Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 01-28-2014, 01:10 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

FXL moved production to Mexico?

Heard this from my local Ewing the other day. They said that FX has moved into new manufacturing facilities and that the process had caused some delays and shortages of some products.

I imagine that this an effort by Hunter take advantage of NAFTA and cut costs.

At least they haven't moved to China.

Wondering how it will effect product quality and if it will add more time to order processing in the long run, or make it smoother once they work out the bugs.
Old 01-28-2014, 05:55 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Hey Gregg... remember when Bill tried to move some production to Mexico? Hopefully FXL does not experience the same issues. I wonder if this is a first effort for them, or if they already have some production of other lines established there?

I have noticed a trend in manufacturing in some sectors, including Lighting. It would appear that large increases in the cost of labour in China, combined with long transport and import delays, and quality issues are resulting in a shift in manufacturing back to North America. Seems that with all of the issues (above) it is not actually that much less expensive for small scale producers to make their products here. Hopefully the trend continues.

www.integralighting.com

www.facebook.com/INTEGRA.Lighting

Affiliations: IESNA, IALD, IDA, AOLP, LO, MBA
Old 01-28-2014, 07:30 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

This is some what on topic. But the last time I was at clarolux they were getting setup to start making some of not all of there lights in Greensboro,NC. I thought that was cool.

Old 01-28-2014, 09:52 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I heard a piece on the radio over the weekend about "re-shoring", or bringing manufacturing back to North America. They talked with people from GE about high tech appliances and how having manufacturing closer to consumers makes sense because of rising labor costs in China, increased shipping costs and the need to make product design changes a couple of times per year and having a more reliable supply chain.

There will be fewer manufacturing jobs because of automation, and they will require higher skill levels. Meanwhile other companies are bringing some of their production back, including Apple (Mac Pros in Texas and glass displays in Arizona) and Motorola/ Google (Moto-X phones in Texas).

http://www.npr.org/blogs/parallels/2...-are-reshoring
Old 02-16-2014, 09:13 AM
LawnSite Member

My recent past experience after there move has been delayed product. Some product that was once a week lead time turned into a month. Unfortunately for FXL my customer has jumped from FXL to Vista. Horizon has other options for our customers but I sure hope they work out the kinks soon because I really like the product and the guys there are great. It's still being manufactured the same, so the quality of the product is super. They are just going through some changes at this time.
512-632-9621