Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather
View Poll Results: Timecutter, Raptor, or MZ?
Toro Timecutter 4260 4 36.36%
Hustler Raptor 4 36.36%
Bad Boy MZ 3 27.27%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-16-2014, 12:24 PM
LawnSite Member

Toro Timecutter 4260, Hustler Raptor, or Bad Boy MZ

Hi folks,
Getting ready to pull the trigger and have narrowed it down to these three. The Hustler and Bad Boy are both beefier and I believe would cut better longer, but of the three only the Toro has a decent choice of dealer/service within 30 miles. I'm mowing just under an acre, mostly flat with one 12* slope, once or twice a week.

Toro Timecutter 4260: Kaw FR726; stamped deck; hour meter; foot assist deck; 18" seat; tires 18x7.5/10x4; auto break; three year warranty; $3000.

Hustler Raptor: Kaw FR651; fabricated deck; tires 18x8.5/11x4; auto break; three year warranty; $2800.

Bad Boy MZ: Kaw FR726; fabricated deck; tires 18x8.5/11x6; foot assist deck, 18" seat; manual break; two year warranty; $3400.

If I travel an hour I can get service for the Hustler or Bad Boy, both of which I prefer. However, Toro is within 15 minutes in any direction I go.

Vote? Thoughts?

Thanks in advance,
DC
Old 02-16-2014, 01:51 PM
LawnSite Member

Should all do the job. Nearby dealer support is a great thing...of course ideally for a homeowner user you shouldn't need too much back up / have much maintenance besides periodic stuff. I'd rather take a fab deck. Bad Boy have a good following, good value for money and the foot deck lift is nice. Hustler puts more in your pocket and is the brand I've come to after nine months of heavy research. Hand lift deck isn't my fav, but if your yard is basically smoothe, then no big deal. The built in brake is a nice feature that tidies up the operator area a lot.
Old 02-16-2014, 01:58 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRCo. View Post
Should all do the job. Nearby dealer support is a great thing...of course ideally for a homeowner user you shouldn't need too much back up / have much maintenance besides periodic stuff. I'd rather take a fab deck. Bad Boy have a good following, good value for money and the foot deck lift is nice. Hustler puts more in your pocket and is the brand I've come to after nine months of heavy research. Hand lift deck isn't my fav, but if your yard is basically smoothe, then no big deal. The built in brake is a nice feature that tidies up the operator area a lot.
Thanks for your thoughts. I have some areas in my yard where I know the foot assist would be helpful. Do you have foot assist on your machine? When I get to the H dealer this week I'll ask him if he can add it on.
Old 02-16-2014, 02:12 PM
LawnSite Member

You can't add it, you'd have to get the Raptor SD. Then you are at $4000. Of course, it's a whole lot sweeter rig! I own an old old Ariens mower, hand lift. My approach is scalp it til it's even! My months of research were in to what to be a dealer of, I always went back to Hustler no matter what else I investigated. I'm not saying go with the Hustler above the others because of that, the BB offers the footlift and bigger engine. I'm trying to be impartial...though I made my choice.
Old 02-16-2014, 02:25 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRCo. View Post
You can't add it, you'd have to get the Raptor SD. Then you are at $4000. Of course, it's a whole lot sweeter rig! I own an old old Ariens mower, hand lift. My approach is scalp it til it's even! My months of research were in to what to be a dealer of, I always went back to Hustler no matter what else I investigated. I'm not saying go with the Hustler above the others because of that, the BB offers the footlift and bigger engine. I'm trying to be impartial...though I made my choice.
Good to know- cannot add the foot assist. My lawn/property is something I like to work at a bit. My lawn is plush with landscaping beds put in by a previous owner who was retired and a nut about ornamentals (I still am not sure what the heck is in there). I have hand edged each bed with a spade and replace the mulch every other year. I am also a bit OC about the stripes. I alternate each week horizontal/vertical/diag1/diag2. You could probably set a transom by how straight the lines are-- heh heh.

Regarding the mower I want the best QOC.
Old 02-16-2014, 03:16 PM
LawnSite Member

Sounds like a nice place! Your yard and mine are a bit different... I have 3/4 acre of grass and the rest is trees. I'm no gardener, don't have the time even if I wanted. QOC will depend on blades and sharpness as much as anything else. Being the homeowner you have the luxury of mowing only when conditions are good so that's an advantage. If possible I'd look at Raptor SD, that's the machine I will be promoting around here due to the up and down terrain, etc. Theres another $1000 involved, but if you get the 0% finance and plan on owning it for ten years, then it's really no detriment. Better tranny, more deck, better seat, bigger wheels, foot deck drop... If you bought the Bad Boy you'd financially already be halfway there. Just an idea.
Old 02-17-2014, 12:37 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcfas View Post
Hi folks,
Getting ready to pull the trigger and have narrowed it down to these three. The Hustler and Bad Boy are both beefier and I believe would cut better longer, but of the three only the Toro has a decent choice of dealer/service within 30 miles. I'm mowing just under an acre, mostly flat with one 12* slope, once or twice a week.

Toro Timecutter 4260: Kaw FR726; stamped deck; hour meter; foot assist deck; 18" seat; tires 18x7.5/10x4; auto break; three year warranty; $3000.
However, Toro is within 15 minutes in any direction I go.

Vote? Thoughts?

Thanks in advance,
DC
http://www.toro.com/en-us/homeowner/...r-mx4260-74640 Promo price is $3,599 which I guess if you are looking for the nearest service location, should play into your mix.
Old 02-17-2014, 12:09 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by newz7151 View Post
http://www.toro.com/en-us/homeowner/...r-mx4260-74640 Promo price is $3,599 which I guess if you are looking for the nearest service location, should play into your mix.
Thanks. Funny you posted this as I was thinking about it last night and discussed it with the Mrs. As I understand it the fabricated deck is more than just tougher. It is sturdier for all the components right down to the blades. Less flex, etc.

With the Toro dealers so close I think it may be the leader.

I guess money solves everything.

DC
Old 04-10-2014, 10:58 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcfas View Post
Hi folks,

Hustler Raptor: Kaw FR651; fabricated deck; tires 18x8.5/11x4; auto break; three year warranty; $2800.

Bad Boy MZ: Kaw FR726; fabricated deck; tires 18x8.5/11x6; foot assist deck, 18" seat; manual break; two year warranty; $3400.

If I travel an hour I can get service for the Hustler or Bad Boy, both of which I prefer. However, Toro is within 15 minutes in any direction I go.

Vote? Thoughts?

Thanks in advance,
DC

I have had My MZ48 Bad Boy for 5 seasons now and it is built like a tank and mows flawlessly. I've had zero issues with the mower, and after 5 seasons the price is still the same. Not many brands can say that
Old 04-16-2014, 10:57 PM
LawnSite Member

I bought the Toro MX4260. In the end it came down to dealer support. Believe it or not, Bad Boy could only be had through TSC around here and the service was, no kidding, a bicycle shop. It may have changed to a mower service shop but it still has the bicycle in its name. Lol. I really liked the Hustler, too. Once again, the nearest dealer/service was over an hour and a total unknown to me.

Toro is everywhere around up here. I went with the the same dealer/service shop I've had for the past five years and they do work on everything from push mowers to golf course machines.

I'll post some pics when I get the machine and maybe a thorough review once I've used it a number of times.

Finally, I ordered it with the mulch kit. I also purchased a bagger at a discount. I figure I'll switch to the bagger come fall for the leaves.

Thanks for the feedback,

DC