Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-21-2014, 09:25 AM
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by twomancrew View Post
I think the forum is great for allowing polite conversations of all types. I get frustrated sometimes when the politics outnumbers the lawn threads, but heh I like to talk sometimes and is why I am here.

You started the thread with one specific purpose: to end all non-lawn threads or to have a discussion about it. That's cool. If I had my way there would be a like button on posts. Seen it elsewhere and it is a nice way to communicate without restating something already said. It seems to get more people involved in a conversation too. No need for a dislike button, that is uncalled for and I would take a beating.
Actually I did not start this thread for the reason you have stated. I counted no less than 9 threads on the first Five pages of this forum that have nothing to do with this industry. I will not say that the members that have posted these threads are lazy per say, however I believe they just don't care enough to consider the purpose of specific forums on this web-site. I believe the technology does exist under key words that can steer specific topic material into the appropriate forum.
easy-lift guy
Old 02-21-2014, 09:34 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Sometimes when I don't like the conversations being had someplace I leave and come back a day later. You know, let the crowd change. If I find that I don't fit in someplace I don't go there anymore. Mama taught me that. I have heard others say if I don't like a conversation I should change it. I'm not good at that, and on a forum it is called hijacking. So I am back to leaving the room and letting it air out a bit.
Old 02-21-2014, 09:45 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

The one thing I'd love to see is being able to filter out specific forums (specifically: Politics) out of the New Posts results.
Old 02-21-2014, 09:47 AM
Moderator, Online Communities

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachysLawn View Post
The one thing I'd love to see is being able to filter out specific forums (specifically: Politics) out of the New Posts results.
send me a PM with this request and I can check into that for you
Old 02-21-2014, 10:10 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
^^^ What he said. Politics is the primary one -- others are way down the list in priority.
Old 02-21-2014, 10:18 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

The most annoying part of ALL forums for me are threads that are titled..... Why? What Happens? Or other non specific headings. keep up the good work Michael, Charles and gang.
Old 02-21-2014, 10:43 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussellB View Post
The most annoying part of ALL forums for me are threads that are titled..... Why? What Happens? Or other non specific headings. keep up the good work Michael, Charles and gang.
I wish there was a like button for that post. Nothinglife changing in there I need to type a response about, but I like and agree with that comment.
Old 02-21-2014, 10:52 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
I agree with this, I'd love for the "New Posts" results to only list stuff from the forums I'm interested in. Great idea!!

Also, and this one isn't anything the mods can change, just a pet peeve of mine.. I can't stand it when someone quotes a huge page-long post (especially one full of photos) to reply to it. You end up scrolling down forever to get past a bunch of stuff you've already seen/read.
Old 02-21-2014, 11:11 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael J. Donovan View Post
as far as I know there is not a "filter" to do so but if there is we can look into doing so...also, it can be difficult to setup such a filter as there are some discussions that may appear to be "non-industry" related topics, but, in fact, are industry related and/or the topic can turn into a relevant industry discussion.

again, the "easiest" and best way is when someone is starting a thread, to browse the site for the "best" and most appropriate forum for their topic of discussion. and, if there is no forum that it can/should be placed in then we have the off topic forum for those discussions.
If there was a way that "key words" could be picked up. So that the thread would automatically be placed in the appropriate topic. To that end, if people would be more specific with their "subject title". Less likely for problems, as to "'what is this'"??? Also, when it is an inquiry about a specific problem, POST SOME PICS!!!
Old 02-21-2014, 11:48 AM
LawnSite Member

No more pop up ads when signed in!!!