Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 02-26-2014, 09:34 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffH1 View Post
Love it! Great thread and great work YellowDog! Keep the pics coming! I'd eventually like to do more small excavating like you do.
I started small and stayed small. If I had to do it over, I'd either gone bigger or made better friends with bigger contractors. I give away A LOT of leads.. probably more than I take because my websites and word of mouth gets me a lot of inquiries. I'm still trying to zero in on what I'm good at and stop spreading myself around. I end up not being busy enough because I have a lot of different tools and it's hard to change gears mid-week from one thing to the next which means I don't always get a full week in.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid."

Twitter @Cedar_Clearing
Old 02-26-2014, 10:15 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowDogSVC View Post
I started small and stayed small. If I had to do it over, I'd either gone bigger or made better friends with bigger contractors. I give away A LOT of leads.. probably more than I take because my websites and word of mouth gets me a lot of inquiries. I'm still trying to zero in on what I'm good at and stop spreading myself around. I end up not being busy enough because I have a lot of different tools and it's hard to change gears mid-week from one thing to the next which means I don't always get a full week in.
Do you do all your work yourself or do you have some employees?

-----------------------------------
My Equipment:
2011 F-150 Ecoboost(Work Truck)
2012 Maserati GranTurismo MC Stradale(Daily Driver)
2015 Pace-American 7x16 Enclosed Trailer
2014 American Mfg 6x10 High Side Utility Trailer
Old 02-26-2014, 11:23 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffH1 View Post
Do you do all your work yourself or do you have some employees?
I sub out most chainsaw work. I do everything else myself and hire some climbers I've known for years for technical takedowns. I rarely, if ever, leave a site to just my sub. I only use a few subs that I've known a long time, though, so I can trust them if it came down to that. I'd like to meet someone who shares the same values on quality and have some subs for machines but I haven't found anyone who won't grit their teeth and use their head instead of ramming a tree or talking or texting all day on a cell phone. I can pass on what limited knowledge I've acquired but I haven't found a way to pass on heart or attitude.

Twitter @Cedar_Clearing
Old 02-27-2014, 01:23 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I think a smaller horizontal grinder would be good for your operation. A guy around here has one. Looks very similar to the one Andrew had for making mulch. And he keeps it relatively busy.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-27-2014, 03:39 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

If you get rid of the chipper and don't get a small grinder your phone will start ringing off the hook for that type of work. Weird how it works.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-27-2014, 10:44 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

A small grinder would be perfect for my operation but I'd need a heavier truck.

With the mini, I could feed a small horizontal.. rootballs and all if necessary. It's on the "list"

Twitter @Cedar_Clearing
Old 02-27-2014, 11:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

What's the difference in a chipper grinder and mulch or is it different names for the same thing?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-28-2014, 07:15 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTS View Post
What's the difference in a chipper grinder and mulch or is it different names for the same thing?
Posted via Mobile Device
Chipper creates dimensional chips.. or just wood chips. Least quality type chip.
Grinders creates shreds and different screens size them. Maybe someone with a grinder can explain better.

A mulcher is a head mounted on a carrier that literal slices or beats the wood to pieces and it sizes the shreds by pulling it through counter-teeth or by the type of teeth on the head. Some heads use knives that leave more of a chip and others use a carbide tooth that leaves more of a shred. I run a type of knife-like tooth in the middle of the head mixed in with mostly carbide teeth on each side so I can slice bigger logs/stumps by lining the head up according to where I have the knives.

Twitter @Cedar_Clearing
Old 02-28-2014, 07:32 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Spent two days mulching on this job this week. The prep work I did in the other pictures is for the part of the job that will come later. I'm working on trees that were mostly sheared but there are a lot of very large, dry cedar stumps from hand-cut trees many years ago. Ordinarily, if those stumps were not in a pile already, I'd try and save some as they make very cool landscape-quality stumps and are also used for extracting cedar oil. A lot of the wood I'm mulching has logs in the 8-12" range but those old stumps are up to 20" at the base but almost always have no dirt or rock in them. They are leftovers from cedar choppers at least 30 years ago who took only the heart-wood posts. The stumps are very dry and very hard and sometimes one will just start smoking. I hate mulching them when I don't know they are in the pile.

For scale, one pile was stacked 10 feet tall by the tractor and dozer. It's barely visible at the far end of the last picture. I tried pulling it apart but gave up because the brush was locked together with whole trees and stumps. It's hard to mulch when you are fighting your own shreds and hitting big pieces of log but there just isn't a way to get something like a tub or horizontal grinder to this mountain top and the big machines didn't have time. I had to mulch up a 10" madrone that died a year or two ago. It's hard like mahogany. I wanted to try my new chipper teeth out.. I felt like I was trying to mulch a manhole cover but it worked though it turned out a little chunky and roughly bounced the machine a few times.

I really need a good operator to pull these piles apart with a mini ex or big skid so that I can mulch trees in smaller piles and flip the shreds to find logs that got buried. This is really, really, dusty work and I have to use the force a lot to see what I'm doing when the dust is so thick it's a white out. Just need R2D2 to turn up the power a little and I got it made.

The shred footprint in the last picture is over 100 feet long! Talk about dusty. Have to hand it to Bobcat, though. Only very fine dust getting into my cab and that's coming from the AC and probably from the floor somewhere. The pressure and new door seal is keeping all the big stuff. I'm mulching about 7 hours out of my day and it's very comfortable in the cab.
Attached Images

Twitter @Cedar_Clearing
Old 03-01-2014, 08:33 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Thanks for sharing Yellow, sure looks different down there.