Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 02-23-2014, 03:34 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Securing Z spray

Just got my 2012 Gmc 1 ton back from my welder after building a removable dovetail. The ramp is operated by a remote control winch. This truck is a multi use truck mowing, treatments, mulch, leaves and snow. It also has a dump hoist for mulch and leaves. My issue is how do I secure mowers, Z spray without anything being permanent? Have looked at Pro locker etc... not wide enough. Thanks for input
Attached Images

Old 02-23-2014, 03:37 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

dovetail

Additional pics
Attached Images

Old 02-23-2014, 07:24 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Nice truck...I was looking at doing that with a one ton...install some D rings in various postions and use wratchet straps
2 Sears electric weedeaters
1 green machine electric leaf blower
1 sears articulating hedge trimmer-electric
2 50ft power cords
3 Leaf rakes
1 shovel
1 pocket knife
cooler for beer
lawn chair to enjoy a beer while I wait for the cash to be handed to me
Old 02-23-2014, 07:37 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I've already got several on the bed I just have to leave room for the spray tank. I was thinking about the retractable kind that you bolt down.
Old 02-23-2014, 08:31 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Nice truck! Wish they would put some tie downs on the Zs.
Old 02-23-2014, 08:59 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodneyK View Post
Nice truck! Wish they would put some tie downs on the Zs.
Agreed. Nice truck!

I believe that is what the holes in the side frame pieces between the tank and hopper are for besides making the unit a bit lighter. However, I wouldn't count on only this for security.

To the OP. Some may think this is "redneck" or "hillbilly" but I want my trailers available for different duties at a moments notice(pro-locker type equipment does not allow this). We took a 4x4 treated post and made a 45 degree cut down the length of it. We then took the 2 halves and mounted them to a partial sheet of marine grade plywood just in front of and behind the rear wheels of our Z's using F-26 and a handful of short wood screws. We are able to easily remove the plywood with the mounted "chocks" whenever we need the trailer for something else. It keeps the Z in place very well and was a helluva lot cheaper than a pro-locker.
Old 02-23-2014, 09:18 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ted putnam View Post
Agreed. Nice truck!

I believe that is what the holes in the side frame pieces between the tank and hopper are for besides making the unit a bit lighter. However, I wouldn't count on only this for security.

To the OP. Some may think this is "redneck" or "hillbilly" but I want my trailers available for different duties at a moments notice(pro-locker type equipment does not allow this). We took a 4x4 treated post and made a 45 degree cut down the length of it. We then took the 2 halves and mounted them to a partial sheet of marine grade plywood just in front of and behind the rear wheels of our Z's using F-26 and a handful of short wood screws. We are able to easily remove the plywood with the mounted "chocks" whenever we need the trailer for something else. It keeps the Z in place very well and was a helluva lot cheaper than a pro-locker.
Exactly what my thinking is. I could be doing apps 3 days, mowing 1 or 2 days then throw in some clean-ups/ mulching. That's why I want the set up to be flexible! Thanks for the ideas!
Old 02-23-2014, 11:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Sell your lawn mowers and your mulch pitchfork. If you have enough lawn care to support three days a week you're ready to go apps only in my opinion..

Bitchin truck.
Old 02-24-2014, 12:23 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

mulching out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadzilla View Post
Sell your lawn mowers and your mulch pitchfork. If you have enough lawn care to support three days a week you're ready to go apps only in my opinion..

Bitchin truck.
Thanks, but I can't get completely out of the maintenance side. Commercial properties require 1 main contractor, 60 yds mulch, 9 acres of turf, etc.....
Old 02-24-2014, 11:40 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

My suggestion. Drill a small hole in the bed say 3/8 inch. Attach a 1/4 inch steel cable twice around the truck frame and secure with two cable clamps. Bring the cable up through the hole. Make a loop and apply a padlock--or attach a heavy forged steel hook. Attach to something strong on your Z-Spray.

You might need a short loop of chain on your Z frame to provide a convenient spot to hook up.

Remove hook or loop, pull cable down and wrap around frame when using the trailer for leaves. If it would interfere.

Last edited by RigglePLC; 02-24-2014 at 11:42 AM. Reason: add