Register free!

Old 02-17-2014, 08:53 PM
LawnSite Member

Question insurance questions

hello guys im a bit new to the forum. I run a small lawn care business that's somewhat new. I know a bit about lawn care but not the licenses and insurance. So I have my fictitious name, tax receipt from the town I live in, And my ein. But I kinda feel like im missing something to be fully legal/licensed. Also insurance. What would I need to take on commercial lots? I got good place lined up but they said I just need to get insured.
Old 02-17-2014, 09:06 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grahamslawncare View Post
hello guys im a bit new to the forum. I run a small lawn care business that's somewhat new. I know a bit about lawn care but not the licenses and insurance. So I have y fictitious name, tax receipt from the town I live in, And my ein. But I kinda feel like im missing something to be fully legal/licensed. Also insurance. What would I need to take on commercial lots? I got good place lined up but they said I just need to get insured.
Ask the place that you might have lined up what their requirements are as that sounds like it would be a good starting place. I do not do any what I would consider real commercial work ...but I still carry 1million/2million. You can start with much less

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Old 02-17-2014, 11:26 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I got mine through Nationwide and they were quite reasonable. For 1 million liability and $12,000 inland marine coverage on my equipment, it's around $600/year. They don't even charge extra on the liability for chemical apps like some other companies do. With others, my premium would have been twice as much just because of the chemicals.
Husqvarna 223L Trimmer
Husqvarna 326LS Trimmer
Husqvarna 580BTS Blower
Husqvarna BT150 Blower
Kawasaki KHDS600 Hedge Trimmer
Toro Multi-Tool
RedMax BM46i Backpack Sprayer
Carry On 5.5 x 10 Open Trailer
2004 Toyota Tacoma

The next time someone complains about your pricing, ask them how much their barber would charge to come over and cut their hair.
Old 02-18-2014, 08:09 PM
LawnSite Member

State Farm is Great.... under $1000... Covered High risk for aerial tree service, snow removal, 10 vehicles..

I'm relocating to Florida, whats the marine inland coverage?

Bucket Truck/Chipper

Landscapes/Hardscapes

7 Trucks
2 Loaders
1 Mini skid steer
A Army of MEN

Old 02-18-2014, 08:59 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
hello guys im a bit new to the forum. I run a small lawn care business that's somewhat new. I know a bit about lawn care but not the licenses and insurance. So I have my fictitious name, tax receipt from the town I live in, And my ein. But I kinda feel like im missing something to be fully legal/licensed. Also insurance. What would I need to take on commercial lots? I got good place lined up but they said I just need to get insured.

Generally they will require a minimum of 1 million liability and Work Comp. 100 thousand, 500,000 thousand, 100,000 thousand along with license's for any work stipulated in the contract.
Old 02-18-2014, 10:30 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
How do you have your business setup that requires an EIN? You may need to get on board with the state of Florida for taxes.
Old 02-19-2014, 04:27 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by unkownfl View Post
How do you have your business setup that requires an EIN? You may need to get on board with the state of Florida for taxes.
I am confused by what you mean here Unkownfl.....why would he NOT have a EIN if he has employees?

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Old 02-19-2014, 11:20 AM
LawnSite Member

I don't have employees. When I was filling out all the paperwork they kept asking for an EIN so i had to get one of those. When I filled it out i checked no employees.
Old 02-19-2014, 11:31 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
I don't have employees. When I was filling out all the paperwork they kept asking for an EIN so i had to get one of those. When I filled it out i checked no employees.
A TIN would have done it too, or you can use your SS#. Anything employee related needs an EIN from the IRS.

"Inland Marine" I cannot explain the name. It covers your equipment. You guys are getting awesome insurance prices. I couldn't get those rates if I was married to an agent here in IA.
Old 02-19-2014, 12:16 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landscape Poet View Post
I am confused by what you mean here Unkownfl.....why would he NOT have a EIN if he has employees?
I was referring to if he has an INC or a LLC taxed S corp. Just simply stating that FL will want their share if so. Not talking about sales tax. You will need to register with the department of revenue for the State of Florida most likely. I had travelers without an equipment rider. I think I paid like 500ish with 2 employees 10% commercial 90% residential revenue. Adding equipment would have been like 1200 extra a year and I didn't feel the need to pay that at the time.