Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-02-2014, 09:12 AM
LawnSite Member

Auger Sizes for Planting / Hardscapes

I am planning to pickup an auger attachment for our DW SK650.

The plan is to use it to assist with planting projects, and the occasional fencing job we do. I am seeking some recommendations on what size augers to get? I think I'd only like to purchase two or maybe I can get by with one? I'm looking for advice.

Most our planting is containers #1, #5, #10 with occasional b&b plantings (maybe 50x a year)

Then a secondary questions is it practical to use the auger bit 3 times next to each other in a triangle pattern to create a bigger hole?

Is there any where else we may use the auger in landscape I'm not considering as part of auger size purchases? I might do a few deck footings from time to time but that's like a once a year job.

Thanks!
Old 03-02-2014, 09:37 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

for plantings a 18-24" would be the most universally effective. For fencing a 9-12" is ideal
Old 03-02-2014, 05:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

We have a 10" 18" 24" 36"
Use the 10" for posts. 18" for 3 gal shrubs. 24" for 5 to 15 gal shrubs 36" for small b&b and 45 gal or smaller trees. Backhoe for larger b&b trees
Old 03-02-2014, 10:26 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Just make sure the plant is a lot smaller than the round hole. Plants don't like round holes over the long term. We almost always dig square or rectangular for trees though that's inefficient for smaller plants/shrubs and auger would be a major time saver. What I've found, though, is I better have a lot of work to justify the expense of multiple auger heads as they are expensive down here with rock teeth.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid."

Twitter @Cedar_Clearing
Old 03-02-2014, 10:33 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

12" and 36"

12" and 36" bits for my mt52 work best.

36" for tree holes/big shrubs/BB to get them started, but we always de-glaze the holes as the edges of the auger will harden the clay soil here into rock like material that tree roots can't penetrate.

I also like the 12" for post holes as it it large enough to get working room around the posts, and we can use it for plantings if we need to.

I am not a huge fan of using small auger 12" for planting holes though, seems like more work than a guy with a good spade and a lot less disturbance. Plus we usually amend the soil heavily/loosen soils before planting anyway. We have to be doing a ton of holes in un-ammended soils here where the soil is perfect for planting which rarely happens!

I rent anything else we might need.

-Chris
Old 03-02-2014, 10:54 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I personally think the best way to dig a hole is by hand with a shovel. We use an auger on a skid steer every once in a while if we have lots of trees to plant, but otherwise I dig by hand.
Old 03-03-2014, 07:30 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Go with a 36" if it will spin in and a 9" for fencing. For smaller than 15 gallon size it is much quicker to dig with a shovel. Digging three holes in a triangle is better than nothing but ineffective if your making a habit out if it.
Posted via Mobile Device