Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-23-2014, 08:58 PM
LawnSite Member

would you feel bad about this getting a job in this manner?

Today I pull up to mow a lawn of mine in a nice upper middle-class typical subdivision. I get off & edge the walks and then trim around the house and patio, and as I'm rounding the back of the house I see a guy right next door mowing the neighbor's house. It's just wide open back yards for the most part, no fences or anything. He's mowing with a 36" wb, and he sees me and shuts it down for a second and we exchange pleasantries. Then he gets back to it and I unload and mow.

I'm on a 48" Grandstand and he's walking, so I finish the back and I'm mowing the front when I see an older guy across the street waving at me and gesturing for me to come over. I shut down and walk across the street and he explains that he's looking for someone to mow his lawn. I say no problem and we start walking around the property. He explains that his guy that he's had for 10+ yrs quit mowing this year. We agree to a $45 price and as I'm entering his info into my phone so that I could get it into my records later, the guy that was mowing the neighbor's is now walking across the street at a rapid pace with his arms outstretched in a "wtf?" kinda way.

I say "do you know this guy?" to my newest customer, and he says "yeah I talked to him earlier, but now I don't need him anymore". I'm thinking "what in the hell is going on" when the other guy makes it over to us and says "I told you I'd come over when I was done damn it!". I'm wondering what in the world I'd just stepped into when the old guy says "I asked you when you pulled up if you'd like to talk to me real quick about mowing my lawn and that I didn't have much time til my doctor appointment, and you told me it would have to be after you finished mowing. This guy here was more than happy to come talk to me, but I've been standing out here for almost 45 minutes and NOW you want to come talk to me?". Other mower guy looks at me and says "I really could use some more customers, so thanks a lot for stealing one from me" and then he loaded up and left in a huff.

Should I feel kinda bad about this? I actually did initially, but the more I think about it.....I dunno.

Sweet lawn too btw. It was probably 6" tall since it hadn't been done yet this year. He tells me to just cut it down to 4.5" or so today if I wouldn't mind and then down to 3.5" from next week on.
Old 04-23-2014, 09:11 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozarkbilly View Post
Today I pull up to mow a lawn of mine in a nice upper middle-class typical subdivision. I get off & edge the walks and then trim around the house and patio, and as I'm rounding the back of the house I see a guy right next door mowing the neighbor's house. It's just wide open back yards for the most part, no fences or anything. He's mowing with a 36" wb, and he sees me and shuts it down for a second and we exchange pleasantries. Then he gets back to it and I unload and mow.

I'm on a 48" Grandstand and he's walking, so I finish the back and I'm mowing the front when I see an older guy across the street waving at me and gesturing for me to come over. I shut down and walk across the street and he explains that he's looking for someone to mow his lawn. I say no problem and we start walking around the property. He explains that his guy that he's had for 10+ yrs quit mowing this year. We agree to a $45 price and as I'm entering his info into my phone so that I could get it into my records later, the guy that was mowing the neighbor's is now walking across the street at a rapid pace with his arms outstretched in a "wtf?" kinda way.

I say "do you know this guy?" to my newest customer, and he says "yeah I talked to him earlier, but now I don't need him anymore". I'm thinking "what in the hell is going on" when the other guy makes it over to us and says "I told you I'd come over when I was done damn it!". I'm wondering what in the world I'd just stepped into when the old guy says "I asked you when you pulled up if you'd like to talk to me real quick about mowing my lawn and that I didn't have much time til my doctor appointment, and you told me it would have to be after you finished mowing. This guy here was more than happy to come talk to me, but I've been standing out here for almost 45 minutes and NOW you want to come talk to me?". Other mower guy looks at me and says "I really could use some more customers, so thanks a lot for stealing one from me" and then he loaded up and left in a huff.

Should I feel kinda bad about this? I actually did initially, but the more I think about it.....I dunno.

Sweet lawn too btw. It was probably 6" tall since it hadn't been done yet this year. He tells me to just cut it down to 4.5" or so today if I wouldn't mind and then down to 3.5" from next week on.
I'd say go for it. Some people just have no customer skills. I'm guilty a time or two myself being short with new customers, mainly from being stressed on some level.I always try to keep a look out for people looking and waving.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-23-2014, 09:14 PM
Sponsor

Wrong place at the wrong time. Better to take a step back in the future let the odd couple work it out between them selfs
easy-lift guy
Old 04-23-2014, 09:24 PM
LawnSite Member

You did nothing wrong. The other lawn guy had his chance..
Old 04-23-2014, 09:31 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Its a strange deal, but you had no way of knowing what what was going on..

I alaways take the time to simply say high to neighbors, if someone wants something done Ill stop what Im doing.
Old 04-23-2014, 09:38 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Hahahaha!!!

As my beloved grandpa would say... "You snooze, you lose!"

Do not feel bad, not one bit....

This gentleman asked you to come talk and you turned it into an account for yourself. Period. End of Story...

It is not your fault that this other guy doesn't have many clients.

It is not your fault that he decided to be lazy and not immediately go talk to the guy.

You did absolutely nothing wrong... If fact, you did everything right!
Old 04-23-2014, 10:26 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Yup, you did nothing wrong and that's poor customer service on the other guy. Why piss off someone instead of taking the 3 minutes to give the guy a price?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-23-2014, 10:50 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

You didnt steal a lawn from the guy. There was no guarrentee that he would have gotten the account.
Same thing as if the home owner had called several people in the phone book. You just showed up first.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-23-2014, 11:02 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Nah. It's certainly an uncomfortable situation, but that guy was probably more angry with himself than with you.

I'd only feel a little bad if he were decent about the whole thing, but it sounds like he was a bit of an ass, so screw him.

I'd try and work that job at a different time of day than when he's around though.
Old 04-23-2014, 11:10 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Ha you didn't do anything wrong, business is business, how are you gonna let someone stand outside for 45 minutes waiting to talk to you while you mow across the street?

This is a service industry, so customer service is key. Maybe he'd have more accounts if he wasn't such a dip sh!t.
Posted via Mobile Device