Register free!

Old 03-07-2014, 09:07 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

OR... With a combination of common sense and experience you can find them. i.e. Look for the cracks in new concrete, if it makes sense that a sleeve would be thee it probably is under the crack.

I don't know much about concrete or why it does it, but a crack in new concrete is a huge indicator that there is a sleeve.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-07-2014, 11:05 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobw View Post
IC - You've got the essence of my problem;

So, if I understand correctly, you're running the pipe to fill the sleeve and/or control wire as well when you install the sleeve. Then you stub up several feet so that it's above grade. Eventually come back and cut the stub down to the correct depth under surface.

Love everything about it other than we'd never be able to back charge when they go missing, and then we'd be out more $ when we can't find them and/or they're destroyed.
I understand it is not always possible to back-charge, but with the stub-outs and markers damage is kept to a minimum.

Someone asked, so let me clarify.

Our typical trench for a sleeve is 24" and when we put the sleeving pipe in the trench we also install the laterals or mainline piping at the same time along with any control wires. At the end of each lateral or mainline pipe, we install a 90 elbow, glue a 5'-6' piece of pipe with a cap on it, then wrap the control wires around the pipe. We pound 3 grading markers around our pipe stubs with some fluorescent marking tape and paint the pipe/cap with bright colored paint.

After paving and flatwork we return to install the irrigation. At the end of each sleeve we excavate down just enough to cut the pipe to glue on another 90 elbow...then run with it.

Sometimes our sleeves end up 3 feet plus down, so if we did not already have our lines already installed from when we installed the sleeves we would have not only have to dig down to locate the sleeve; we also would have to clear enough room to push the pipe through the sleeve. Many of our projects require 2.5" or 3.0" mainline which does not flex much, so at times you would have to not only dig the end of the sleeve, but also run a gradual trench just to install the pipe in the sleeve.

Hope this makes more sense and we have been doing this for 15 plus years with great success. Our crews really do not know any other way at this point.

We send shop drawings with the crews noting the sleeve locations along with pipe sizes and wire that requires installation within the sleeves.
Old 03-09-2014, 12:52 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irrigation Contractor View Post
I understand it is not always possible to back-charge, but with the stub-outs and markers damage is kept to a minimum.

Someone asked, so let me clarify.

Our typical trench for a sleeve is 24" and when we put the sleeving pipe in the trench we also install the laterals or mainline piping at the same time along with any control wires. At the end of each lateral or mainline pipe, we install a 90 elbow, glue a 5'-6' piece of pipe with a cap on it, then wrap the control wires around the pipe. We pound 3 grading markers around our pipe stubs with some fluorescent marking tape and paint the pipe/cap with bright colored paint.

After paving and flatwork we return to install the irrigation. At the end of each sleeve we excavate down just enough to cut the pipe to glue on another 90 elbow...then run with it.

Sometimes our sleeves end up 3 feet plus down, so if we did not already have our lines already installed from when we installed the sleeves we would have not only have to dig down to locate the sleeve; we also would have to clear enough room to push the pipe through the sleeve. Many of our projects require 2.5" or 3.0" mainline which does not flex much, so at times you would have to not only dig the end of the sleeve, but also run a gradual trench just to install the pipe in the sleeve.

Hope this makes more sense and we have been doing this for 15 plus years with great success. Our crews really do not know any other way at this point.

We send shop drawings with the crews noting the sleeve locations along with pipe sizes and wire that requires installation within the sleeves.
I like it! TY!

Last edited by RhettMan; 03-09-2014 at 12:53 AM. Reason: Thank god for edit.
Old 03-09-2014, 01:29 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

After trenching up all along a parking lot island..down to 4 or so feet,also 2 feet under the curb...I ask the person who installed them where the darn sleeves are located....he tells me to look for the sand! I toss him a shovel and watch as he quickly digesting, hoping to show me up. 2 hours later nada...