Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 02-17-2014, 10:59 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior M View Post
You don't have problems with tires or hubs carrying that heavy of a loader?
Posted via Mobile Device
I don't have problems very often.
I spent a lot of time looking at trailers and talking to a custom manufacturer and other dealers when I upgraded from a 12k trailer. I also mimic what my Bobcat dealer uses.. They have done some maintenance, of course, but have many years of high miles on several trailers.
I get my brakes and bearings packed every year at the same time and keep up all maintenance items including air pressure. It's a PITA to do all that on 3 trailers being a one-man show but I need that stuff to last and foremost, be safe on the road.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid."

Twitter @Cedar_Clearing
Old 02-18-2014, 06:23 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowDogSVC View Post
The only thing I could move would be a small skid which I don't have. My toolcat is too long and 750 and 335 are weight to heavy and long. Dump trailer is only 12' but it's 84" wide. I bought it for moving chips/stumps back in '05 but evolved to moving logs for another contractor. I prefer to mulch/chip on site but not much we can do with oaks other than burn or haul to a ranch that'll use them for berms. Unfortunately, I have to compete with contractors who will haul off and burn (illegal) so I have to price haul-off with creative uses.

I want a small dump truck but have no real use unless I get a bigger excavator and use it to load caliche for ranch roads. A trash dump.. I can make some money with that. Dump trailer is okay but needs to be bigger (means I need to get CDL) but also a PITA when batteries low and I go through tires because everything from China sucks even though chips don't weigh all that much.
What is your GVW, how often do the batteries give you trouble?
Old 02-18-2014, 09:21 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior M View Post
You don't have problems with tires or hubs carrying that heavy of a loader?
Posted via Mobile Device
So far, I'm good. Bobcat dealer uses similar setup and is good. Any bigger, though, and I need a bigger truck, trailer, and CDL. My skid is only 9200 lbs with grapple according to certified scale. Trailer 2650 lbs. Excavator a little heavier but it's loaded a little more forward on trailer and truck.
Toolcat is light at 5800-6500 lbs with different attachments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nedly05 View Post
What is your GVW, how often do the batteries give you trouble?
Dump is 13k. Weighs about 4500 lbs. Stout little trailer. I finally found a battery that works better than the rest I've tried. Napa severe duty deep cycle. I have to charge it before a long day but it seems to hold up better. I was eating batteries.. a lot of different brands. I don't trickle charge so that could be part of the problem.

Twitter @Cedar_Clearing
Old 02-18-2014, 01:51 PM
LawnSite Member

Some pics

Very interesting landscapes. When I'm done with school id like to sort of do the same thing you are doing as far as niche work. Just not sure if I'll find the work.

You should look into running 1 gauge wire off the batteries to the back of the truck to power the dump trailer. Put the quick connects on it like they use to charge electric forklifts and you won't mess with batteries ever again.
Old 02-18-2014, 06:06 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 711SnoPro View Post
Very interesting landscapes. When I'm done with school id like to sort of do the same thing you are doing as far as niche work. Just not sure if I'll find the work.

You should look into running 1 gauge wire off the batteries to the back of the truck to power the dump trailer. Put the quick connects on it like they use to charge electric forklifts and you won't mess with batteries ever again.
I supposed to could tie something into my upfitter switches and run something back there to plug in.. that's a good idea. When my truck is charging good, the battery will dump all day (if battery in good condition) plus battery acts as brake-away power in case I lose the trailer.

Twitter @Cedar_Clearing
Old 02-18-2014, 06:48 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

that chipper is a monster!!!
Old 02-19-2014, 08:08 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

A few pics of a clearing job I did yesterday. I'm starting to use the mini more and more. Clearing for construction has been really slow the last few years for me. I've kept busy mulching, chipping, and repairing roads and dealing with dead trees.

This is a small job. 40x30 pad with some room around it. Everything had to be uprooted. Could have done it with the skid but last time I worked on this guy's place, I had to dig roots out of the boulders and needed the mini. This went quick (roots were mostly shallow) even though some of the trees were 15-18". The property is at the very top of what passes for mountains here so it is mostly rock and cedar with a few oaks. There were just a few larger trees but the 335 handled them easily. My bucket, visible in one pic, is 18". Moving a lot of the loose rock, big rocks, and dirt took longer than anything else but I brought the skid out for that as well as mulching up the trees and stumps. This terrain rattles your kidneys.
Attached Images

Twitter @Cedar_Clearing
Old 02-19-2014, 08:16 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

A pic of some of the shreds. I tried to get all the rocks out of the stumps before I mulched them down so it went pretty good roots and all. I pushed a percentage of the shreds off the hilltop to help with some erosion so it's not as smooth as I usually leave it.

Other pic is bare ground. I almost never uproot things so this is a little different for me.
Last pic is a few trees I left and trimmed up to provide something to landscape around after the garage is built. I thought the little cedar reminded me of a banzai tree.
Attached Images

Twitter @Cedar_Clearing
Old 02-19-2014, 09:27 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Great pics of your job Yellow! It's fun seeing what other people get to do on their jobs.

WWW.ARPLANTE.COM

A.R.Plante on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/p...0670251?ref=ts

Check Out Our Videos on YouTube!: http://www.youtube.com/user/arplante...s?feature=mhee
Old 02-19-2014, 09:34 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I know this work is small-scale. I did a bigger job last November and after it was all said and done, I took like 2 pics and kicked myself. It turned out great and was a jungle before and during the job and I didn't document it. I love reading about everyone else's adventures and figured I need to start contributing.
I'm trying to step out of my comfort zone. Been offered some amazing career changes and have resisted so I'm trying to find some passion again for working in the woods.

Twitter @Cedar_Clearing