Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-06-2014, 03:36 PM
Sponsor

@Jeepers
Thanks! Survival is the name of the game. Locqus was pitched about a year after the thefts to my tech buddy with whom I play hockey with. It started as "I can't afford LoJack, is there something we can build or find?" It went from that to a field service management application with more depth (think scheduling, task management, payment processing, with geo-location as well). All completely free, which is cool. We put the "beacon" on the back burner until about a week ago. I have been testing the prototype and we will soon (4 weeks) be able to track hard assets for about 10-12$/mo. (actually really pumped about it, since that is where I wanted at the start and affordable for the smaller guys like myself).

Heard about some companies that track mowers as well, definitely want that one up next. I have a huge hatred for the thieves in the industry and a huge soft spot for those hit by them. Things are hard enough without the sharks circling outside our own houses ready to take our stuff.
Office: 800-647-1951
Locqus - Free Field Service Management
Proud owner of Shamrock Landscaping LLC
Old 03-06-2014, 04:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locqus View Post
@Jeepers
Thanks! Survival is the name of the game. Locqus was pitched about a year after the thefts to my tech buddy with whom I play hockey with. It started as "I can't afford LoJack, is there something we can build or find?" It went from that to a field service management application with more depth (think scheduling, task management, payment processing, with geo-location as well). All completely free, which is cool. We put the "beacon" on the back burner until about a week ago. I have been testing the prototype and we will soon (4 weeks) be able to track hard assets for about 10-12$/mo. (actually really pumped about it, since that is where I wanted at the start and affordable for the smaller guys like myself).

Heard about some companies that track mowers as well, definitely want that one up next. I have a huge hatred for the thieves in the industry and a huge soft spot for those hit by them. Things are hard enough without the sharks circling outside our own houses ready to take our stuff.
Wow, that's really cool! Once you get the ability to track a mower, would that be something that would be available for a company like me that runs just one truck/trailer/mower and not a fleet of them?
Old 03-06-2014, 04:14 PM
Sponsor

^^ of course! It was built with the smaller fleets in mind (under 10 trucks) but has the ability to scale to the larger operations as well. I only have 2 trucks myself, well 2.5. "Old Tiny" is not much of hard worker any more.
Old 03-06-2014, 05:58 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
^^ of course! It was built with the smaller fleets in mind (under 10 trucks) but has the ability to scale to the larger operations as well. I only have 2 trucks myself, well 2.5. "Old Tiny" is not much of hard worker any more.
Let me know when you get it set up for that. I will look into it for sure. Getting a new mower soon, and the whole theft thing has me nervous. Although I do have insurance, but need to look and see if that insurance covers if it is stolen out of my driveway rather than out at work which I know it covers.
Old 03-07-2014, 10:39 AM
Sponsor

^^ Definitely. We bought a new X-one end of last year and I am definitely still paranoid, literally every thing that can be padlocked is.Homeowners said that since my equipment was on a trailer it was intended for commercial use and therefore not covered. We tried that avenue as a long shot. We unload the mowers into my garage every night, safe at least. That way if they drive it out you can say it was your own personal mower so should have homeowners coverage, but I am not an insurance expert.
Old 03-07-2014, 01:26 PM
LawnSite Member

That sucks, I truly believe all thieves need to be caught and have their hands chopped off... I've had stuff stolen from me on several occasions including a $15K 48' long flatbed trailer.
Old 03-07-2014, 03:18 PM
Sponsor

^Agreed. That is crazy! They will take absolutely anything and everything. My apologies :/.
Old 03-27-2014, 10:10 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

It really is a very unique and ugly feeling when someone's going through my possessions out the front of a customer's yard while I'm mowing around the back... The sad of it is I don't always throw a glance at the truck and even if I did there's a chance I'd miss it, sadder still...

Is the cost of protecting my equipment is just as much over the years as it would have cost me to replace it all brand new but make no mistake... The consumer pays for this, we may act like we're hurt but ultimately it's our customers who must bear the brunt of the cost of theft, we are in business and we can talk big about our money when ultimately it's their money that pays our bills.

So lets make SURE we don't EVER give them thieves even one extra chance!
Old 03-27-2014, 10:31 AM
Sponsor

^^hell yea. Oh totally is! Just knowing they were rummaging through everything or somewhere is your mower or trailer being used by some &(*(). Makes me uneasy for sure.
Old 03-31-2014, 08:33 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
^^ Definitely. We bought a new X-one end of last year and I am definitely still paranoid, literally every thing that can be padlocked is.Homeowners said that since my equipment was on a trailer it was intended for commercial use and therefore not covered. We tried that avenue as a long shot. We unload the mowers into my garage every night, safe at least. That way if they drive it out you can say it was your own personal mower so should have homeowners coverage, but I am not an insurance expert.
your Home owners insurance will only cover up to $2,500 for a single mower. You will have to pay more for more coverage. Good luck trying to get more then what would be deemed necessary for home owners use covered by your Home owners policy. Better to do things the right way then risk it and hope. I have a 3rd garage that I lease to my company and am able to keep things on the up and up that way.
Posted via Mobile Device