Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 02-14-2014, 02:10 PM
LawnSite Member

Help me with grass color matching

I did some patching last fall that came in lighter then the rest of my grass. I am not positive but I think I have Kentucky blue grass because it matches the color I looked up - I live in northeast Ohio zone 6.

I will be doing some over seeding/patching this spring and fall and I wanted to know what to look for when I buy seed. Do I need to buy a KBG mix? If not, what other types of grass is darker in color and will match.
Attached Images

Old 02-14-2014, 05:05 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

You need to be positive about what kind of grass your dealing with. You need to learn to ID different type's.
Old 02-15-2014, 10:29 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

This is difficult. You may need an experienced pro. Perennial rye and Kentucky bluegrass are very similar.
If you have sod, it is probably pure Kentucky bluegrass. However there are many types of bluegrass--some are light green--the more expensive types are dark green. All are a bit lighter during the first few weeks.

Also, you could have bluegrass plus perennial rye--a common type of mixture, usually planted when the lawn is from seed, not sod. There are many types of rye--some are light green and the better quality types are dark green. In any case, read the labels carefully. AVOID cheap seed.