Register free!

Old 02-25-2014, 06:06 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

looks like early growing season

A lot of rain and warmer temps got things growing quickly. I really don't want to hit the growing season quite yet.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-25-2014, 10:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

We hit it to soon this year , we short cut some of our lawns last week and did their first round fertilize app.( 150lbs. 32-0-0 acre) We have green up on the ones completed and tomorrow's temprature is 37/19 so we may be up creek.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-25-2014, 10:12 PM
LawnSite Member

Yeah im holding off on the fertilizer and pre-emergent. I just know another wave of cold is coming before it really gets to be spring weather.
Old 02-25-2014, 10:30 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by williams lcm View Post
A lot of rain and warmer temps got things growing quickly. I really don't want to hit the growing season quite yet.
Posted via Mobile Device
I personally do not see how people what until April to go weekly here. It is far to warm generally by then and the lawns are growing, weeds are germinating like crazy in the landscape beds, the shrubs are hitting growth spikes.....yet nobody is going weekly until April? I go weekly every year in March. This year we started this week just to get a head start on things. You can not grow if you are playing catch up.

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Old 02-25-2014, 11:22 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Man, that went by quick! Based on what I've seen this week, 50% will be back to weekly by March 1st
Old 02-25-2014, 11:39 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Southern Sarasota county has been pretty dry the last few weeks. I did have some good rains for awhile which got things growing but now, the pine tree pollen is turning everything yellow and no rain for about 2 1/2 weeks. I cut a lawn on Monday and pollen dust turned my turf tiger yellow. I'm hoping for some rain to clean the air, eyes are itching and grass is slowing. crazy so far! I did notice on some yards in the landscape beds that the crabgrass is starting to sprout.
Old 02-26-2014, 07:48 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-26-2014, 07:53 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Alot of leaves again. Switching over to mulch blades again. Some of the driveways are coated in leaves. Some lco's in my area don't start weekly service until 1st of may . They do it every year and no matter how quick the grass grows. They keep the customers somehow. I guess they are keeping more money in the pocket if they do this year after year.
Old 02-26-2014, 05:00 PM
LawnSite Member

It is all about the math and the contract. We contract 30,36, 38, and 41 services in a year. We will sell the 36 services for the most part. We will not start weekly on any property until March 15th and on non irrigated property's/retention ponds its May 15th or June 1st.
Lets say you have 60 mowing contracts and you are charging $30 per service for 38 services per year for $95 per month OR $30 for 36 services at $90 per month. Since selling a contract for $90 or $95 per month it basically the same thing. We will sell 36 service for the $95/month. $5 per contract per month is an extra $300 per month Profit. In addition to the savings of not sending a truck to the property's 2 times per year.
So what happens when one of the many lawn turds comes by and gets your account for less money or more services per year.
Nothing, all company's should have ongoing marking to get new contracts. Fact of business is you will lose contracts. As long as you are watching you marking numbers. keeping you client acquisition cost down. You can afford to replace the lost contracts.
Say you will lose about 5 accounts per year which cost us about $1500 to replace. Since we are making that extra $300 per month or $3600 per year you are still ahead $2100.

Mowing grass is the least profitable service that we offer. However it is a steady cash stream and it also allows us to provide our more profitable services with out the cost of acquiring a new costumer.