Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-15-2014, 11:36 AM
LawnSite Member

New website suggestions

Ok so my first post... I have read on here for a few years but never thought to make an account to post

So In my goal to do more online advertising I revamped my website. I was hoping to get some suggestions and opinions on it. So here it is www.sonandsnow.com
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-16-2014, 09:08 PM
LawnSite Member

anyone?

not new to reading on lawnsite just new to posting

1996 dodge ram clean with 90,000 miles
7X18 Interstate enclosed trailer V nose
2013 Exmark lazer 52 inch
36 inch Wright stander
Toro personal pace
2 Stihl FS 90 R Trimmers
2 Stihl BR600 Blowers
Stihl long reach hedge trimmer
McLane walk behind edger
Various tools and shovels
Old 02-16-2014, 10:49 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

If you don't get much feedback, I'll take a deeper look tomorrow. Off to bed, but didn't want to leave you hangin'.

Some quick thoughts...

- You have 4 or 5 font colors on the home page, making them not as intuitive as they should be. (Links, not links?)

- The name of your company, and the play on words, made me curious as to the meaning and origin. I'm sure I'm not alone. I went to your About page specifically for this. You had the buildup to the answer, literally, and then...nothing. You told me you decided to choose a business name and that was it.

- The home page copy could use some refining. It reads in choppy, halting sentences, with no real flow.

- Logo doesnt match the site or aesthetic. You have a completely different logo on a sub page I glanced at.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-16-2014, 10:54 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks! I never thought to put about why the name was changed. I have the different colors on the homepage to make the phone number stick out but i can see what you mean with the confusion of the links. Im going to change that now and check out the wordings. Ill take down that second logo on the contact page. I had it up for fun but I do see how it could confuse people.

36 inch Wright stander
Toro personal pace
2 Stihl FS 90 R Trimmers
2 Stihl BR600 Blowers
McLane walk behind edger
Old 02-16-2014, 11:05 PM
LawnSite Member

Which logo do you like better? The logo on the header is the one that I have on all my shirts since it is simple to print. The logo on the contact us page is the one that has been used on business cards and vehicle signs. I took out the extra colors, made the home page flow better, and also added in the story behind the name.

36 inch Wright stander
Toro personal pace
2 Stihl FS 90 R Trimmers
2 Stihl BR600 Blowers
McLane walk behind edger
Old 02-17-2014, 01:17 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I'd love to see you work with a graphic designer to refine your logo. The color vs b&w difference is crazy. The b&w one looks like something an auto body shop would stencil and put on their shop. The color one pops more but the clip art is just... weird. It's a good name and I feel like you're in the right direction, but it'll take an actual logo person to execute.

Best "meet the owner" type page I've seen in a long time. The fact you never give your last name is pretty jarring though. Like it actually stands out.

FAQ page is a good start, copy could used massaged and would love to see it more readable.
Old 02-17-2014, 02:05 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperCutter View Post
I'd love to see you work with a graphic designer to refine your logo. The color vs b&w difference is crazy. The b&w one looks like something an auto body shop would stencil and put on their shop. The color one pops more but the clip art is just... weird. It's a good name and I feel like you're in the right direction, but it'll take an actual logo person to execute.

Best "meet the owner" type page I've seen in a long time. The fact you never give your last name is pretty jarring though. Like it actually stands out.

FAQ page is a good start, copy could used massaged and would love to see it more readable.
Good point with the last name. I'll include it in there.

I'm actually working with someone now to modify the logo a bit. I agree with you. Do you think somethkng colored looks better or something more clean one or two shades of black/grey?

What do you think would help the FAQ page? That's the newest page, kinda threw it together quick and I've been trying to think of some changes to make to it.

Thanks for your feedback. It's very helpfull to get unbiased opinions
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-17-2014, 03:26 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I spent 40+ hours trying to hammer out a logo for myself when I got started before I realized that I suck at logos. That's why I was recommending a pro. I'm no use there, I just know what I don't like. I'm one of those.

I think the font for the name - especially in b&w - looks kind of old school hand '70s/early 80s hand done car shop sign, like it's where I would go if I wanted a barbarian chick painted on my van (please just pretend you know what I mean and I'm not old). In our industry I would think you'd want something with color to pop at you. It could be two color, like navy blue and white, but I think black and white and gray looks dusty and tired.

The FAQ page could just use some oomph - beef up the answers a little, almost like you were explaining these things to your favorite client. And maybe do the question bold, a space, and then the answer in plain text below. You want it easy to read. People on websites are grazing, make it simple and easy to follow.
Old 02-17-2014, 03:27 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son and Snow View Post
I'm actually working with someone now to modify the logo a bit. I agree with you. Do you think somethkng colored looks better or something more clean one or two shades of black/grey?
You have a web site that looks modern, crisp, bright, and colorful. How do you think a grayscale logo looks on it?

Re: the colored logo, (disclaimer: we all have different tastes, however it's hard to argue bad design) it just doesn't look professional, nor does it fit your site design. It looks like the only thing not thrown at it was the clip art kitchen sink . When you have to shoehorn in the "&", you're not going down a good design path. The "&" is a part of your name, as well as can easily be a design element.

The short, balanced name of "Son & Snow", plus the easy integration of a sun and snow flake, should be any graphic designer's puff gig.

Edit: Papercutter is old.
Old 02-17-2014, 03:50 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygreek View Post
You have a web site that looks modern, crisp, bright, and colorful. How do you think a grayscale logo looks on it?

Re: the colored logo, (disclaimer: we all have different tastes, however it's hard to argue bad design) it just doesn't look professional, nor does it fit your site design. It looks like the only thing not thrown at it was the clip art kitchen sink . When you have to shoehorn in the "&", you're not going down a good design path. The "&" is a part of your name, as well as can easily be a design element.

The short, balanced name of "Son & Snow", plus the easy integration of a sun and snow flake, should be any graphic designer's puff gig.

Edit: Papercutter is old.
Gotcha. At one point actually I did have the sun and snowflake in the logo. Don't remember why I took It out but I agree that It would be cool and effective to integrate it into the logo. Let me see what my buddy can come up with designs like that and ill post them to get some opinions. Im into the whole clean/simple design. Thats the new modern way and people like it. Gives it a fresh feel and look

36 inch Wright stander
Toro personal pace
2 Stihl FS 90 R Trimmers
2 Stihl BR600 Blowers
McLane walk behind edger