Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-04-2014, 12:15 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

drainage solution needed

The area....Between the two houses....from the point of the fence, to the in-ground concrete meter box, stays wet, all the time.

This customer wont use me for irrigation ? So, unfortunately, adjusting irrigation settings is not an option here.....
heck, maybe he is smart for it don't know....

None the less, that spot staying soaking wet, year long.....
and he IS willing to discuss drainage solutions. what can I do? it seems that the curb isnt the type one would want to cut into, maybe it can be jumped/flowed over?

one more thought, idea.....that dirt that exist near/at the point where the front door sidewalk meets the driveway, will become the most rock hard clay you have ever seen when temperatures warm up....
I was wondering if there is any way to recycle the damp area's water such that it can also intentionally wet-ten, a place nearby that is seemingly always dry.....

whatchuthink?
Attached Images

Old 03-04-2014, 12:48 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

wait, correction, my labels became lazy.

those "concrete meter boxes" are actually concrete boxes with basic 4" waste? line components i think, not meter boxes as i inocorrectly stated before.

the concrete meter boxes are on the other side of the driveway on both houses, unless I am mistaken.

( Iv never smelled anything that hinted waste....)
Old 03-04-2014, 04:01 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

i don't get the question? if the box is in a low spot it's going to fill with water. If the box is on grade with the rest of the property and the trench isn't compacted to the same compaction as the rest of the soil than the box is going to fill with water.
Old 03-04-2014, 06:00 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonV View Post
i don't get the question? if the box is in a low spot it's going to fill with water. If the box is on grade with the rest of the property and the trench isn't compacted to the same compaction as the rest of the soil than the box is going to fill with water.
??? I understand bits of what your saying, yes , yes.

But I do not understand it entirely I suppose?
Old 03-04-2014, 06:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

my guess is its a situation of dueling spray zones, probably tied into the fronts so they can't really be timed down. find a way to reduce output on the heads in that area.

if not an option, solve it with drainage. as far as an outlet, the front doesn't look like an option, whats in the back?
where do the leaders go to? can you tie into them? either at a downspout, a spot on the lateral, or at the outlet?

Sidelots in developments can be tricky, often little thought is given to drainage relative to the irrigation.
Old 03-04-2014, 06:32 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Although your local officials my not like it, if it was my house and I couldn't get the area to drain by digging through the clay (in my area this can usually be done by digging 3-5 feet to sand) this is what I would do.

-dig trench 18" deep length of wet area
-line trench with filter fabric
-lay 4" perforated sdr 35 in the bottom
-plumb sdr in a basin
-fill with gravel to 4" below grade
-wrap fiter fabric over gravel
-top dress trench with well draining soil
-install sump pump in basin
-plumb pump discharge to edge of curb with the outlet level with grade so when it kicks on it shoots out of the ground over the curb and down the street.

But, we do what ever we want out here, your mileage may vary.
Old 03-04-2014, 07:29 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmonster304 View Post
Although your local officials my not like it, if it was my house and I couldn't get the area to drain by digging through the clay (in my area this can usually be done by digging 3-5 feet to sand) this is what I would do.

-dig trench 18" deep length of wet area
-line trench with filter fabric
-lay 4" perforated sdr 35 in the bottom
-plumb sdr in a basin
-fill with gravel to 4" below grade
-wrap fiter fabric over gravel
-top dress trench with well draining soil
-install sump pump in basin
-plumb pump discharge to edge of curb with the outlet level with grade so when it kicks on it shoots out of the ground over the curb and down the street.

But, we do what ever we want out here, your mileage may vary.
You know,
I bought one of those wall mount time-metered smell-good sprayers to have here in the house, (you know, the type which every thirty minutes you hear "shhhhhhhhh" and might see a puff of smell-good mist falling in the air)

God help me if the sump pump hits pedestrians with the consistency that the smell-good spray has of scenting my head "rain-forest fresh", seemingly everytime i walk in front of it.
....I must have it on motion sensor setting or something.

Thank you for that share!! Please forgive my annoying messages full of questions soon to come as a result of learning this. I have always wanted to know the secrets of the best methods of wiring, beautifully, the power to the sump pump.
I have a float pump at my house but it teaches me very little about good-looking A/C wiring, pump to house, (as i assume it should be in small suburb)

at my hose (hopefully hidden) within back yard , I was able to learn (yet only) :
pump cord ---> 4x4post stub which has an outlet --->wires running underground to house-exterior mounted breaker box, feed from gray pvc conduit from ground
Old 03-04-2014, 07:44 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Without A Drought View Post
my guess is its a situation of dueling spray zones, probably tied into the fronts so they can't really be timed down. find a way to reduce output on the heads in that area.

if not an option, solve it with drainage. as far as an outlet, the front doesn't look like an option, whats in the back?
where do the leaders go to? can you tie into them? either at a downspout, a spot on the lateral, or at the outlet?

Sidelots in developments can be tricky, often little thought is given to drainage relative to the irrigation.
Back yard immediately behind gate slopes a good deal toward back neighbor, I think back neighbor continues the slope thoughout it's distance to the bottom, at the street in front of That house.

I am very curious about those 4" pipes too, because:

ive never seen them before, and secondly,

I could not tell from the good hearted oriental man's dialect what EXACTLY he was saying, but do think I understood him saying that:
"the city has been out to check the (flooding), but they said nothing could be done."

So that is why....this is a challenge i really want to conquer.

"It cant be done" does not apply to me.
It must be fixed, that's that.
Old 03-04-2014, 07:58 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Im mean, humbly, with the Devine's, and yall's help, of course!
Old 03-04-2014, 08:02 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

does the city own the property? why would they do something?

you mentioned a sewer clean out box, i don't think we have those here, but maybe under a different name. either way, you probably can't tie into a black water system. but does the standing water smell septic? is it possible that the sewer is clogged? i doubt it, but you never know.

is your irrigation systems shut off or turned down for the winter? do you still have standing water? if not, that leans things towards a timing/system issue.

long story, try to determine the cause of the problem before coming up with a solution. then you can solve the problem in the most efficient manor.

good luck bud.