Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-26-2014, 06:42 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Truck is a 1990 Peterbilt 379, pretty sure it started life as a tractor, has 425 cat, 8LL, jake, locking rears, 16' dump, pintle and air. This is exactly what I have been looking for for 5 years and got a smoking deal on it.

25 ton is what I thought was best too just most I find have a long deck and I work in tight areas a lot. I have seen the lift axle but I plan to buy used the new ones seem to be in the 30K+ ballpark and would rather get used and buy new down the road to save cash.
Dirtman would be great to see that trailer. Why didn't you go with another Kaufman?
Attached Images

Old 02-26-2014, 07:36 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Great looking pete
Old 02-26-2014, 08:25 PM
LawnSite Member

Nice clean looking truck, nice specs, good luck with it! Where did you end up finding it?
Old 02-26-2014, 11:37 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I'd give another vote for the 25 ton with front axle lift, but can understand the cost difference. Most, not all, but most "20 ton" tags are actually good to go with 20 tons of payload and their actual gross rating is closer to 48,000. Of course, that's all assuming correct weight distribution, blah, blah, blah. Can a 160 be hauled with a 20 ton tag? Absolutely, see it all the time. Just getting the right 20 ton for the job is the ticket but it can be done.

Go hard, go fast, or go home
Old 02-27-2014, 08:39 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEUSWEDE View Post
Truck is a 1990 Peterbilt 379, pretty sure it started life as a tractor, has 425 cat, 8LL, jake, locking rears, 16' dump, pintle and air. This is exactly what I have been looking for for 5 years and got a smoking deal on it.

25 ton is what I thought was best too just most I find have a long deck and I work in tight areas a lot. I have seen the lift axle but I plan to buy used the new ones seem to be in the 30K+ ballpark and would rather get used and buy new down the road to save cash.
Dirtman would be great to see that trailer. Why didn't you go with another Kaufman?

Nice clean truck! I know how it feels to search for years and everything you see is beat. It's worth the wait when you find the perfect one. I just bought a Mack tandem 6 months ago after a long search and can't be happier.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-27-2014, 09:34 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthmover View Post
Nice clean truck! I know how it feels to search for years and everything you see is beat. It's worth the wait when you find the perfect one. I just bought a Mack tandem 6 months ago after a long search and can't be happier.
Posted via Mobile Device
Yea this was perfect for my needs I kept bouncing back and forth between tri axles and tandems and thats what I liked about this was it was about the same length as most tandems but has the drop axle no way I will ever overload this truck!
Lets see the pic of your Mack!

On the trailer I am getting prices on a talbert and BWS 25 ton. Which both for just a regular tag look to be in the ball park of 27K ouch! I didn't even pay that for the truck!
Old 02-27-2014, 09:48 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I have a 25 ton Trail King triaxle, I like the ramps over the tilt deck. I can load two pieces on the trailer easier, and when the weather turns bad you don't have to worry about sliding off the trailer. Works awesome with CX160 and my triaxle Mack.

Proudly running CASE and Takeuchi equipment.
Old 02-27-2014, 10:20 PM
LawnSite Member

We just added a 25 ton Interstate trailer this past year. I have been hauling my Kobelco SK120 and now my SR135 on a 20 ton Eager Beaver for about 15 years. The 25 ton Interstate is a sweet trailer for sure, but it sure maneuvers differently. I love being able to haul the 650J and a TL130 on it at the same time. I even hauled my SR135 with my TL130 to a job last week. That is a time saver.
The only problem i have with pulling the 25 ton trailer, is that when it's slippery, it pushes me into a turn and then when I start to come out of the turn, it pulls the back of the truck to the inside of the turn. The 25 ton may end up behind the quad axle truck we are having put together, because it's a bit heavier than the KW T-800 that I pull it with now.
Attached Images

Old 02-27-2014, 10:44 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
I even hauled my SR135 with my TL130 to a job last week
I've always wondered if you could fit two machines of that size on a trailer, show some pics I'd like to see that setup.
Old 02-27-2014, 11:15 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcatexc View Post
I've always wondered if you could fit two machines of that size on a trailer, show some pics I'd like to see that setup.
I will load it up on Saturday and post a picture. It fits really nice. I put my ditching bucket for my 135 and the dirt bucket for the TL130 in the bed of the truck, then run the TL130 right to the front of the trailer, then the SR135 fits right behind it.