Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 02-15-2014, 12:27 PM
LawnSite Member

Rain Bird HV Valves

Just wondering if anyone is using the HV valve?
If so what do you think of it.
Old 02-15-2014, 07:29 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Looks like they copied the Hunter valve..wonder if its better. We install a lot of the Hunter glue in 4 bolt valves. Easy to fix, and screws almost never strip out.
People pay you to hold their hand. If you don't like doing it, then you are in the wrong business.
Old 02-15-2014, 08:31 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

One thing about the mfr description of this valve does not make sense. The material used is not PVC but rather polypropylene, glass-filled (something like the glass-filled nylon that's used in Silver Bullet and some Toro valves)

What that all means is that the material they say is used is not capable of being glued like PVC is, and yet there's a slip x slip model offered.

Explain this, Rainbird.
Old 02-16-2014, 10:30 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wet_Boots View Post
One thing about the mfr description of this valve does not make sense. The material used is not PVC but rather polypropylene, glass-filled (something like the glass-filled nylon that's used in Silver Bullet and some Toro valves)

What that all means is that the material they say is used is not capable of being glued like PVC is, and yet there's a slip x slip model offered.

Explain this, Rainbird.
Maybe on the SxS model there is a co-molded PVC socket??
Old 02-17-2014, 11:34 AM
LawnSite Member

My understanding is the HV is a value-minded product. Damn, is a DV really that expensive to some people? Regardless of brand, the last place I'm looking to squeeze a nickel is in the valves...
I personally just filed it under RB marketing fails along with their "Lower list price than Hunter" marketing campaign. We bill for parts based off list price, so thanks for decreasing our margins.
Old 02-17-2014, 11:35 AM
LawnSite Member

I have used a few at my house they gave me as demo's no issues yet. But they seem built extremely cheap for my liking's
Old 02-17-2014, 03:36 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I think the HV might also be a testing ground for a (slightly) different construction. Different solenoid. Different diaphragm design.
Old 02-17-2014, 04:50 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0 View Post
I personally just filed it under RB marketing fails along with their "Lower list price than Hunter" marketing campaign. We bill for parts based off list price, so thanks for decreasing our margins.
Then use Hunter or mark up your parts differently. This is a strange thing to be mad at a manufacturer for. They lowered the price which benefits you. Bob and Sally homeowner have no idea what the Rain Bird list price is for products! I had no issues with paying less and charging the same for product!
Old 02-17-2014, 05:36 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

They lowered the list price without lowering the wholesale price, and that's why the gripe.
Old 02-17-2014, 05:47 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wet_Boots View Post
They lowered the list price without lowering the wholesale price, and that's why the gripe.
Then is sounds like some of the distributors didn't lower their whosale prices. Our distributor lowered their prices. I get a set % discount off of list price. That's the way that most of the big distributors work.