Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-14-2014, 12:33 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Some pics

Here's a few pics. First two are of my mini ex. I was helping a friend excavate his sewer line.

The other pics are some of the mulch roads I make for ranchers and property owners who want to walk or drive on something besides dirt and rock. When they have their trees trimmed or cleared, instead of chipping or hauling off, I pile up the brush along trails where I then mulch. It works good as a recycling method and saves on labor. I used to need a lot more labor to drag brush and feed the chipper. We can't use a chip truck because it fills up too fast when we're doing big trees, land clearing, or cleaning up stumps so this method kills two birds with one stone. If the customer doesn't need the shreds on a road or trail, I can usually find a disturbed, eroded, or rocky area where the shreds will be beneficial.
I attached a pic of one of the sites as seen from space. It was taken this time last year right after I sheared, chipped, and then ran the mulcher over a lot of brush and stumps that the owner cleared. The last pic is the trail seen heading out of view in the upper left corner of the satellite pic.
Technology is amazing. Eventually, the satellites will catch us taking a leak or worse!
Attached Images

"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid."

Twitter @Cedar_Clearing
Old 02-14-2014, 12:46 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

You do some awesome work.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-14-2014, 12:54 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Thanks. I've gotten pretty good at making the mulching look good. I wish I had more horsepower because I get more and more calls for bigger jobs. Still learning to use the excavator and finding more and more uses for it.
I'm starting a job soon that I told the owner he needed a dedicated machine with 300 hp or a tub grinder but he wants to use me. It's a real test with big, bulldozed trees but the owner can't get a big machine out there within his budget. I don't think I'm going to get much done other than reducing these piles some. I'll get some pics. Just about every tree is 10" diameter with multiple branches, root balls, etc. and the brush goes on forever. It would be a good job for a tub grinder or large horizontal grinder and big excavator with a thumb. My hope is to reduce the brush to make it safer for him to burn the logs and fix some of the areas that the dozer tore up.
I may end up out there with my big chipper. It can handle the trees if we get the rootballs off but that's also a lot more labor intensive and I feel old!

Twitter @Cedar_Clearing
Old 02-14-2014, 03:11 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Looks great yellow. I always enjoy seeing your work. I wish my area was better suited for that type of work, I'd really enjoy it.

What percent tint is that on your 335? Did you do it yourself?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-14-2014, 03:22 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I had one of my neighbors, who does tint, do it. I think it is like 20% limo or something like that. I had it on the front, too, which really helps in the summer but nobody could see me and I couldn't coordinate without opening the door. I removed it off the front and front half.

You can find niche work anywhere. I used to live in an area very similar to SC and there was work for small machines. In fact, there was a NEED for small machines since the logging-sized machines and the dozers dominated the area. If I had only had a Bobcat CTL back in the day...

Twitter @Cedar_Clearing
Old 02-14-2014, 03:28 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowDogSVC View Post
I had one of my neighbors, who does tint, do it. I think it is like 20% limo or something like that. I had it on the front, too, which really helps in the summer but nobody could see me and I couldn't coordinate without opening the door. I removed it off the front and front half.

You can find niche work anywhere. I used to live in an area very similar to SC and there was work for small machines. In fact, there was a NEED for small machines since the logging-sized machines and the dozers dominated the area. If I had only had a Bobcat CTL back in the day...
Maybe I haven't tried hard enough. But what I've found is most guys here buy there own equipment when they buy property and take care of things on there own.. I'll be in contact with you!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-14-2014, 03:52 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior M View Post
Maybe I haven't tried hard enough. But what I've found is most guys here buy there own equipment when they buy property and take care of things on there own.. I'll be in contact with you!
Posted via Mobile Device
Just about everyone here buys a tractor. A lot of ranches have a skid steer. A few of the bigger ones will buy a mulcher or backhoe, etc. and are self-sufficient but for every one that has all of that, there are plenty who don't have the time, skills, or desire to mess with machinery. I don't have to work in the city.. almost ever. It's all ranches and almost all, with few exceptions, have plenty of machinery on site but niche services fill the gap between what they have and what we do.

It'll come to you if you look hard enough. Sometimes it slaps you right in the face just when you think you are going to take a vacation.. boom, you have work where you didn't see it last week.

Twitter @Cedar_Clearing
Old 02-14-2014, 09:01 PM
LawnSite Member

Nice looking work.
Old 02-15-2014, 10:04 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Nice looking machine and jobs Yellowdog!

WWW.ARPLANTE.COM

A.R.Plante on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/p...0670251?ref=ts

Check Out Our Videos on YouTube!: http://www.youtube.com/user/arplante...s?feature=mhee
Old 02-15-2014, 12:50 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

How do you get big long stuff in a tub grinder? Do you have to chain saw all of it.