Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-10-2014, 10:00 PM
LawnSite Member

New Guy that needs help!!

Hey guys this is my first post on lawn site although I have read a lot of things on here when I have problems with my equipment. I had been working for a local lawn care company for years until a month ago the owner informed us he is retiring and we are all losing our jobs. I had bought a Scag 48 inch walk behind about 4 years ago from him and have been cutting 6 lawns in my neighborhood for about 3 years. Since all I have know since graduating high school is cutting grass, I've decided to go big and start my own business. I bought a 61 inch turf tiger, 2 Stihl fs250's and a Husquvarna backpack blower, and a 14 foot trailer from the owner I worked for. I have a 2003 Ford Explorer V8 and it seems to pull all of it fine with no problem until I can afford a truck. So the equipment I'm all good on, and I have 10+ years of being a Forman of a crew cutting everyday. The reason I'm posting your asking is I have no idea what to do or where to start on how to get a legal business. I have my original 6 lawns and I'm picking up 30 yards that my old company did last year and I have mowed before and I plan to pass out flyers in some neighborhoods around me. Like I said I'm all good on that stuff, it's just the businees aspect I have no idea what to do on. How to I record my tax info? How do I get a legal business name? Do I need a dot number? Please help out I'm really lost, I have tried searching on the internet on how to start one in Kentucky but it just keeps telling me you need equipment such and such and a trailer and crap like that. Please help! Thanks!
Old 02-10-2014, 10:22 PM
LawnSite Member

I would make some kind of business plan. It won't take long. You can find samples online. Register name with the secretary of state. Get yourself a EIN number from the IRS. Get insurance if you haven't already. With all of the above you can now go and open up a business checking account. If I am missing something I am sure someone will chime in. Looks like you have a nice setup with equipment already. I used to live in Lexington when I graduated high school. It was a zoo then. Traffic is insane now. I would definitely get as many accounts as I could in one area to cut down on your drive time. Good Luck!!!
Old 02-10-2014, 10:24 PM
LawnSite Member

I wanted to also add at least get quickbooks so you can keep track of your billing for taxes.

Last edited by superrman77; 02-10-2014 at 10:25 PM. Reason: .
Old 02-10-2014, 10:51 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Kentucky has a site here, to help you get started. You need to figure out what you want to call your business and do a search, to make sure it's not already taken. Once you get your name established, then, apply for your state's business license. That'll get you your state tax ID number. Then, go to the IRS site and apply for your FEIN.

Once you get those things done, you have to get separate everything for your business. You'll need: business checking account, business credit card, business insurance, and some type of software for bookkeeping. It's imperative you keep your business and personal banking matters completely separate.

After all that, you'll need to get all your promotional stuff going (apparel, business cards, signage, etc).

'13 Hustler X-ONE, 60", Kohler ECV749 EFI
'05 Hustler FasTrak, 42", Honda GXV530
'13 Toro Timemaster 30"
'02 Lawn Boy SilverPro 21"
Stihl BR600 blower
Stihl BG55 blower
Stihl FS55R trimmer
Stihl KM55R Kombi system
Stihl MS180C chain saw
Stihl HS45 hedge trimmer
RedMax Reciprocator
Echo SRM225 trimmer
Echo GT-2000 trimmer
Gravely WB edger
Husqvarna 580BTS blower
'06 Chevrolet Silverado
'13 Bravo Star, 7'X12', V-nose
Old 02-10-2014, 10:58 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmb1799 View Post
Hey guys this is my first post on lawn site although I have read a lot of things on here when I have problems with my equipment. I had been working for a local lawn care company for years until a month ago the owner informed us he is retiring and we are all losing our jobs. I had bought a Scag 48 inch walk behind about 4 years ago from him and have been cutting 6 lawns in my neighborhood for about 3 years. Since all I have know since graduating high school is cutting grass, I've decided to go big and start my own business. I bought a 61 inch turf tiger, 2 Stihl fs250's and a Husquvarna backpack blower, and a 14 foot trailer from the owner I worked for. I have a 2003 Ford Explorer V8 and it seems to pull all of it fine with no problem until I can afford a truck. So the equipment I'm all good on, and I have 10+ years of being a Forman of a crew cutting everyday. The reason I'm posting your asking is I have no idea what to do or where to start on how to get a legal business. I have my original 6 lawns and I'm picking up 30 yards that my old company did last year and I have mowed before and I plan to pass out flyers in some neighborhoods around me. Like I said I'm all good on that stuff, it's just the businees aspect I have no idea what to do on. How to I record my tax info? How do I get a legal business name? Do I need a dot number? Please help out I'm really lost, I have tried searching on the internet on how to start one in Kentucky but it just keeps telling me you need equipment such and such and a trailer and crap like that. Please help! Thanks!
The best way to do this is look up your local chamber of commerce, walk right in the door and say "what do I need" and they will dump more info at you than you can process.

They will totally set you up and point you in the right direction for everything.
This is what they are there for.

So my next question is…this guys is retiring…so why don't you taker over everything he has , instead of buying bits and pieces from him?
What else does he have that you aren't already getting?
Are there more lawns out there?
You can use more than 36!
Old 02-10-2014, 11:00 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPendagast View Post
The best way to do this is look up your local chamber of commerce, walk right in the door and say "what do I need" and they will dump more info at you than you can process.

They will totally set you up and point you in the right direction for everything.
Not here. My city and county clerks were of no help, either. Figured it out, on my own.

'13 Hustler X-ONE, 60", Kohler ECV749 EFI
'05 Hustler FasTrak, 42", Honda GXV530
'13 Toro Timemaster 30"
'02 Lawn Boy SilverPro 21"
Stihl BR600 blower
Stihl BG55 blower
Stihl FS55R trimmer
Stihl KM55R Kombi system
Stihl MS180C chain saw
Stihl HS45 hedge trimmer
RedMax Reciprocator
Echo SRM225 trimmer
Echo GT-2000 trimmer
Gravely WB edger
Husqvarna 580BTS blower
'06 Chevrolet Silverado
'13 Bravo Star, 7'X12', V-nose
Old 02-10-2014, 11:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Well it sucks you're losing your job, but hey, you're getting a bunch of lawns right out the gate from it. Everyone has already given you great advice on getting started, just wanted to say congrats on your new venture.
Old 02-11-2014, 02:18 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks everyone for the suggestions it has really helped!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPendagast View Post

So my next question is…this guys is retiring…so why don't you taker over everything he has , instead of buying bits and pieces from him?
What else does he have that you aren't already getting?
Are there more lawns out there?
You can use more than 36!
The reason I'm not taking over is he doesn't want to sell the company and he is basically sold the other mowers and trucks to other people. Got the 30 that are residential and the others were commercial. I no working on getting more but need yo get this stuff done first!