Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 02-12-2014, 04:59 PM
LawnSite Member

PJ trailer worth the extra cash?

Im going to be buying a larger trailer this year and have consider getting a PJ brand but wondered if they are worth the extra cash that they cost compared to your regular run of the mill trailers? If you have a PJ trailer I would like to here your thoughts? Likes, dislikes and do you think they are worth what they cost. Im looking at either a 14 or 16 ft tandem.
Old 02-18-2014, 07:26 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I've had several PJs. They're great trailers but I'm not sure if they're much better than most others.

My dealer used to sell PJs and Load Trails primarily. But once he started carrying Maxeys, that's what he sells mostly in the 14'-18' range. His big heavy trailers are mostly PJs. What other brands are in your area?
Old 02-18-2014, 06:38 PM
LawnSite Member

We have a 24' PJ deckover and I'm impressed with its quality. Wires aren't exposed, well built and it even came with manuals. I don't know whether their quality extends throughout its line of trailers but I'm sure it does. We've had experience with plenty of H&H utility trailers and while they're not bad for the money, I would pay more for a PJ as my next utility trailer.
Old 02-18-2014, 11:49 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

They are a regular run of the mill trailer, they are not junk but definitely not the best. Its a good trailer for the money but if its used daily their a lot more options that will last years longer.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-19-2014, 12:21 PM
LawnSite Member

There is just not to much to choose from in my area when it comes to a heavier built trailer. There is a guy that will be opening up in a few weeks that is going to be a dealer for Gator Made trailers. That's about it. No one else has anything that is even close to the same build quality as the PJ's and I have to drive 3 hrs to get to the closest dealer for them.
Old 03-07-2014, 08:05 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I have owned a PJ 14k dump since 2005. It is a well built trailer, excellent paint job, and they look sharp several years later.

I would buy a PJ again even though they are a little more than the big local competitor Big Tex. I don't have my PJ on the road as much as I did my Big Tex but I dumped really heavy oak logs > 2k lbs in it and filled it up several times. I went through tires a lot but that wasn't a PJ issue. I had one problem with brakes. It was easier to get my local brake company to replace a magnet than take it back to the dealer but it was a cheap fix.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid."

Twitter @Cedar_Clearing
Old 03-07-2014, 08:21 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Pj is a great for a cheap trailer, ive had a few but they dont come close to my Eager Beaver or CAM.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-07-2014, 09:16 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowDogSVC View Post
I have owned a PJ 14k dump since 2005. It is a well built trailer, excellent paint job, and they look sharp several years later.

I would buy a PJ again even though they are a little more than the big local competitor Big Tex. I don't have my PJ on the road as much as I did my Big Tex but I dumped really heavy oak logs > 2k lbs in it and filled it up several times. I went through tires a lot but that wasn't a PJ issue. I had one problem with brakes. It was easier to get my local brake company to replace a magnet than take it back to the dealer but it was a cheap fix.

I have a pj dump purchased new last year an the paint is absolutely terrible on it. Outside and in.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-10-2014, 04:59 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuttenup View Post
Im going to be buying a larger trailer this year and have consider getting a PJ brand but wondered if they are worth the extra cash that they cost compared to your regular run of the mill trailers? If you have a PJ trailer I would like to here your thoughts? Likes, dislikes and do you think they are worth what they cost. Im looking at either a 14 or 16 ft tandem.
I picked up a new 83" x 16ft tandem utility for $2700 last year and love it. We've run PJ's since 2003 and have never had a problem with them, they put out a product that preforms as good as it looks. Well worth the extra coin
Old 03-10-2014, 05:22 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

PJ Trailers?

I bought one two years ago, and I love mine. It's an 18 ft, 83 in, with 2 ft dovetail, and the heavy duty ramp gate. Excellent trailer!!