Register free!

Old 02-26-2014, 12:43 PM
LawnSite Member

Spring seeding

I know spring is not the most ideal time to seed a lawn but if you were going to do it what would be your approach ? Apply a premergent that can be used with seeding or just seed and worry about crabgrass and weeds later ? When would be the proper time to get started ( certain date , soil temp , etc. ) ?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-26-2014, 07:35 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott's Lawn Maintenance View Post
I know spring is not the most ideal time to seed a lawn but if you were going to do it what would be your approach ? Apply a premergent that can be used with seeding or just seed and worry about crabgrass and weeds later ? When would be the proper time to get started ( certain date , soil temp , etc. ) ?
Posted via Mobile Device
Contact Dr. James Murphy at Rutgers.

The nation that destroys its soil destroys itself.
Franklin D. Roosevelt
Old 02-27-2014, 12:07 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Late Summer or Early Fall seeding is optimal [in my locality] but what is King is a client being able to provide water. Not to sound like a broken record...folks loose interest in lawns once labor day hits here. Irrigation blow out gone wild.

Personally I like the early Spring seeding/dormant seeding concept which is turn key due to Spring rain...at least here and the seeds stand a chance of taking...along with weeds. Catch 22.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-27-2014, 10:39 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

As I recall (I cannot find my original post), the first seed arose here April 8, in my experimental outdoor flower pots. So you should apply your seed about 2 weeks before that--if you think you climate is like ours--you are probably warmer. Its best to use Tupersan for crabgrass control while seeding, costly of course. Follow up with your regular crabgrass control after the new grass has been mowed twice.
Or...just seed as early as possible and try to get the new grass mowed twice and crabgrass treated before crabgrass comes up--usually about the date of the fifth mowing. This only works with perennial ryegrass, of course, Kentucky bluegrass is too slow for this.
Consider "pre-germinating" the seed for 72 hours in warm water inside, before sowing outside.

I hope to be able to experiment with this--I have some seed planted on top of snow last December. It should germinate about--don't know--but I hope to treat for crabgrass when it has attained a height of about 4 inches.

I have a neighbor who is asking me this same question--serious crabgrass problem last year--in his backyard--intends to seed in spring.
Old 02-27-2014, 10:49 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

It's not the date that matters it's the soil temp.

You can start from seed anytime during the growing season.

For Springtime seeding get them into the ground and cover and wait. If CG is a concern use a touch more of annual rye(which is in KBG seed to keep it from rotting) so you get something growing fast that will die in the summer. Or be sure to get it into the dirt early and even KBG will be up before CG realizes it's warm again. My eyes don't like crappy lime green rye in a lawn so I tend to get after it and get it done.

Buy a high dollar hybrid seed.
Old 02-27-2014, 11:34 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I found the link and discussion of early spring seeding last year.
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=403829

It appears that perennial ryegrass will germinate at about 80 Growing Degree Days at the earliest. So, I think you should have it in the ground 3 weeks before that date.

According to this your climate is similar to mine in growing degree days.
http://www.weather.com/outdoors/agri...ree-days/08601
About an average of 84 GDD by May 4.
You can look up any zip code in the above link.
Old 02-27-2014, 12:13 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Depends on where you live. But look up the last freeze date in your area. Crabgrass seldom arises before the last freeze date--since frost kills crabgrass--you can expect crabgrass to arise a few days after the last freeze date for your neighborhood.
New Jersey has several different climate zones within a few miles of each other.

My data from last year shows crabgrass first became visible at about 1100 GDD in my town. 1/4 inch tall.
http://www.weather.com/outdoors/agri...Last_Freeze:US