Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 02-18-2014, 11:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

First skid sprayer

Picked up this used 200 gallon Lesco sprayer for $1600.It has the Hypro D403 pump, 5.5hp Kawasaki and a electric Haney reel with hose. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the reels motor works properly but I didn't get to see it work. The engine started right up and sounded good but the pressure gauge wouldn't show anything. There is a hole in the tip of the gun so the antifreeze just kind of flowed out like a garden hose. Could this be why the gauge wouldn't show any pressure? The guy I bought it from said the gauge hadn't worked since he owned it. (Seems a bit odd but he bought it used also.) he only sprayed a post emergent with it and said he never adjusted the pressure. I plan on changing out all the hoses, redoing the electrical wiring for the hose reel, buying a new pressure gauge, changing the oils, filters and tuning the pump to get it ready for this upcoming season. I also plan on rerouting the bypass line into the tank instead of having it run back into the intake line.

This is my first time working on a skid sprayer so any additional insight is much appreciated. Anyone with experience with this particular skid I would love to here from you. What do you like, don't like? What else should I replace or do to prepare for this season?

As of right now I just plan on using this for post emergent.
Attached Images

Old 02-18-2014, 11:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I forgot one of the main questions I had by started this thread... Do you think I got a fair deal on this?
Old 02-18-2014, 11:52 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'm going to plug this connection and reroute the line into the tank. From what I've read this will help alleviate any unwanted stress on the pump.
Attached Images

Old 02-18-2014, 11:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Here is the gauge currently on it. I don't even think its the right type.
Attached Images

Old 02-18-2014, 11:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Here's an overhead shot of the unit. All hoses were removed before taking pictures.
Attached Images

Old 02-19-2014, 11:27 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Above Par Lawns View Post
I forgot one of the main questions I had by started this thread... Do you think I got a fair deal on this?
A brand new Honda 5hp coupled to a hypro d30 with regulator is a little over $1000
A brand new 300 foot 1/2 inch electric hose reel is around $600
300 feet of 1/2 inch 600 psi hose is $300
A brand new 200 gallon tank is around $150-250
New hoses, plumbing fittings and stainless hose clamps and bolts, nuts , washers $50-100

Total cost of new components $2100-$2250

I usually buy all the components and bolt them to the truck bed or trailer so I don't know the value of the frame, but if I was having one made, I would opt for one made of aluminum.

Last edited by CTPTURF; 02-19-2014 at 11:32 PM.
Old 02-19-2014, 11:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTPTURF View Post
A brand new Honda 5hp coupled to a hypro d30 with regulator is a little over $1000
A brand new 300 foot 1/2 inch electric hose reel is around $600
300 feet of 1/2 inch 600 psi hose is $300
A brand new 200 gallon tank is around $150-250
New hoses, plumbing fittings and stainless hose clamps and bolts, nuts , washers $50-100

Total cost of new components $2100-$2250

I usually buy all the components and bolt them to the truck bed or trailer so I don't know the value of the frame, but if I was having one made, I would opt for one made of aluminum.

A Hypro d403 pump alone is a 6-700 dollar item. I think you're awful low on your prices for a tank and the hoses/fittings.

But that is a high pressure pump and it comes with a 1000 psi gauge. Make sure to change the diaphragms.
Old 02-20-2014, 12:10 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
But that is a high pressure pump and it comes with a 1000 psi gauge
Probably the reason why that 100psi gauge is permanently pinned to the backside of the zero pressure stop.
Old 02-20-2014, 12:17 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Above Par Lawns View Post
Picked up this used 200 gallon Lesco sprayer for $1600.It has the Hypro D403 pump, 5.5hp Kawasaki and a electric Haney reel with hose. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the reels motor works properly but I didn't get to see it work. The engine started right up and sounded good but the pressure gauge wouldn't show anything. There is a hole in the tip of the gun so the antifreeze just kind of flowed out like a garden hose. Could this be why the gauge wouldn't show any pressure? The guy I bought it from said the gauge hadn't worked since he owned it. (Seems a bit odd but he bought it used also.) he only sprayed a post emergent with it and said he never adjusted the pressure. I plan on changing out all the hoses, redoing the electrical wiring for the hose reel, buying a new pressure gauge, changing the oils, filters and tuning the pump to get it ready for this upcoming season. I also plan on rerouting the bypass line into the tank instead of having it run back into the intake line.

This is my first time working on a skid sprayer so any additional insight is much appreciated. Anyone with experience with this particular skid I would love to here from you. What do you like, don't like? What else should I replace or do to prepare for this season?

As of right now I just plan on using this for post emergent.
I would pro-actively change the diaphragms/ pulsation dampener bladder and check/ replace the internal valves springs and make sure the valves move freely up and down. Its good to do this every winter if pump has been used in daily service. I have broken some springs in the past. Use a non detergent oil in the pump body itself. I believe 30w. Fill pulsation dampener to required psi with air. Use Never-Seize on the head bolts when putting it all back together.

Check condition of gear oil in the gearbox reducer. Look for excessive metal shavings and top off to required level.

Also go ahead and replace the solenoid and switch on the hose reel. They also go out when you are the busiest. When wiring it to battery, DO NOT forget to use appropriate fuse.

Put fresh starter cord on the recoil starter. I always put extra cord on mine so as it gets frayed near the handle, I can slide the handle down a foot and cut off the bad area before it breaks.

Get one of those tubes that permanently screws into the engine oil drain with a cap on it. Makes for much cleaner oil changes.

Check the filter screen for any holes/ deformations that would allow debris to get to the pump.

On the hoses, be sure to use suction hose with the spiral wound reinforcement or else it will collapse over a limited time. Use 600 psi hose for all pressure side hose.

As far as trouble shooting no- pressure woes, first check filter for clogs then look for areas in the suction side that are letting in air.
Old 02-20-2014, 01:58 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Great stuff guys I really appreciate it. I ordered a bunch of new parts today from Lesco. They didn't have much on hand which kind of sucked but once they're in Ill be sure update. When I told the guys at Lesco about how I wanted to reroute the bypass line into the tank instead of the suction line they looked at me like I was crazy and said it is unnecessary. Here is a link where I got that info...http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=264337&page=4
should I reroute this line and will it help alleviate unwanted stress on the pump?

Stupid question but what is a pulsation dampener bladder?