Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-26-2013, 11:52 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

"About Us" pages

A recurring issue we see on almost all small business sites, and LCO sites in particular, is an extremely weak About Us page. When we review sites on here, beside the usual SEO issues or thin Services page, a really weak link for people seems to be their About Us pages. If there is any page that should really engage people, capture their attention, or get to know you, that's the place to do it.

Saying that you provide great service and can't wait to service their property is as assumed by the customer as the "free quote" is. Tell them more. What's your background? Why are you an expert, or what makes you think you are? Telling people you're 22, but have been in business for 10 years leaves me thinking "A.) That's BS. B.)Great, the kid mowed his neighbor's lawn until he decided he didn't want to go to college or work for someone else." There has to be more to that story, whether it be why you chose the path you chose, the moment you realized it, the business success arc, whatever. Tell a story. Have one, great referral or quote from a satisfied customer? Drop it in there. Use it as supporting detail or as a simple pull quote. Have more staff than just you? Please, feature them, have a headshot, tell us about them, and build a bond, trust, and familiarity, with your clients, or potential clients.

My own About Us pages have always told my story, with some of it relating to my education, life-shaping career experiences, how I ended up in the business, etc. They've always been well-written, as well as had a point for the About Us page's existence. I always included one throwaway, unrelated point of interest, even on my corporate resume, which, without fail, was always mentioned by an interviewer or potential client. It was always a variation of "Tony has successfully bungee jumped more than 500 times, while also maintaining a Top Secret clearance with the United States government. We'd like to say those two things are mutually exclusive, but what fun would that be?"

Here's a great article on the dreaded About Us page. Read this and then visit your own. What do you see? What can you improve?

How to Create a Great About Page

Last edited by tonygreek; 12-26-2013 at 11:57 AM.
Old 12-26-2013, 01:24 PM
LawnSite Member

Great article, thanks for sharing. I've recently reworked my about us page to include past careers, college, why I do this type of work, etc. I like how the article recommended having an area of the page dedicated to testimonials. I do not currently have a testimonials section, but will land it on my about us page.
Old 12-26-2013, 01:49 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I tend to take testimonial pages with a grain of salt, mostly because of the generic, not entirely believable, "Great service! - Bob S." types.

Now, integrating and linking to reviews is something I love, as there is at least some level of realism and comfort in seeing it via a, hopefully legit, review site.

Another thing I really like to do is pepper a site with random pull or block quote testimonials. If you're a Wordpress user, the "Random Text" widget is a great way to do this.
Old 12-26-2013, 03:30 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygreek View Post
I tend to take testimonial pages with a grain of salt, mostly because of the generic, not entirely believable, "Great service! - Bob S." types.

Now, integrating and linking to reviews is something I love, as there is at least some level of realism and comfort in seeing it via a, hopefully legit, review site.

Another thing I really like to do is pepper a site with random pull or block quote testimonials. If you're a Wordpress user, the "Random Text" widget is a great way to do this.
I see your point. I have seen reviews on websites that could have been written by a family member. I have an account with Manta but if someone wants to leave a review they need to sign up for an account. I'm sure angie's list is the same way. I feel people do not want another account to keep up with.
Old 12-26-2013, 03:37 PM
LawnSite Member

One of the best ways I've seen to get believable reviews is to make an easy Facebook page and encourage people to review you on there. Is about the only purpose I've found for a Facebook page in this industry. That way people can read real person reviews verified by their Facebook profile.

I disagree with Tony on the "about us" page and think it should be totally omitted on a website in this industry. people are going to your website to find out 3 things "what you do", "how much you charge", and "where to sign up". Customers give about as much of a hoot about your personal story, as you give about the inception and growth of wal mart when you walk into their store to buy towels and a Christmas card.

Give them only what they want. The more noise the faster they run away IMO.

My website follows this philosophy. See it here. www.herowinnipeg.com
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-26-2013, 03:47 PM
LawnSite Member

I'm not a site sponsor, so I can't tell you too much!
Old 12-26-2013, 04:02 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodaggin View Post
I disagree with Tony on the "about us" page and think it should be totally omitted on a website in this industry. people are going to your website to find out 3 things "what you do", "how much you charge", and "where to sign up".
You have the data to support this? I do. It's also why I reference the 2.4 clicks in the other thread.
Old 12-26-2013, 04:53 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodaggin View Post
I disagree with Tony on the "about us" page and think it should be totally omitted on a website in this industry. people are going to your website to find out 3 things "what you do", "how much you charge", and "where to sign up". Customers give about as much of a hoot about your personal story, as you give about the inception and growth of wal mart when you walk into their store to buy towels and a Christmas card.
Posted via Mobile Device
My opinion is that regardless of the service, if your website doesn't have a decent About page, I won't be calling you...particularly for a service that requires you to come to my home.

There is also a big difference between a poorly executed mind-numbingly boring 150 year company history, and a personable "this is who I am, why I do what I do, and how I can help you" story.

I agree with Tony, and believe the About page is an often missed opportunity to stand out from the crowd.
Old 12-26-2013, 06:37 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

The "About Us" page is usually your second most visited page. People expect it to exist and be in the header. Even if they never visit it, it's a trust signal. To the people who do click it, it obviously matters. Put a contact form on it if you think it's just fluff- but tell a little story too.

I personally believe that the "About Page" is especially key in successfully marketing to women- who control over 50% of the wealth in the US. And make up about 75% of my maintenance business.

If you have a bad or non-existent "About Us" you are leaving money on the table. Some competitor who does all the same things you do- but with personality- is getting that business. Unless you are a low baller like Walmart, then who care?
Old 12-27-2013, 12:34 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

You would be amazed (i know I am) at the # of people who, in the initial meeting, reference things I have on my about page. Your low dollar, zero-upsell-or-value-add-potential customers don't care, but to be honest all you need for them is a one page site with a big button saying "click here for your cheap-a$$ quote". Those aren't the customers most smaller businesses want.

People want to do business with other human beings, whether they know it or not. Think about it like this. If I ask you if you know a guy who can fix my furnace and your friend Matt does it, how are you going to refer him? "Call my friend Matt, he's a great guy, super conscientious, he'll take great care of you" or "call Matt, he does HVAC work I guess." Your website should be priming the pump in the style of the first one.