Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 02-27-2014, 10:16 PM
LawnSite Member

I finally landed an install

While this may seem ridiculously minute to others, I finally got an install job. We have a customer for whom we will be installing irrigation, new plant material, removing some trash gum trees, and completing some light carpentry.

The system is pretty basic; level, rectangular lot with rectangular house in the middle. Trenching x3 sod zones w/ 5000 series rotors, x1 shrub zone w/ 6" sprays, and I'm installing extra pipe to where a valve would go for a possible Phase 2 shrub bed. 1 1/2" mains, 1" laterals bed from middle of each zone. Hanging outdoor timer on side of house. Manifolding the x3 sod zones together in jumbo box, and x2 spray zones in a separate (1 of which will just be capped). Trying to currently convince the homeowner to install a separate 1" meter. I'll take some pics for the forum to criticize jk jk

Last edited by AWilsonCreativeServices; 02-27-2014 at 10:25 PM.
Old 02-27-2014, 10:36 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Best of luck to you. Keep us posted.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-28-2014, 01:32 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I still remember my first install system.......33 years and except for normal wear and tear on fixed sprays, still the same mechanical richdell timer....tried to convince owner to replace but just an old timer like myself. Good luck and hope no real big hiccups along the way
Old 02-28-2014, 09:18 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

You mention a separate 1" meter, what is the current meter that you will use? Big flow difference between 5/8" & 1". Plus if you are teeing off the existing house line it may be only 3/4 or 1". One of the most commone mistakes I see made is exeeding the available water supply, volume/pressure per zone.

On the possible future expansions go ahead and install a valve with wire, MUCH easier to do now vs. later and a valve is less than $15.

How about a rain sensor.
Old 02-28-2014, 11:14 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

we like photos
Old 02-28-2014, 01:53 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Here's a pic of mine

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-01-2014, 06:03 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Loving the pics brotha!!!!!!

Old 03-02-2014, 05:31 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Best of luck- I remember my first, I was only 15

You might want to check up on local codes before you start. Here in nc a separate meter is a state and local requirement.

Back flow prevention also is a very serious code issue you will need to follow as well. Check with your local water purveyor and inspections dept for rules on which type of back flow valve you will need to install.

Since 1994
www.kosterirrigation.com
Old 03-03-2014, 08:56 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks to all for the comments and encouragement. As far as I am aware, AL does not require a separate meter by law, thought I always advocate for installing one for pressure purposes (I am going to check before we get started). I suspect the customer will agree and we'll start putting it in when the meter's put in. Backflow on a new meter is a must ( I do believe that one is required). Rain sensor is going in, too. Question on that- do y'all prefer the little catch basin types with some sort of media in them, or do you like the in-ground soil moisture testers?
Old 03-16-2014, 01:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWilsonCreativeServices View Post
Thanks to all for the comments and encouragement. As far as I am aware, AL does not require a separate meter by law, thought I always advocate for installing one for pressure purposes (I am going to check before we get started). I suspect the customer will agree and we'll start putting it in when the meter's put in. Backflow on a new meter is a must ( I do believe that one is required). Rain sensor is going in, too. Question on that- do y'all prefer the little catch basin types with some sort of media in them, or do you like the in-ground soil moisture testers?
Depends on what your site is like and what the controlling factor is. Does the soil hold a lot of water like clay? Are there drainage issues? The cheaper soil moisture sensors I have worked with interrupt communication between the clock and valves and its one sensor in the field. Best of luck, I did my first install when I was 16. If I could do it again . . .