Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-16-2014, 09:31 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Here's a couple of pics from a lazy Sunday afternoon playing on a couple of acres we bought that adjoins our ranch. It was overgrazed for years and has virtually no suitable vegetation. I'm in the early stages of pulling bigger rocks up so that I can fill the holes with smaller rocks.
Once a I get it fairly smooth, I'll start adding brush, stumps, and anything organic that I can mulch so that grasses have a chance to start. There's about 1.5 acres of rocks to mess with but I will just cover a lot of the ones that are flat. Landscape quality rocks will come out, get sold, or used on other parts of the ranch. My objective is to make it pretty. It has some nice oaks that just need some TLC but the erosion is another story.

I know I should be using the mini to pop the rocks out but I wanted to play with the skeleton bucket and it takes awhile to move the mini to this part of the ranch. My tires are getting worn but have done very well in this terrain. I have 1095 hours on this machine and if memory serves, I had this set on my 330 when I ran smaller tires. I may be approaching 1500-1600 hours on these severe duty tires.
Attached Images

"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid."

Twitter @Cedar_Clearing
Old 02-16-2014, 09:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Awesome pictures Yellowdog. You got anymore pictures of your flatbeds and the chipper?
Old 02-16-2014, 09:42 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

A before and after mulching pic from the ranch. Been trying for years to reclaim, using only shredded brush, an old borrow pit at the front of my property. A heavy waste management truck uses this area every week plus my family is constantly driving over to the dumpster so it gets a lot of traffic. Before I remulched everything, we were starting to get good grass coverage. Hopefully we'll get some rain and I'll see some wildflowers this year.

I had a US forester tell me that nothing grows in the shreds that a mulcher makes. In fact, a lot of people tell me that nothing will grow in the shreds. I dug some up yesterday and there's topsoil where none had been. It's slowly composting, decaying, and catching sediment when it rains.
I had to mow this area last year and I've added at least 100 yards of brush and logs since late summer so a lot of the mulch visible in the background is on top of grasses that were reestablished. Before we started this, I used a rockhound to smooth the ground and get rid of the rocks. There was little to no vegetation. Just caliche, rocks, and a clumb grass here or there. It looked like Mars.
As you can tell, I just don't like to burn very much.
Attached Images

Twitter @Cedar_Clearing
Old 02-16-2014, 09:45 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I know how you feel about getting the mini anywhere. I've been clearing trees around my dove field in the afternoons, to make it more rectangular.. But by the time I track down there and then back to the barn it's a little over a half hour.... Of just tracking. Talking about boring

Do y'all raise any livestock on your ranch?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-16-2014, 10:05 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by noahb195 View Post
Awesome pictures Yellowdog. You got anymore pictures of your flatbeds and the chipper?
A couple from a little hand clearing and chipping job we did last year.
Attached Images

Twitter @Cedar_Clearing
Old 02-16-2014, 10:14 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior M View Post
I know how you feel about getting the mini anywhere. I've been clearing trees around my dove field in the afternoons, to make it more rectangular.. But by the time I track down there and then back to the barn it's a little over a half hour.... Of just tracking. Talking about boring

Do y'all raise any livestock on your ranch?
Posted via Mobile Device
We used to have more cows. They were like pets. We've had a few goats off and on but we mostly manage for wildlife.. birds, deer, etc. The goats we have now (2) are just pets and though they are cute and my kids and grandkids like them, they are mostly just like pets too.
We have just over 100 acres and a lot of our neighbors all have decent sized tracts so we are surrounded by open space for the most part and have a couple of creeks passing nearby. That helped us decided to manage for wildlife instead of livestock and it's a lot more fun to work.
We used to have some water on the ranch (springs and seeps) but the drought ended that. Now it's catch what you can and supplemental water for the wildlife. If you like whitetail deer, we're loaded with good bucks and fat does that come and go. Sadly, I just took one off the fence last Sunday. It got hung up and died.. must have been dumb in how it got hung up.
We fed well during the drought. One neighbor is game fenced so that property doesn't count but the rest of the neighbors are open space, horse pasture, or short fenced so deer are everywhere and look for food EVERYWHERE. Bumper year for acorns so that will help next year's herd since our browse isn't very good quality all around the county.
Deer population is nice if you like deer but too much of a good thing makes it hard for browse to get established and trees really take a beating. Luckily, the persimmons and acorns will probably be good next year too. Funny how that works even in a drought.

Twitter @Cedar_Clearing
Old 02-16-2014, 10:21 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Even the squirrels are like pets here. Old Yellow Dog can't get no respect! This guy kept looking at me over at the barn after I sealed up a hole in the attic. I just walked up to him and got that close. He looked pretty sad. At least it wasn't a Monty Python moment.. I'm okay. No bite marks.
Attached Images

Twitter @Cedar_Clearing
Old 02-17-2014, 05:15 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Judging from the rocky ground, it's no wonder you chose tires over tracks. Are the areas you mulch any better? I'm enjoying the pics...keep 'em coming!
Old 02-17-2014, 06:48 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNB Construction View Post
Judging from the rocky ground, it's no wonder you chose tires over tracks. Are the areas you mulch any better? I'm enjoying the pics...keep 'em coming!
That particular rocky area is the first 1/3 of a piece that property. The rock here ranges from a few inches below the ground to 10ft down depending on elevation. Those rocks are not big by our standards but it wasn't level so I tried pulling most up. It's like poorly laid tiles.

I try NOT to mulch in areas like that. Probably lose a lot of work by refusing to mulch trees in place in terrain like that but teeth are expensive and so is the wear and tear on the mower. Rock damage happens and if you are careful, carbide teeth will mill limestone but it's the inadvertent hit or the slamming into rock that breaks off the carbide tips.
I'm also running 6 quadco style knife cutters on the center of the drum. I tried the carbide version and they literally lasted less than an hour when I hit somethign hard either metal or rock. I bought replacement teeth without the carbide and they do well if I'm careful.. and though they are double-sided, I don't like having to mess with the teeth. I can get 900 hours out of a set if I stay in the wood... If I'm careful, I can see double life over what some guys get but again, probably costs me some work or at least speed on jobs.

Twitter @Cedar_Clearing
Old 02-17-2014, 07:23 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I'm not guessing there's a whole lot of wet in Texas either.