Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 09-19-2014, 10:42 PM
LawnSite Member

Exclamation Did your stuff get taken?

I'm reading through a big number of stolen equipment threads and wondering to myself, did these guys take the time to photograph and record serial/model numbers?

They got their gear taken. It's a horrible feeling, I know.

Next thought, could you imagine a world wide tracking system that could locate your stolen gear at the touch of a button? Imagine each piece of gear registered with this system.

How would it feel to know that your truck full of gear is within minutes of being returned because this system gives you the exact location of all the contents and the truck?

Is there a demand for such a system?

Would contractors find it as valuable as their business insurance?

Should I build it?
Old 09-20-2014, 12:44 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapgrass View Post
I'm reading through a big number of stolen equipment threads and wondering to myself, did these guys take the time to photograph and record serial/model numbers?

They got their gear taken. It's a horrible feeling, I know.

Next thought, could you imagine a world wide tracking system that could locate your stolen gear at the touch of a button? Imagine each piece of gear registered with this system.

How would it feel to know that your truck full of gear is within minutes of being returned because this system gives you the exact location of all the contents and the truck?

Is there a demand for such a system?

Would contractors find it as valuable as their business insurance?

Should I build it?

lojack for mowers.

Some people have GPSs on their mowers for various reasons.
Old 09-20-2014, 12:46 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I can tell you from my experience, thieves don't normally take the most valuable piece of equipment.
They usually take the best looking one.

They would, for example, take an almost new $125 weed eater over a 10-year old $540 brush cutter.
That's despite the fact that the older brush cutter would be worth more even today.

Do you want to know the reason?

Now I'll tell you something else I've learned over the years...
When equipment comes up missing, the person who took it is usually someone who knows you.
Someone you've had contact with, you may know the person who took it as well.
It's not usually a total stranger, not saying there don't exist exceptions to the rules.
Unfortunately this doesn't make locating the equipment easier.
Old 09-20-2014, 09:14 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The fact of the matter is this: equipment is just an income producing asset. If it gets taken, go get more. It's not that complicated and surely not worth protecting at any cost. And this is coming from a co that had 65k worth of equipment stolen recently. We recovered 34k, and insurance paid us 22k. All in all, life goes on.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-20-2014, 09:37 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efficiency;5114167 If it gets taken, go get more. It's not that complicated and surely not worth protecting at any cost.
[size=1
Posted via Mobile Device[/size]
You say its not worth protecting at any cost, but yet you paid to have insurance on it? I would think a system that could recover your stuff or at least a system that someone who buys equipment could tell if it was stolen before they buy it, would be very useful.A local hardware store had two brand new mowers taken, and a friend of mine had a zero turn taken right off his trailer. How would you know if you purchased a used mower if it was stolen or not? And yes you should care.

http://www.pr-fectlawn.com
Old 09-21-2014, 01:53 AM
LawnSite Member

People will buy things cheap with serial #s scratched out, if there's no GPS tracking.
F'd up to read all these stories but I guess it's not as bad as all the auto theft and worse.

I suggest scratching your own hidden code into machinery so if you do find it but the scumbag scratches out the serial and if you actually can't win a word against word scenario, you can refer to the hidden scribing.

Tags
smart phone , stolen , theft , thieves , tracking