Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-23-2014, 08:23 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Since this is a Walker only thread, what is the max hour threshold on purchasing a used walker? I always seem to see them for sale with 1700-1900 hours. That just seems like a TON to me. Let me get your opinions.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-23-2014, 08:55 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulfjoe View Post
Since this is a Walker only thread, what is the max hour threshold on purchasing a used walker? I always seem to see them for sale with 1700-1900 hours. That just seems like a TON to me. Let me get your opinions.
Posted via Mobile Device
Hours on machine it's not very important.
Maintenance is key. You can find them with 1000 hours on them in lot worst shape than some with 2000 hours.
Old 02-23-2014, 09:00 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Posted via Mobile Device
It really depends on how someone took care of the machine. A owner operator is going to be different from a Crew that runs them. There are around 30 grease points on the mower frame. This is a good place to check and you can see how they did there maintenance.
Old 02-23-2014, 10:08 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree with the above posts gulf joe....

Maintenance is huge.... Really just like any other mower...

However, unlike any other mower, if you keep up with the maintenance, the machine will last you a very, very long time... There is an amazing warranty on the hydro's and there are numerous 4000, 5000 + houred machines out there... Some on this forum

psdnate.... Hang in there man.... The more you change the decks back and forth the faster you will get... Honestly, it's like second nature to me now... I keep a SD deck with me and I have also seen some guys create clever ways to bring extra decks such as pulley systems on the sides of trailers.... What is your GHS deck? Is it a 48? If you are looking for a Walker SD deck for rougher mowing, check out the 62 SD.... Genegls is a member here and he runs one.... He swears by it for rough mowing almost to the points of brush hogging.... The 48-56 are really more along the lines for finished turf although I will say that the 56 can do ok in dry tall stuff.....
Old 02-23-2014, 12:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Posted via Mobile Device
The Walker you see I posted earlier that I bought in November had over 2400 hours when I bought it. Original engine, original hydros, literally runs perfect and smooth burns no oil. With the exception of the Kubota engines that 20hp Kohler does appear to be one of the longer lasting engines for Walker. There are multiple members on here with well over 3000 hours and some over 4000 hours on that motor.

The local dealer said they have several customers with that engine approaching 4000 hours as well original drive train.

That being said you see what I paid for it and the working condition it is in, what Im doing to it over the winter, assuming I do have to repower it this year and need to replace both hydros ( I may not need to do either) I will have about 6k into it with essentially most major components replaced. This is what a 1000 hour machine would cost (approx) and as another said some of these engines and hydros go around that time for a combination of reasons. I may get lucky and get 2 seasons out of this machine, but I can't feel bad if I don't.

I started for another company in 1997. The owner currently has 13 Walkers and bought his first the year before I started in 1996. He is a great friend and mentor I asked him this fall what happened or what did he do with that 1st machine. He told me it is still in the working line up with the other 13!! He has traded in many others but not his first. For several years that was the beater mower the new guys learned.

A new Walker was out of the question for me financially. If I spent 5-6k on used then had bad luck and needed to spend 2200-2500 on a repower or 1800 for hydros that would not go over well, or even be possible depending on the time of year. So I found a high hour solo owner operated machine and going this route.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-23-2014, 07:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Here's my 2012 GHS 26 hp efi backed into my side dump trailer!
Attached Images

http://www.facebook.com/pages/AWeave...12666792139719

http://www.aweaverlawncare.com

Rhode Island Lawncare/Landscapers Networking Thread
http://lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=367380
Old 02-23-2014, 07:50 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armsden&Son View Post
psdnate.... Hang in there man.... The more you change the decks back and forth the faster you will get... Honestly, it's like second nature to me now... I keep a SD deck with me and I have also seen some guys create clever ways to bring extra decks such as pulley systems on the sides of trailers.... What is your GHS deck? Is it a 48? If you are looking for a Walker SD deck for rougher mowing, check out the 62 SD.... Genegls is a member here and he runs one.... He swears by it for rough mowing almost to the points of brush hogging.... The 48-56 are really more along the lines for finished turf although I will say that the 56 can do ok in dry tall stuff.....
My ghs deck is a 48. I bought my 52 sd deck to cut nice turf but that job came up so I used it for that. This is my only mower and it's getting to the point I need to start using my sd deck for bigger jobs or sell the deck and get a mid mount ztr. Do they make a shoot block off that you can open and close easily for walker sd decks?
Old 02-23-2014, 07:56 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by psdnate View Post
My ghs deck is a 48. I bought my 52 sd deck to cut nice turf but that job came up so I used it for that. This is my only mower and it's getting to the point I need to start using my sd deck for bigger jobs or sell the deck and get a mid mount ztr. Do they make a shoot block off that you can open and close easily for walker sd decks?
Not that I know of, but you could always make one yourself

2013 Toyota Highlander

A mower
Another mower
A trimmer
A blower
A trailer

17 years old
Old 02-23-2014, 08:06 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Wow!!!

Great set-up FerrisDiesel!

I love it!

Did you fab that trailer yourself?

psdnate.... Have you looked into the Super B's or the new H Series? If you are a fan of the QOC that only a Walker can bring to the table but need something a little bigger and a little faster than a GHS unit, you have to take a look at the H Series... Really they are a Walker Fanatics dream come true.... Instead of having to buy a mid-mount z to take care of acreage or larger stuff, the H Series will take care of you...

As for an ocdc for Walker SD decks..... I have seen them but they have been fab'd in house in most cases.... That's not to say that you couldn't have a shop modify one or figure something out for you....
Old 02-23-2014, 08:18 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah I fabbed it up this summer, works really well since I am a solo operator. Makes life alot easier on my back!

http://www.facebook.com/pages/AWeave...12666792139719

http://www.aweaverlawncare.com

Rhode Island Lawncare/Landscapers Networking Thread
http://lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=367380