Register free!

Old 02-26-2014, 09:17 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

My ferro magnetic locator picks up rods buried vertical in the ground like nobody's business. Why not drive the rod in next to the sleeve at each end?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-26-2014, 10:28 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmonster304 View Post
My ferro magnetic locator picks up rods buried vertical in the ground like nobody's business. Why not drive the rod in next to the sleeve at each end?
Posted via Mobile Device
Past experience has been that vertical pins become very hard to find once they're removed. Most disappear during excavation, sub grade, asphalt or just cause somebody tripped on them.

Laying horizontal in the tube there's a hit on each end and a null in the middle. Pretty easy to find and there's nothing to lose.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-26-2014, 11:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

IED's my friend, just hire your local taliban member to build, small scale of course, then when your ready to locate, simple cell phone should set them off you are set, all excavated and ready to go.

Not exactly how they work, but they must.
Old 02-27-2014, 08:58 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Take pictures and videos
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-27-2014, 09:37 AM
LawnSite Member

Could you go back a couple of months later and mark/take pics once you have a reference point?
Old 02-27-2014, 10:10 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I don't think it is the answer BUT my metal detector was -$300 and will discriminate metals. I can set it to find copper or whatever. Also in open mode the different metals sound different. A piece of aluminum will sound totally different than all the rebar and nails. It will detect down to about 16" if the target is fair sized or set to iron it can go deeper. It can pinpoint a target. If you put aluminum in those sleeves I could find them in a few minutes as long as you could tell me where abouts to start looking. A metal detector is big and goofy looking and is a huge distraction from work.
Old 02-27-2014, 10:50 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobw View Post
Kiril, Jim - GPS signals come in two types, L1 and L2. The regular signals (L1) have about a 2m (6 1/2 ft) degree of accuracy, which is too much error factor for us. Almost all GPS receivers use regular. Survey grade survey devices use the L2 and can use RTK (a real time correction setup) to get down to 1/10m (4") accuracy. That's what I dream of. Unfortunately, you're looking 15-20K to set that up. Also, there is a pretty steep learning curve. A huge advantage is that you can go and do a very accurate As-Built quite easily. Jim - If you've found sub-decimeter accuracy for $3500, please, please let me know what you found....
Bob, you can find a used survey grade unit for less than 10K, they exist if you look around, but do you really need that kind of accuracy to map & (re)locate a few assets? It takes time to setup a RTK base station, probably as much time as it would for you to physically locate the asset once your in the ballpark with a mapping grade GPS unit and a GIS map of the site.

What I was trying to get at is your cheapo mapping grade GPS unit, while less than accurate, it still gets you in the ballpark for locating a handful of assets. Couple that with post processing and an accurate GIS map of the site and your ballpark just became much much smaller. Verify your assets with physical measurements (control points) transferred to your GIS map and you end up with an accurate map. Use open source GIS applications to reduce your overhead.

Certainly this requires some additional steps and more back end processing to generate a relatively accurate map of the site to be used for return visits, but it also won't cost you 20K+ for a survey grade unit either.

Last edited by Kiril; 02-27-2014 at 10:54 AM.
Old 02-27-2014, 11:33 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I pm'd you the contact number for an EMS locator. There is one in stock at this time.
Posted via Mobile Device

Btw. I'm with chief on your gps accuracy requirements.
Old 02-27-2014, 01:53 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

there's always Ground Penetrating Radar...
Old 02-27-2014, 02:34 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

We pound metal T posts in the ground. Like what they use for silt fencing at each end of the sleeve.

Maybe put a T post IN the sleeve before you tape up the ends, should be able to find that with a metal detector.

We also take field measurements if we can for as-builts.
NC Irrigation Contractors License #157
NC Licensed Plumbing Contractor #32636

Since 1994

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Koste...c/284215458045