Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-13-2003, 08:48 PM
LawnSite Member

?price for leave removal?

This is my first year in the business and some of my customer want us to do some leaf and stick removal before the start of the season. What is the best way to charge for such a service? I have heard that you can charge by the man per hour, by the bag, or both. Can someone please offer a little friendly advice.
thank you in advance.
Joe
Old 03-13-2003, 09:07 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

try these old threads: http://lawnsite.com/search.php?s=&ac...der=descending

not all are going to have what you want, but some really get into it. I charge by the hour, and get at LEAST what i get hourly to mow.
Old 03-18-2003, 09:09 PM
LawnSite Member

I am new also, started last June, but I charge base on additional time. I charge $40.00, reg. cut rate, additional $20 to pick up and dispose of leaves. This is for about 30 bushels. I think I could probably get more. If accumulation of leaves is not heavy I charge only the reg cut rate.LOL.
Old 03-18-2003, 09:45 PM
LawnSite Member

Although I can't get away with it in my area if you can charge by the hour go for it. If you can't just remember that if you don't have a vac of some kind leaves can become slow and tedious. If you are going to remove them from the property don't forget to include travel time gas and dump fees.
Old 03-21-2003, 09:55 PM
LawnSite Member

Leaf removal should be completed on a per man hour basis. This is the only fair thing for you and your customer.

Determing your hourly costs for this service should be based on your cost per hour of operation and then add what the market will bear in your area. People will pay for it, but you must be servicing the right people. Too many times, we lack confidence and PRIDE in our profession and don't expect it. When's the last time you needed a professional contractor (heating & air), (plumber) etc and told them you would not pay thier rate? Is the success of their service more important than the success of yours?

Only you can answer that question! And please, do not allow yourself to come up with a thousand excuses why that is different and can not be done in this industry! Look PROFESSIONAL, ACT PROFESSIONAL AND YOU WILL BE COMPENSATED AS A PROFESSIONAL.

Have a profitable and a great Day!
"Where Profit is not a DIRTY word"
Old 03-22-2003, 10:26 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Fortunately in my area customers have options. I can either take away leaves or put them curbside for city pick up. In most cases we put them curbside for city pick up. When we do take away any leaves the customer gets charged per truck load. Most customers do not have a problem with paying our fees due to the fact that everything is outlined in our contracts. Over the years I have found the more details and time frames you put into place the better your company will be. Rarely do we run into any miscommunication problems with customers.
Travis
Old 03-22-2003, 12:20 PM

Knowing your production rates is important. But remember, your production rates will depend on who is doing the work (experienced vs. inexperienced), weather conditions, and especially equipment.

A rake, a handheld blower, a back pack blower, a push blower up to a vac.... there are levels of equipment used, and certainly levels of efficiency that come with equipment used.

Ultimately, charging by the hour is correct, but make sure your equipment and experience (speed & effectiveness) falls in line with the market.

If one person has the experience and the equipment and says their rate is $40 per hour, that does not mean a person with a rake and a tarp should be able to charge the same and get the job. This could mean .50 hours versus 3.5 hours a difference of $20 versus $140. Who would you choose if the end result would be the same?

This opens up the idea of lowballing and underbidding, which in some cases is true. But to give yourself a chance to get the work, make sure you are not overbidding just because it is what everyone else charges on an hourly rate.
Old 03-22-2003, 05:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Well put Sean!!!
Knowing your production rates is important.
A rake, a handheld blower, a back pack blower, a push blower up to a vac.... there are levels of equipment used, and certainly levels of efficiency that come with equipment used.
In this business weather can dictate production rates greatly.
Blowing leaves after a heavy rain storm the day before, is alot different than blowing dry leaves. Just as blowing leaves on windy and non windy days effects production. Property circumstances can also dictate what type of equipment will be used. With time you will learn what type of equipment to put onto a certain type of property. No one piece of equipment is the ideal machine. They all play an important role in production. Its up to you to make the call. Travis