Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-27-2014, 08:40 PM
LawnSite Member

Please don't cut it for 100.00 dollars..
Old 02-27-2014, 08:53 PM
LawnSite Member

I would go $150 but that's a pretty blind bid just from that aerial view.

-----------------------------------
My Equipment:
2011 F-150 Ecoboost(Work Truck)
2012 Maserati GranTurismo MC Stradale(Daily Driver)
2015 Pace-American 7x16 Enclosed Trailer
2014 American Mfg 6x10 High Side Utility Trailer
Old 02-27-2014, 10:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffH1 View Post
I would go $150 but that's a pretty blind bid just from that aerial view.
yea true, we are supposed to get ice the next few days so idk if i will be able to go and get pics. I would like to call the guy back asap if i can, I'm thinking $175 - $200 would be decent prices. It's about 15 miles away from where I live, so it's not that far. I really want this job, would $175 b a good price? Or should i just bid a nice even $200.
Old 02-28-2014, 05:10 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Id suggest bidding around the 200 mark because you may regret it after a while for the 100. Better to bid a bit higher and NOT get it, than to realize you bid too low later on.

I would also think you would want the sulky for that job to get your groundspeed up enough to make some $.

Here is two different ways I might go about bidding that job.
1. Either bid high, and go with the 200 per cut number.

OR, better yet...

2. Tell them you would like the opportunity to cut it once for 100.00 as a discount for calling your company, and that will allow you to provide them a better and more accurate bid. I would also suggest mentioning that your initial thought is to provide a bid of 200. Now they may see it as your giving the first mowing for half price, AND you can watch their nonverbal when you mention that figure of 200 bucks if you doing this face to face. Inform them that it also gives them the opportunity to see the quality of your work, and how it will look when completed. They will probably say go for it, and then you can better determine what you need to bid for the job so that you don't underbid. Then if it takes WAY longer than you expected, and you bid higher than originally anticipated, they got a deal for one mowing, and you figured out where you need to be to make money. All thats left to do after that is wait for them to say yes...or no.

Just a thought....
2012 21" Honda HRC-216 mower
2013 Exmark Commercial 30#1
2013 Exmark Commercial 30#2
2014 Exmark Lazer Z S Series EFI 52
Mclane 25" Reel Mower
2010 Husqvarna 21" mower
2008 Stihl FS250R Trimmer
2010 Stihl FS90R Trimmer
200? Stihl FC75 Edger
2013 Stihl BR 600 Blower
2013 Stihl HS81 t Hedge Trimmer
2014 Stihl SH 86 C E Blower Vac
2014 Stihl KM130R edger and trimmer shafts
200? Billy Goat AE550 Core Aerator

Last edited by rbljack; 02-28-2014 at 05:15 AM.
Old 02-28-2014, 05:22 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Tried to edit my post, but didn't get it in time. After reviewing those pics again...I think I would go 125 as the "intro cut" and suggest 250 to them for the initial thought for the bid. I think that would bring you close to where you would want to be. Good luck, and let us know how it turns out.
2012 21" Honda HRC-216 mower
2013 Exmark Commercial 30#1
2013 Exmark Commercial 30#2
2014 Exmark Lazer Z S Series EFI 52
Mclane 25" Reel Mower
2010 Husqvarna 21" mower
2008 Stihl FS250R Trimmer
2010 Stihl FS90R Trimmer
200? Stihl FC75 Edger
2013 Stihl BR 600 Blower
2013 Stihl HS81 t Hedge Trimmer
2014 Stihl SH 86 C E Blower Vac
2014 Stihl KM130R edger and trimmer shafts
200? Billy Goat AE550 Core Aerator
Old 02-28-2014, 10:25 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwalz View Post
yea true, we are supposed to get ice the next few days so idk if i will be able to go and get pics. I would like to call the guy back asap if i can, I'm thinking $175 - $200 would be decent prices. It's about 15 miles away from where I live, so it's not that far. I really want this job, would $175 b a good price? Or should i just bid a nice even $200.
No way Id do that job for less than $200 but if you really want it nothing wrong with $175-$200. As much as you want that job if there are guys where you are that are like the ones saying $100 here, you won't get it and youre better off. $100 is crazy unless you're extremely desperate for work. Good luck with it, though. I hope you get it at your price.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-28-2014, 10:30 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenningsLandscaping View Post
I wouldn't get another 36, seriously look into a used larger turf tracer. If you're doing commercial and large residentials, get a 60" and fly through them. The increase in efficiency over the 36 will pay for itself in less than a week.
Posted via Mobile Device
TWO 36s isn't a good idea.

IF you get a property this big. you CAN cut it, with the intention of earning enough money, or picking up enough of these to validate a bigger mower.

You'd be surprised how much more you can do with just a 48 or a 52"

you don't necessarily need a 60", they are far far less versatile anywhere else on jobs.

Go up in size incrementally. You never know, this could be the only bigger job you get for a while.
Collect a few of these and you're going to be glad you have that 48 or 52.

I wouldn't go out and get a 60" just yet.
Old 02-28-2014, 10:43 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbljack View Post
Id suggest bidding around the 200 mark because you may regret it after a while for the 100. Better to bid a bit higher and NOT get it, than to realize you bid too low later on.

I would also think you would want the sulky for that job to get your groundspeed up enough to make some $.

Here is two different ways I might go about bidding that job.
1. Either bid high, and go with the 200 per cut number.

OR, better yet...

2. Tell them you would like the opportunity to cut it once for 100.00 as a discount for calling your company, and that will allow you to provide them a better and more accurate bid. I would also suggest mentioning that your initial thought is to provide a bid of 200. Now they may see it as your giving the first mowing for half price, AND you can watch their nonverbal when you mention that figure of 200 bucks if you doing this face to face. Inform them that it also gives them the opportunity to see the quality of your work, and how it will look when completed. They will probably say go for it, and then you can better determine what you need to bid for the job so that you don't underbid. Then if it takes WAY longer than you expected, and you bid higher than originally anticipated, they got a deal for one mowing, and you figured out where you need to be to make money. All thats left to do after that is wait for them to say yes...or no.

Just a thought....

What is your $200 price BASED on?

You think he should be charging $90-$100 per hour?

You think this job is going to take 4 hours?

People have been throwing prices all over the place from $150-$300 like it's an auction.

Look at this… you guys ALL do this, THEN you come on this forum and grumble about how you lost this bid or that.

If you were ALL bidding this job, and there wasn't a single guy bidding this job who was not from lawn site. Several of you would lose this job to each other!
ALL based on blind guesses.

SWAG (scientific wild A$$ guess) is no way to do this business, not only that, but then get all bent out of shape when your random gambling method doesn't win the jobs you want?

WHY are you bidding 150 or 200 or 300?

Because it's big?

It's not really.

How many of you mow an acre of property for $100 or more?

This job is between 2 and 2.5 acres of grass, with no exact sq footage obtained.

60" ZTRs cut about 4 acres an hour… most residentials have a TON more weed whacking than these big open triangles.

The little islands in the center, if anyone read all the way through DO NOT have grass in them.

So what about this job makes ANYone think there is $200 of work?

And PLEASE…raise your hand if you're getting $100 to cut an acre of grass, because I'm moving to your neighborhood to make it rich!

and PS…I would have a friend help me just for the company. This is ALL cutting and very little else to do… he'd just be standing there for over an hour while you cut.
I would Solo this. (unless you had another production mower)

Last edited by TPendagast; 02-28-2014 at 10:49 AM.
Old 02-28-2014, 10:44 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

There's no possible way I'd buy new/replacement/bigger equipment for that one property. I have equipment sizes on either side of yours and wouldn't hesitate to break out my 30" on that, if that's what I had. There's nothing wrong with using a 36" on it. This site is rife with the idea of having the perfect sized equipment for every job. You don't need it.

Go to findlotsize.com and measure those individual areas, then, go from there. Once you get an accurate area established, figure off that. You should have a rough idea what you can cover in an hour. It's such a basic mow, it'll be easy.

Even though it's ~15mi away, if you can snag it for $175, or higher, I'd definitely go for it. The owner probably has other properties, too. If he starts flipping other stuff to you, and a larger mower makes business sense, then start thinking about more/larger equipment.

'13 Hustler X-ONE, 60", Kohler ECV749 EFI
'05 Hustler FasTrak, 42", Honda GXV530
'13 Toro Timemaster 30"
'02 Lawn Boy SilverPro 21"
Stihl BR600 blower
Stihl BG55 blower
Stihl FS55R trimmer
Stihl KM55R Kombi system
Stihl MS180C chain saw
Stihl HS45 hedge trimmer
RedMax Reciprocator
Echo SRM225 trimmer
Echo GT-2000 trimmer
Gravely WB edger
'14 Ariens Compact 24" Sno-Thro
'08 Troy Bilt Squall 2100
'06 Chevrolet Silverado
'13 Bravo Star, 7'X12', V-nose
Old 02-28-2014, 10:47 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

[QUOTE=rbljack;
OR, better yet...

Just a thought....[/QUOTE]

This is what I often do with residentials. Most times the first estimate is accurate, but I leave myself a little wiggle room in case I miss calculated. I am not sure if this would go over well on a commercial property like this, but it is worth a try.

Tags
bid , center , price , shopping