Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 02-11-2014, 12:05 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

301 Redirect

My current website ranks near the top on Google, Bing, and Yahoo but I'm changing company names and don't want to lose my site ranking with my new domain name.

I understand that I need to do a 301 Redirect but how difficult is that? Is it something I can do easily or do I need to hire a pro to do this for me?
Old 02-11-2014, 01:40 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachysLawn View Post
My current website ranks near the top on Google, Bing, and Yahoo but I'm changing company names and don't want to lose my site ranking with my new domain name.

I understand that I need to do a 301 Redirect but how difficult is that? Is it something I can do easily or do I need to hire a pro to do this for me?
- 301's are not difficult to set up.
- 301's are easy to screw up.
- You need to be able to edit/add an .htaccess file on your server.
- Whether you hire someone, or follow along with any of the billion, online resources is entirely your call.

If you search 301 SEO you'll find the resources you need. Moz has a good one to start with. For that phrase, it should be high in the results.
Old 02-11-2014, 01:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Should not be hard and, depending on who you ask, 301's pass most or all of their link juice. However- you will lose any onsite SEO benefits, and you will need to get your citations cleaned up and beefed up.

It should be easy to do the 301. Who is your name registered with? Just Google "how to 301 [registrar]"
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-12-2014, 12:04 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by headz77 View Post
Who is your name registered with? Just Google "how to 301 [registrar]"
Posted via Mobile Device
Thanks, it appears as though Bluehost is set up to make this very easy.

One more question, if I do the wildcard redirect and then use the exact page names on the new site as I used on the old site (ie. site.com/chesapeake-mowing-services to newsite.com/chesapeake-mowing-services), the 301 will redirect each page to its corresponding new page instead of to the new main domain, correct?

Is this recommended?

Quote:
...However- you will lose any onsite SEO benefits, and you will need to get your citations cleaned up and beefed up
Posted via Mobile Device
So you are saying that this redirect will only affect links to my site but I will be starting over new as far as being ranked in the search engines? And forgive my ignorance, but what are my citations?

If I'm not going to pop up on the first page this spring because I did this, I don't want to mess with it.
Old 02-12-2014, 12:31 PM
Sponsor

Are you just changing your domain name, or are you making other changes to the site? If you're adding/removing pages or launching a new site, make sure you redirect specific pages as well as the domain overall.
Old 02-12-2014, 12:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'm launching a new site. All the current pages will be recreated on the new site but there will be new pages added as well.
Old 02-13-2014, 01:00 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachysLawn View Post
One more question, if I do the wildcard redirect and then use the exact page names on the new site as I used on the old site (ie. site.com/chesapeake-mowing-services to newsite.com/chesapeake-mowing-services), the 301 will redirect each page to its corresponding new page instead of to the new main domain, correct?

Is this recommended?

So you are saying that this redirect will only affect links to my site but I will be starting over new as far as being ranked in the search engines? And forgive my ignorance, but what are my citations?

If I'm not going to pop up on the first page this spring because I did this, I don't want to mess with it.
Your redirect strategy sounds good.

The 301 passes link juice- nothing else. Any other good thing you were doing is lost. However, I assume the new site will be at least as good, so that should be minor worry. If your old domain had keywords in it and the new one doesn't you might suffer a bit in the rankings. If the old site was really old you may lose a small "domain age" bump. But, Google loves fresh content so I would not be surprised to see your rankings start even higher.

Citations: places online that reference your name, address, and phone number. Yelp, Facebook, online directories, etc. you will want to find all the references to your old site that you can and change to the new one. If you don't, google could creat multiple entries for your company in its databases- all of them weak.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-13-2014, 12:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Your redirect strategy sounds good.

The 301 passes link juice- nothing else. Any other good thing you were doing is lost. However, I assume the new site will be at least as good, so that should be minor worry. If your old domain had keywords in it and the new one doesn't you might suffer a bit in the rankings. If the old site was really old you may lose a small "domain age" bump. But, Google loves fresh content so I would not be surprised to see your rankings start even higher.

Citations: places online that reference your name, address, and phone number. Yelp, Facebook, online directories, etc. you will want to find all the references to your old site that you can and change to the new one. If you don't, google could creat multiple entries for your company in its databases- all of them weak.
Posted via Mobile Device
Thanks man!
Old 02-13-2014, 02:06 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Beachy, just as a heads up, if you saved the "How To" example code from the new member (it was deleted by the mods), I would recommend forgetting you ever read it. If you use his code, your site will error out.
Old 02-13-2014, 02:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I didn't actually see it but thanks for the heads up, Tony. I saw someone had commented but it was gone by the time I could get back on here. I assume you were the guardian angel who had it deleted?