Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-30-2000, 09:39 PM
LawnSite Member

I'm thinking of buying a used Ferris Hydro-walk 36 I ran across recently, and I'm wondering what I should look for in terms of wear & tear, common problems, etc. Also, what do you think of this mower? I need a mid-size to cut (and bag) zoysia and bermuda. This one has a 14 hp Kawasaki, a bagger, and a Velke. The seller wants $1500, and the machine looks to be in "fair" condition. Thanks for your comments.
Old 06-30-2000, 09:54 PM
LawnSite Member

We had one of these that was set upame way; in fact, we had ours rigged to run a small snowplow in the snow season. I guess our biggest complaint was that it seemed underpowered, particularly as the bagger filled. The cut was great, and, overall the maintenance problems were OK. Depending on total time, etc. I think that the price seems steep. No, we would not buy another single hydro machine.
Old 06-30-2000, 10:51 PM
LawnSite Member

We own two Ferris mowers. One is a 52" with a 17 Kaw. The other is a 61" with a 23 hp kaw. These are excellent mowers. They cut good and the hydros are adjustable for more speed.
Old 07-02-2000, 08:03 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I have a 1990 Woods CM-36 which was built by Woods using Ferris plans. While mine is only used as a backup now it was at one time my front line mower. These machines are built like brick outhouses. The single hydro transaxle takes some time to get used to though. It has a good quality of cut although high lift blades are recommended. If your Ferris has the Sauer-Sundstrand transaxle you can count on it to outlast a couple of engines before failure.
Old 07-02-2000, 09:06 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Chris-I can't beleve it!!!!I'm not the only one that plows with walk-behinds!!!How did you like it?I use a 1999 scag 14hp dual hydro.What did you like-dislike about useing them?????Let me know!<p>----------<br>from:Adam<br>AB Lawn Care
Old 07-02-2000, 10:15 PM
LawnSite Member

AB;<p>We only had it for a season or two. Worked OK on sidewalks until or unless the snow was mixed with slush &/or frozen. Unit was really a bit light for that sort of stuff. We don't have any more walk behinds now; sidewalks get blown with a snowblower or cleared with a skidloader.
Old 07-02-2000, 10:16 PM
LawnSite Member

AB;<p>We only had it for a season or two. Worked OK on sidewalks until or unless the snow was mixed with slush &/or frozen. Unit was really a bit light for that sort of stuff. We don't have any more walk behinds now; sidewalks get blown with a snowblower or cleared with a skidloader.
Old 07-03-2000, 09:29 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I guess it was underpowered then!I have not yet come across any snow my scag can't handle!<p>----------<br>from:Adam<br>AB Lawn Care
Old 07-03-2000, 08:09 PM
LawnSite Member

I've been using the 36&quot; Ferris for five years now and have had no problems at all. Even when my son seized it with no oil (he forgot after he put a new filter on)the machine still starts on first pull. I use 15W40 synthetic oil and a four blade set-up. Very easy to use...would certainly recommend as a first class mower.