Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-24-2014, 10:22 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I could see backing up on the proslide being even easier because it is rigid....

We had a guy that used to wear those heelies, you know the shoes with the rollers in the heals... And he would drag himself down the pavement and across driveways with them... They wouldn't work in the grass though....
Old 02-25-2014, 12:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronmg View Post
Thornton I like that suretrac!!! You get that at jarco ? Nice setup I'm getting mine ready to go as soon as this snow melts off...

Aaron
Yea I try to buy the trailer stuff from Jarco they seem to sell quality stuff and have good service for the stuff they sell.
Old 02-25-2014, 12:52 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armsden&Son View Post
Thornton Bud!!!

I am LOVING that Deere Walk behind....

Tell me more about it...

Looks like a 52 inch? How does it handle? Stripe?

I am a Walker guy myself but I am a huge fan of the 7 Iron deck.... Currently running a Scag Walk behind (If Walker was going to continue making them I would run Walker) and I have always loved Scag, I think they are bullet proof..

Anyway, I know the 7 Irons stripe great on the Deere Z's (I.E. Jr.s picture thread) but I have been looking at the Deere Walk behinds lately...

Here is a problem... THERE ARE LITERALLY SO MANY GREAT WALK BEHINDS CURRENTLY FOR OUR INDUSTRY, HOW IS A MAN TO DECIDE ON WHICH ONE IS BEST?!?! I WISH I COULD HAVE THEM ALL!!!!

P.S I would love a Turf Tracer too...

P.P.S I would love a Bob-Cat Z control hydro Walk Behind too...

P.P.P.S I would love a Snapper or Ferris Hydrocut too....
like orinick had stated the JD walks are basically Gravely Walk Behinds with a few minor differences , as for its performance no complaints it works fine and does a good job , I really like the loop handle design for actual mowing with the sulky , much better , but on really steep hills the pistol grips are better more tiresome but better control on the steep hills. I thought JD machines were nice , there price is just to high for what you get , I put a order in for snapper pro equipment , because a local dealer started carrying that line and he has good service and turn around times so as soon as equipment comes in next month I will post a pic of the new set up , these mowers pictured will be my back up machines. Man even though snow is money uggh can't wait till summer , by the end of winter I get so tired of plowing snow its not even funny. Anyhow Orinick what set up will you be running this year? Who are you dealing with since LH Jones went out of business and as far as I know nobody picked up the Gravely line locally did they?
Old 02-25-2014, 01:26 PM
LawnSite Member

I will be running gravely 252, my pro walk 52 scag tiger cat 48 and my john deere wide area on my 18 or 12' trailers. Mope, and preston power sports will have gravely,I never really liked mope but have started a pretty good relationship with them this winter. I really didn't buy much big parts at lh jones I would get all mine on line and fix them myself much cheaper that way( and I wouldn't have to wait forever at lhjones.) I might buy another gravely zero this summer, we will see how it goes. Lynn is up at middletown now, The jd walk behinds are nice but for 1500 less I can have my red paint.
Old 02-25-2014, 01:28 PM
LawnSite Member

Who are you buying the snapper from?
Old 02-25-2014, 02:35 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by orinicklawncare View Post
Who are you buying the snapper from?
Childs Feed in Kingwood , Randy is a good guy and snapper pro came with the best price out of all the local dealers , and they promise quick turnaround on maintenance etc , even though now that I will have back up mowers it will not be as important. Yea I went down and talked to Lynn last week at Middletown but there turn around for service is crazy long and like you said every price they gave me was a good bit higher than the other brands and on the zero turn wich in JD defense they have some pretty sweet options but it was about 3 to 5000 difference from snapper pro s200x but there is not a lot of options on the snapper pro line just the basic mower. They seem to have a nice cut though , at some point I hope to just deal with one dealer and not have to have a bunch of different stuff but for now we will see how the snapper pro's workout. The last time I stopped at preston power sports they only had husquavarna stuff , I will have check them out again , I was curios who would pick up the gravely line.
Old 02-25-2014, 03:35 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I can't stand dealers that drag their feet man....

I swear on my son's life there was a dealer I used to deal with right outside Boston that did EVERYTHING they could to get us in and out as quick as possible...

They were amazing!

I am interested to see how the snappers work for you.... I have heard good things and you can't argue with the price point....
Old 02-25-2014, 03:55 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by THORNTON SERVICES LLC View Post
What is the GVWR of your guys box trailers? I have a 7000lb 14ft but the tube frame is already denting and cracking where the springs hit underneath. The dealer said a 10,000 lb should be more than enough but I was thinking a 12000 GVWR , what do you guys recommend from past experience?
I have a Bravo 12' V-nose with a 6" tube frame. There's no reason why you couldn't get a 14'-16' tandem built with the same frame. Get 5K torsion axles under it and you'll never have another problem. The most important things are to not buy cheap or out of sales lot inventory. Buy it right, buy it once.

BTW, I have nothing new to show, for '14.

'13 Hustler X-ONE, 60", Kohler ECV749 EFI
'05 Hustler FasTrak, 42", Honda GXV530
'13 Toro Timemaster 30"
'02 Lawn Boy SilverPro 21"
Stihl BR600 blower
Stihl BG55 blower
Stihl FS55R trimmer
Stihl KM55R Kombi system
Stihl MS180C chain saw
Stihl HS45 hedge trimmer
RedMax Reciprocator
Echo SRM225 trimmer
Echo GT-2000 trimmer
Gravely WB edger
Husqvarna 580BTS blower
'06 Chevrolet Silverado
'13 Bravo Star, 7'X12', V-nose
Old 02-25-2014, 04:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armsden&Son View Post
I can't stand dealers that drag their feet man....

I swear on my son's life there was a dealer I used to deal with right outside Boston that did EVERYTHING they could to get us in and out as quick as possible...

They were amazing!

I am interested to see how the snappers work for you.... I have heard good things and you can't argue with the price point....
Yea the dealer really makes a big difference , they even gave me a discount off the regular price for switching to there mowers , of course I think you should get a discount when you spend over 20,000 with someone but JD as much as I like there equipment was kinda like yea you get green rewards la la la la and was kinda like they really didn't care a whole lot so hopefully I made a good investment , I guess we will see this summer.
Old 02-25-2014, 04:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
I have a Bravo 12' V-nose with a 6" tube frame. There's no reason why you couldn't get a 14'-16' tandem built with the same frame. Get 5K torsion axles under it and you'll never have another problem. The most important things are to not buy cheap or out of sales lot inventory. Buy it right, buy it once.

BTW, I have nothing new to show, for '14.
Yea you kinda hit the nail on the head there it was a nice sunny day and my girl and I were out driving around taking a rare day off and we went by a trailer place and there it was nice and shinny and on clearance I had gotten quotes from the trailer dealer I normally deal with and the trailer was a couple thousand less than the quotes I had gotten from the normal dealer and at first glance I thought man this is perfect , and yea you probally know the rest , buy radial tires for it , overlay the floor , lol so yea its funny how we seem to learn the same lessons over and over again don't buy cheap crap out of compulsion , lol regret it every time. Oh well its an ok storage unit that's portable