Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-07-2014, 07:02 AM
LawnSite Member

Ok I just read through all 9 pages. Did the guy ever call you back?
Old 03-07-2014, 10:10 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA GrassChoppers View Post
Ok I just read through all 9 pages. Did the guy ever call you back?
Nope, i was giving it til tonight (Friday) and he didn't. Kind of disappointed, but i have better ideas for commercial properties that are much smaller. And will suit me better as of 2014 anyways. Small family owned places, like their is an insurance company here close that a single guy owns and not a big company, and a dentist office, also a vet is here close too. I want to try for at least a few commercial properties.
Old 03-07-2014, 11:18 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwalz View Post
Nope, i was giving it til tonight (Friday) and he didn't. Kind of disappointed, but i have better ideas for commercial properties that are much smaller. And will suit me better as of 2014 anyways. Small family owned places, like their is an insurance company here close that a single guy owns and not a big company, and a dentist office, also a vet is here close too. I want to try for at least a few commercial properties.

Funny thing is, the guy probably got a lower price than yours.

You're 36" will dominate smaller properties anyway…nothing wrong to try and take one on like this shopping center occasionally (after all you need one or two BEFORE you run out and buy a bigger mower) but you'll make better money and likely have less competition for smaller ones, where "the big boys" are going to not want to waste time jamming in a big rider.
Old 03-08-2014, 01:35 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPendagast View Post
Funny thing is, the guy probably got a lower price than yours.

You're 36" will dominate smaller properties anyway…nothing wrong to try and take one on like this shopping center occasionally (after all you need one or two BEFORE you run out and buy a bigger mower) but you'll make better money and likely have less competition for smaller ones, where "the big boys" are going to not want to waste time jamming in a big rider.
Well i know from my experience the past few years, with my 21" went fast for the most part on smaller properties, and my 36" will dominate. Smaller properties get done a lot quicker, where you could maybe do one bigger job in an hour for $40. I could do 2 smaller ones providing they were close for $30 each and still get done before that hour is up. So i want to stick with smaller properties. I have 3 properties this year that are right next to each other, a 3/4 acre total between them, i can get them done super fast. About a lil over an hour with trimming. That's $75 for a lil over an hour of work. That's real good money.
Old 03-08-2014, 04:25 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwalz View Post
Well i know from my experience the past few years, with my 21" went fast for the most part on smaller properties, and my 36" will dominate. Smaller properties get done a lot quicker, where you could maybe do one bigger job in an hour for $40. I could do 2 smaller ones providing they were close for $30 each and still get done before that hour is up. So i want to stick with smaller properties. I have 3 properties this year that are right next to each other, a 3/4 acre total between them, i can get them done super fast. About a lil over an hour with trimming. That's $75 for a lil over an hour of work. That's real good money.
There ya go! That's exactly what I was saying a few days ago on here. Sometimes a big property will bog you down and actually eat into your profit because you can be bangin out smaller properties. I have 5 yards all within walking/parking distance on one street! That is where I make good money. I can bang them out, and bring up my hourly net profit. Stay positive, and don't look at NOT getting a property as a failure, because it wasn't/isn't. It just wasn't tailored to your operation.
2012 21" Honda HRC-216 mower
2013 Exmark Commercial 30#1
2013 Exmark Commercial 30#2
2014 Exmark Lazer Z S Series EFI 52
Mclane 25" Reel Mower
2010 Husqvarna 21" mower
2008 Stihl FS250R Trimmer
2010 Stihl FS90R Trimmer
200? Stihl FC75 Edger
2013 Stihl BR 600 Blower
2013 Stihl HS81 t Hedge Trimmer
2014 Stihl SH 86 C E Blower Vac