Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 07-17-2013, 10:53 PM
LawnSite Member

Contacting New Business???

I have had my share of commercial business , but my question is how do you find out who to contact about bidding on the lawn care. there are quitea few new business in my area like walmart , cvs , krispy kreme and so on.
Old 07-18-2013, 01:55 AM
LawnSite Member

Many of the large businesses, like Walmart & CVS, use national landscape companies to manage their maintenance. If you are in a smaller town where the large company does not have a branch then they generally subcontract it with a local company. Be prepared to bid those accounts at a low price, call in from the property when you finish to verify your time, and wait 60-90 days for your money.

For the smaller businesses that use local contractors the first thing to do is just go in and ask to speak with the manager.

If you really want to commit to doing the commercial work then get involved with your community. The Chamber of Commerce, business after hours, or civic clubs like Rotary are great places to get to know the decision makers for your local businesses.
Old 11-24-2014, 11:59 AM
LawnSite Member

You can first go to their websites. That's what I did. I found that for Wal-Mart, the store manager is the one to hire contractor services like landscaping and power washing. CVS on the other hand you need to register with them from their website and then you would need to contact the regional people. Low prices aren't always low. depending on your situation. For me I own everything. My only overhead is INS which is under $100 a month and Gas. I have 2 guys working for me. I did a bid on an HOA where I was $2400 less than the other 3 bids. the reason why is that the HOA contractor they had quit. They were paying $4000 a month for every week. They had decided to go to every other week. all the other companies tried to go underground with their bids and be greedy because they knew the company quit, and bid $5500. With my bid at $3100 I will gross approx $1450 per cut or $3100 a month for 2 days work I pay my 2 guys $150 each per day for this job so I am at $2500 for 2 days minus ins and gas. So I'm not so sure if I was low balling or the others were gauging but the other 3 were around the same. And this price was only for Cut trim edge and blow. They also have a $12k budget for tree trimming and with me coming in $900 under budget they have $900 a month for flowers and mulch so I will make more than the $3100 base rate.
Old 11-24-2014, 12:06 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the info.
Old 11-24-2014, 01:24 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Industries LW View Post
My only overhead is INS which is under $100 a month and Gas.
You have a very unique definition of overhead. You truly have much greater overhead than you think. If you ever try to grow your business your true overhead will be revealed to you.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-24-2014, 02:17 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
For me I own everything. My only overhead is INS which is under $100 a month and Gas. I have 2 guys working for me. I did a bid on an HOA where I was $2400 less than the other 3 bids. the reason why is that the HOA contractor they had quit. They were paying $4000 a month for every week. They had decided to go to every other week. all the other companies tried to go underground with their bids and be greedy because they knew the company quit, and bid $5500. With my bid at $3100 I will gross approx $1450 per cut or $3100 a month for 2 days work I pay my 2 guys $150 each per day for this job so I am at $2500 for 2 days minus ins and gas. So I'm not so sure if I was low balling or the others were gauging but the other 3 were around the same. And this price was only for Cut trim edge and blow. They also have a $12k budget for tree trimming and with me coming in $900 under budget they have $900 a month for flowers and mulch so I will make more than the $3100 base rate.
When you actually understand what overhead is and, specifically, what your overhead really is, you'll be able to answer this question.

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that your 2 guys, in your eyes*, are contractors, and not employees.

*your eyes are different than those of the IRS
Old 11-24-2014, 02:47 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
You can first go to their websites. That's what I did. I found that for Wal-Mart, the store manager is the one to hire contractor services like landscaping and power washing. CVS on the other hand you need to register with them from their website and then you would need to contact the regional people. Low prices aren't always low. depending on your situation. For me I own everything. My only overhead is INS which is under $100 a month and Gas. I have 2 guys working for me. I did a bid on an HOA where I was $2400 less than the other 3 bids. the reason why is that the HOA contractor they had quit. They were paying $4000 a month for every week. They had decided to go to every other week. all the other companies tried to go underground with their bids and be greedy because they knew the company quit, and bid $5500. With my bid at $3100 I will gross approx $1450 per cut or $3100 a month for 2 days work I pay my 2 guys $150 each per day for this job so I am at $2500 for 2 days minus ins and gas. So I'm not so sure if I was low balling or the others were gauging but the other 3 were around the same. And this price was only for Cut trim edge and blow. They also have a $12k budget for tree trimming and with me coming in $900 under budget they have $900 a month for flowers and mulch so I will make more than the $3100 base rate.
So what you're saying is that with enhancement services you'll be turning the same revenue dollars as what you left on the table for the mowing? You may want to sit down with a CPA and go over your #s.