The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-15-2014, 03:00 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

You can get the credits back if they never respond
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-15-2014, 03:10 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah if I pay the amount to respond to the lead (2 credits) and they don't respond then they credit my acct

Edit: As far as lead services go, I feel they're the most hassle free PAID service. Home Adviser (Was Service Magic) creates leads but is a nightmare to deal with.

Angie's List is nice, but it's hard to find customers that have an acct with them to review you, and they won't consider external reviews, even though they allow them.
Old 02-15-2014, 03:15 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I don't bother with Angie's list. Service magic was a nightmare
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-15-2014, 03:18 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'm on Angie's list but nothing ever comes from it. I got rid of Service Magic.
Thumbtack has been good to me.
Old 02-15-2014, 09:42 PM
LawnSite Member

I've only been on a month or 2. Landed a couple snow customers, and couple mowing. I always "send a quote" needing more information. I send a message stating I'd be more than happy to take a look to be able to give an accurate estimate. Most of them will view your profile. For a few $, it's been more than worth it. I think I bought $30 in credits once so far?
Old 02-18-2014, 11:58 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I just tested this out as a consumer, and there were 34 guys waiting in line to give me a quote lol....see ya later thumbtack....it has turned into a bulletin board for every unlicensed lowballer out there. It's worse than craigslist, because you pay to be on there with illegal operations. The only ones making money are the scumbags at thumbtack. IMO, sites like these should be banned from search engines. They impede on "actual" companies who actually work for their money. IMO, the owners of sites like these should be lined up against a wall, and be systematically shot in the back of the head in front of their children as punishment. That is just my view of how legislation should change to prevent this BS.
Old 02-19-2014, 02:15 AM
LawnSite Member

If Thumbtack is only charging $3 per lead, then that seems like a very low price. I can't recall what lead generating company that kept calling me, but I finally broke down and listened to them and they said the price is "only" $20some a lead. LOL! I've only seen Angie's List, Homeadvisor, YellowPages & Yelp show up in the search around here. Never heard of Thumbtack before... besides the one I stepped on many years ago. *&$% that hurt. LOL!

iCutLawns
Old 02-19-2014, 08:57 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyRocker View Post
I just tested this out as a consumer, and there were 34 guys waiting in line to give me a quote lol....see ya later thumbtack....it has turned into a bulletin board for every unlicensed lowballer out there. It's worse than craigslist, because you pay to be on there with illegal operations. The only ones making money are the scumbags at thumbtack. IMO, sites like these should be banned from search engines. They impede on "actual" companies who actually work for their money. IMO, the owners of sites like these should be lined up against a wall, and be systematically shot in the back of the head in front of their children as punishment. That is just my view of how legislation should change to prevent this BS.
I also tested it out as a consumer. I received just 3 quotes.
Old 02-19-2014, 09:30 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I got an estimate request for lawn care, so I responded and asked for address to quote. Thumbtack took out my request for an address and reworded my response for me. What a joke. Never heard from the guy.
Old 02-19-2014, 09:36 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYScapes View Post
I got an estimate request for lawn care, so I responded and asked for address to quote. Thumbtack took out my request for an address and reworded my response for me. What a joke. Never heard from the guy.
I think they base the lead on zip codes. So a property could easily be out of your service area. Cost 2 credit to find out.