Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 02-19-2014, 12:50 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

A little story on Atrazine

This article came out in last week's New Yorker
http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2...urrentPage=all

It's a long read for those who are used to short posts and twitter.

The nation that destroys its soil destroys itself.
Franklin D. Roosevelt
Old 02-19-2014, 01:59 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I was wondering how long it was going to take for this article to surface on this board.

Although the article is very biased, incomplete, and tries to make Hayes the center of the story (instead of making the research the center of the story), it does give some "air" time to the importance of research methods and it lends some insight into human perception.

*How* you do something is every bit as important as the simple act of just doing it. This article also illustrates that most people think the first thing they hear about a topic is the absolute truth (whether it actually is or not) and that people's entire framework about a topic is heavily influenced by that initial word, regardless of its veracity. Another example would be "if you like your plan, you can keep your plan."
Old 02-19-2014, 06:52 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

no shortages of frogs in south fla from atraizine usage...
Old 02-19-2014, 10:34 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

here in georgia we use atrazine on small islands on lakes and ponds to smoke everything on the island. works best when the bass are on their bed
Old 02-19-2014, 10:59 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I have a bass pond 50 ft from my garage door. The frogs have been out the last couple of nights with a vengeance only because of the warmer than normal temps we've had. We had a couple of huge frogs that disappeared for awhile but they've returned or have been replaced.

I do not apply atrazine. It's tough on azaleas and dogwoods if you're not really careful and I don't need it to gain the spectrum of control on weeds where other, safer herbicides are available and effective.
Old 02-20-2014, 07:43 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

As I said, this article was poorly written and incomplete. All members of the triazine and triazinone classes have some impact on amphibian populations. While I see the hands going up from the "I don't use that" crowd, I am willing to bet that most in the southeast have used or are still using members of these classes.

Does anyone still use Sencor (metribuzin)? Propbably not as many as we would have seen 20 yrs ago.

Anybody still use simazine? It's very similar to atrazine, can adversely affect amphibian populations, and carries label setbacks for applications near water. I bet a lot of people on this board use simazine, which is very similar to atrazine.
Old 02-20-2014, 08:16 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

The Old Basagram, Atrazine and Asulox combo was the best Herbicide mix ever for St Augustine. Sadly Auslox was taken off the Horticulture side for Financial Reasons (not enough Sales) and Atrazine is now a RUP. I try and stay away from any RUP because I hate the extra paper work.

As far as Frog Mutations etc., anything can effect them. Frogs are the most chemically sensitive of all Aquatic life forms.

FYI Yes there is a homeowner Atrazine that isn't a RUP. However the cost pre thousand applied compared to RUP Atrazine is out of the Ball Park.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 02-20-2014, 09:50 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipster View Post
As I said, this article was poorly written and incomplete.
Someone with an agenda skewing information? Hard to believe such an accusation these days...
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-20-2014, 10:07 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey guys. I went to the state courthouse here in Annapolis Maryland to petition the 'house environmental matters committee' to ban the use of atrazine state wide. I went with a local farmer who is very active on these kinds of things. We were aware that 71% of people in our state are exposed to atrazine in their drinking water! And atrazine causes cancer(breast cancer) I did testify. Unfortunately it was towards the end of the day and some of the people on the committee were browsing the internet while people were testifying, not paying attention to them. Also very eye opening, there was at least one pesticide dealer on the committee. Gee, there is no conflict of interest there. Needless to say it didn't get banned.
I don't use chemicals in my business since I find it immoral to put more cancer causing chemicals into peoples air, food, and water. Anyways we all will reap what we sow, but the sad part is when your pesticides get into other peoples air, food, and water.
Old 02-20-2014, 01:18 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efficiency View Post
Someone with an agenda skewing information? Hard to believe such an accusation these days...
Posted via Mobile Device
Poorly written or not, the gist of the article is about the part played by corporate interests in manipulating information.

The nation that destroys its soil destroys itself.
Franklin D. Roosevelt