Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-31-2000, 12:46 PM
LawnSite Member

I bill my clients after every 4th mowing which turns out to be monthly for the weekly customers. Is this the "norm"?
In the spring this billing cycle kinda stinks because I'm out working my tail off with no $money$ comming in for at least a month. How do you pay your help when you haven't been paid for a single job yet? Of course I have spring clean up $money$ (I make them pay upon finishing the job).
Do some of you guys make your clients pre-pay the first month? I personally think that's a good idea but not sure if the customers will think the same?? Maybe a 10% discount for first month pre-pays??

Also, what do you think about uniforms? I mow in jeans and a T-shirt (New Lawn Outdoor Services and the ph#) I don't know if a standard uniform would make me appear more professional or just uncomfortable? One more thing my helper wants to trim with his shirt off "Catch some rays" I said NO WAY! looks too scrubby! Waht do you think am I too stuck on image? I never mow with my shirt off because I have both nipples pierced and wow does it turn on the older ladies!!!
Old 08-31-2000, 01:11 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Bill at the beginning of the month.

Offer a 6-7% discount when pre-paying the entire season - gives you some operating capital.

Shirts on at all times. Style unimportant, just name and logo will do. Jeans are hotter than professional work pants.

Customers want service completed before paying? That's not the way the post-office, rubbish service, phone service, cable service or any service is paid for.

"The value of services greatly diminishes after the service is completed."
Old 08-31-2000, 01:55 PM
LawnSite Addict

Every business process is normal to bill at the end of the month. Gauge your customers and see if that anyone if not a couple wouldn't mind if you can bill them at the end of the week in the spring, atleast for the first 2-3 weeks. I am always broke in the spring and found that alot of people in the trade say even though they are working that's the time they have least capital. Ask nicely, most people that pay their bills are understanding, maybe even offer them a discount if they pay after each cut.

Best wishes.
Old 08-31-2000, 06:27 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Nipple Caution

You are lucky you don't take the shirt off - besides the old ladies the sun is a great supplier of heat and metal is a great conductor. You would be walkin around with 2 big red you know whats if ya mowed with the shirt off.

Old 09-01-2000, 12:25 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Usually on the first of the month. Since Sept has 5 Fridays, I'll bill after Saturday's work is done.

Endless Summer Lawn Care
Portsmouth, VA
Old 09-01-2000, 01:50 AM
LawnSite Member

Frankly, i think one should just suck it up and wait for the normal month Bill day, there's know good, correct, or proper way to tell someone, "You Pay now, I cut later". I mean, it's just not the sign of a pro. and not that we all are pros, but we all need to act like Pros. However, if they **ASK YOU** if they can pay in advance, bro by all-means, seize the moment and ride that pony, maN! ride, ride,ride! Move quickly, move swiftly..faster then the speed of light cause remember Big ED, you know the one, 6'4" 270lbs, your employee?...well, he wants his money like uhh YESTERDAY!!! So, with ED in mind, attack man, attACK!!!...go after it like a Hungry-Hawk chasin after a meal, but remember to keep the smile & the salavating down to a M I N U M U M, there will be time for that when u get back to the truck, hEhE! Anyway, then and only then say, "Uhhh Pay in advance, whyyyyy sure Maam, that would suit me just in time, I MENT FINE!"
But if you must, as some have already stated, offer them A discount.
Just my OPin!

P.S. Tell ED i said Hi! (hEhE)

[Edited by Kevin Graham (KG) on 09-01-2000 at 03:14 PM]
Old 09-01-2000, 09:20 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

We bill on the last day of the mounth for most cust. have a few at mid mounth. KEEP SHIRTS ON AT ALL TIMES!!!!!!!.
Dickies at k-mart are cheeper lighter and hold up great.

Phil. 4:6-7
Old 09-01-2000, 09:37 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I begin passing out bills the beginning of the third week of the month, or 10 work days before the end of the month, whichever comes first. Since I pass out nearly all my bills as I go along my routes, this ensures that all bills are handed out by the end of the month, whether the frequency of cut is weekly or bi-weekly. I mark all my bills with a due date listed 15 days after the bill was made (usually around the 5th of the next month).

This system works well, but there are always your late-payers. Since putting the due date clearly marked atop the bill, however, late-payers have become somewhat more prompt and I get calls frequently from customers apologizing to me for missing a due date and promising to drop the check in the mail right away.

However, it still seems like I never have enough money in the Spring (Summer, Winter, and Fall, too. )

-TGC
Old 09-01-2000, 12:27 PM
LawnSite Addict

Well Said kevin

I think (lol)
Old 09-01-2000, 12:27 PM
Millenium Member

I send out my invoices on the 1st or 2nd of the month, the due date is the 15th of the month. This makes is fair for both, I've usully mowed it twice before payment, and will mow it twice after payment. If someone was to try not paying I would only be out 2 mowings instead of 4.

Ray