be. We also pull a 18' trailer with the mini skid and attachments behind it. We can keep 5-7 systems worth on the truck.

I also have a f-250 service body with a pipe rack, we pull a 12' behind it for the mini skid. We can keep about 2-3 systems on this truck.

Then we have a 20' goose that has fitting storage down the sides, no wider than the wheel wells. Pipe storage down the sides above the wheel wells on each side. We can carry a large amount of fittings and pipe as well as the bobcat and mini skid. Or we can load up both mini skids if there is a lot of trenching.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-11-2014, 05:47 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmonster304 View Post
Do you mean like a small box truck? I like my setup it is good for service but doesn't hold enough for my average install which is why I bought an enclosed trailer. I personally hate vans. I don't like them because they are too easily cluttered and you have to climb over everything to get to your parts. But if you keep it neat I could work ok.
Posted via Mobile Device
I hadn't thought of small box trucks but I guess that would work. I saw a used Chevy Astro Cargo van for sale on my local Craigslist. It seemed like a low price for what I could get out of it but also have reservations about having to climb into it to get parts.

Does anybody run compact trucks like S-10s or Ranger with a utility body on it? I'm thinking this would be nice for a service only vehicle.
Old 02-11-2014, 06:03 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsujammer View Post
I hadn't thought of small box trucks but I guess that would work. I saw a used Chevy Astro Cargo van for sale on my local Craigslist. It seemed like a low price for what I could get out of it but also have reservations about having to climb into it to get parts.

Does anybody run compact trucks like S-10s or Ranger with a utility body on it? I'm thinking this would be nice for a service only vehicle.
I may get laughed at for this, but this is the setup that we use for commercial irrigation maintenance. We've run this type of setup for the last 15 years and it's worked great for us. For commercial irrigation maintenance work where the guys are going to a know set of jobs on a weekly basis we're able to fit everything that we need in a small truck like this. The gas mileage is also great!

Old 02-11-2014, 06:33 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalLandscapeMgmt View Post
I may get laughed at for this, but this is the setup that we use for commercial irrigation maintenance. We've run this type of setup for the last 15 years and it's worked great for us. For commercial irrigation maintenance work where the guys are going to a know set of jobs on a weekly basis we're able to fit everything that we need in a small truck like this. The gas mileage is also great!

That looks like my first truck. It was my personal vehicle that turned into work truck. It worked ok for service, installs were a challenge though.

Old 02-11-2014, 06:41 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I know a few people with this same truck. They seem to like it.

Old 02-11-2014, 07:05 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Yeah. They are not practical for installs by any means but for irrigation checks and repairs they work great. We run the big crewscape trucks for installs.

Old 02-11-2014, 10:01 PM
LawnSite Member

Before I went out on my own, during the summers I worked for a guy who kept all his equip and parts in a shortbed F150. he had fittings and heads all in milk crates x2 tall, and had saddle toolboxes for bushings, barbs, etc. A ladder rack held enough pipe for the day's repairs. When we installed systems, he had a beat up 20' trailer for his miniskid, pipe rack, and some big plastic bins of heads and common fittings bolted down.

For me- as a small company that performs diff types of work, my irrigation maintenance setup is removable. I have x2 Weatherguard PackRat pull-out toolboxes I bought used filled with fittings and all (organized by 3/4", 1", and 1'+) and have 6 or 8 milk crates stacked on top of the boxes for heads, slip-fixes, short pieces of pipe, etc. All my repair tools go in a plastic, waterproof handheld toolbox. If I purchase a full box of heads, I try to leave them in the box and put that on the truck. The two big toolboxes are mounted to a plastic pallet, and I pick it up and put in the back of the truck when we need to use it with my Dingo (pretty heavy though).

https://www.google.com/search?q=pack...2F%3B494%3B305
Old 02-12-2014, 02:19 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:

Nobody's laughing at a guy with 46 trucks except the dmv and the insurance carrier.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-12-2014, 07:09 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:

How does it effect the life of the little trucks? I have always wanted to get a small truck for our repair guy but I was worried about tearing them up. What kind of mpg do they get loaded down?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-12-2014, 07:20 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I used to have a e-250. Loved working out of it , hated driving it. Now I have a ranger , a f-250 and an f-350 . All have 3 tool boxes . 1 cross box and 2 side boxes. Then milkcrates in the bed. Trailer has same setup. 1 cross box and 2 side boxes.